DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Just wondering how the weather effects your systems? I know heat and amps dont mix well but do your subs like warm weather more? From my casual experience with subs in the past, they don't sound as nice in winter time, guess 'cause rubber gets more rigid? Or are the higher quality subs made with better material and more resistant to this??
Does the extreme cold bring out more noise and vibrations in your ride that you dont hear in summer? How do you anticipate this during the design phase? more sound dampening?

Does high humidity affect your systems also? I was driving around one night with the humidity near 90% and it sounded like my sub reaching excursion limit but I wasn't playing music louder than i ever had before. Driving home that night I noticed the sub amp wouldn't power on. The next day I checked and sure enough I had blown the powerline fuse at the battery (25amps on 8gauge wire). I know there's probably other factors involved but does humidity effect your systems too?

· Registered
12,625 Posts
ya, all the soft parts of speakers get more rigid whne it is cold. subs tend to output less, midbass are softer, tweeters get a little more bright.

I suppose if the humidity was high enough you could have gotten condensation that caused a fuse to blow.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Absofuckinglutely. It's insane how much climate effects the overall sound of your system. On my own car I tune minimum 6 times a year out of necessity.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats crazy 6 times? you have snow where you are? Aside from materials stiffening and getting brittle do you all notice a loss of power or output from your systems during cold weather (system in general dont sound as loud as usual or not bump as much)?

How do you tune for different weather? Do you just move all your levels up or down? How do you tune or negate a door that rattles more in cold than warm weather?

Absofuckinglutely. It's insane how much climate effects the overall sound of your system. On my own car I tune minimum 6 times a year out of necessity.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

· Blue Collar Audiophile
15,987 Posts
Here in Arkansas it gets HOT and humid enough to need gills during the summer. My system always has a "loose" sound to it. Guess from soft parts getting more flexible than they should be? I'll do some tonality tuning a couple times a year. Just depends on how much the sound has changed over time.

· Banned
24,246 Posts
Thats crazy 6 times? you have snow where you are? Aside from materials stiffening and getting brittle do you all notice a loss of power or output from your systems during cold weather (system in general dont sound as loud as usual or not bump as much)?

How do you tune for different weather? Do you just move all your levels up or down? How do you tune or negate a door that rattles more in cold than warm weather?
Im in NY and we get snow. It just is what it is. One of my customers comes to me once a month to readjust the tune, and it changes. i have the measurements somewhere to prove it. maybe i'll do a before and after next time he comes. You guys should have seen SVR. Just from the elevation and maybe the fact that we were inside(?) messed with almost everyones car. The first day was a mad scramble for everyone to get their cars sounding right again.

· Registered
8,612 Posts
I don't bother. Same tune all year long. In the morning when it's cooler and/or the humidity is higher, the bass sounds a bit tighter... somewhat choked. I just crack the windows since I enjoy a bit of fresh air anyway. In the afternoon when the temp is higher and humidity is lower, it plays fine like where it is normally tuned. I don't fiddle with it because I know later in the day it will straighten up. Same tune in the winter, fall, summer, etc. By understanding those differences, you'd drive yourself crazy if you keep adjusting knowing that it's going to change again. Of course, I'm in Florida where temp extremes aren't so often.

· Registered
3,050 Posts
I had a mono amp that wouldn’t turn on until it warmed up a little bit a while ago on those really cold days. I noticed my sub is subdued when cold but that is what a bass volume knob is for. Not enough bass, just a slight turn on that knob and it’s fixed.

· Registered
73 Posts
Gotta let everything warm up properly inside the vehicle but the cold winter is good for the voltage :D

· Registered
31 Posts
I've noticed this absolutely.

Definitely noticed it sounds a little "sloppier" on hot humid days, but less rattles. Lots more "boomy" bass, I'll turn the sub down.

I have little tolerance for cold weather, add onto that a stereo that sounds crummy when it's freezing and all the rattles that the cold, shrunken, brittle plastic panels bring with it, it's enough to drive me crazy.

I've noticed it's always all comes together perfect on summer evenings, when the humidity is there but the air temp is down and the sun isn't baking everything.

Interesting info in here!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.