DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

61 - 80 of 165 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Thanks John I’ll pm him for the location and certainly try to make it! I could really use some advice and help right now!
Sounds good, hope to see you there. We even have an installer from a well respected shop attending and it’s a chance to get to listen to some great systems of all kinds.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
David,

Sing out if you want a fishbone diagram to work with.
(It may help with your trouble shooting approaches.)

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
I only had about 15 minutes to spare, but I started doing some poking around to see if I could find any physical problems...

I found one, though I am not sure it's related at all. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voaUfM5h2r8&feature=youtu.be

The bass amps RCA inputs are thinner then the 4 channel and the RCAs are a little loose. I can't see how that would cause the front stage to crackle, but it's definitely not something I was happy to see. Does anyone know why the hell Zapco would put narrower rca inputs on the monoblock then on the 4 channel?! :mad:

There is nothing else that I could see... With the system playing I can wiggle all other connections with no issues. Strangely, the bass amp's buzz has become intermittent at the most, I haven't heard it in a while.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I only had about 15 minutes to spare, but I started doing some poking around to see if I could find any physical problems...

I found one, though I am not sure it's related at all. Here's the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voaUfM5h2r8&feature=youtu.be

The bass amps RCA inputs are thinner then the 4 channel and the RCAs are a little loose. I can't see how that would cause the front stage to crackle, but it's definitely not something I was happy to see. Does anyone know why the hell Zapco would put narrower rca inputs on the monoblock then on the 4 channel?! :mad:

There is nothing else that I could see... With the system playing I can wiggle all other connections with no issues. Strangely, the bass amp's buzz has become intermittent at the most, I haven't heard it in a while.
YIKES! That is not good. Something is definitely wrong there, though I have no idea whether or not it might cause/contribute to the "distortion issue."

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
YIKES! That is not good. Something is definitely wrong there, though I have no idea whether or not it might cause/contribute to the "distortion issue."
I don't think it is, but it was too late last night to crank up the sound and test it (I try to be a considerate neighbor).

It's not the RCAs, I can put a caliper to it the inputs on the amp and they will be narrower than the 4 channels, I'm sure of that. Why? I don't know. But it's definitely causing a loose connection...

This fucking Jeep is slowly sucking the joy out of car audio for me... :mad:

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
I don't think it is, but it was too late last night to crank up the sound and test it (I try to be a considerate neighbor).

It's not the RCAs, I can put a caliper to it the inputs on the amp and they will be narrower than the 4 channels, I'm sure of that. Why? I don't know. But it's definitely causing a loose connection...

This fucking Jeep is slowly sucking the joy out of car audio for me... :mad:
Yes, that's what I understood from your video. I've seen slight variance among all sorts of home and mobile audio equipment male RCA input/output terminals, and among countless RCA cables, but I've never seen any combination produce anything nearly so loose a connection as is evident in your video.

Take a deep breath, David ...and drive that sumbich off the nearest pier. :D:p

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #67 (Edited)
Yes, that's what I understood from your video. I've seen slight variance among all sorts of home and mobile audio equipment male RCA input/output terminals, and among countless RCA cables, but I've never seen any combination produce anything nearly so loose a connection as is evident in your video.

Take a deep breath, David ...and drive that sumbich off the nearest pier. :D:p
Haha! Can't say I haven't thought about it... and the nearest pier is only a mile away, at the bottom of a steep hill!!! :shrug: Plus, I do have $10k coverage on my insurance just for the audio. :eek: :D :p

And that loose connection is with locking RCAs... They grab on REALLY tight, like no other RCAs. You can not remove them without unscrewing the jacket.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Should I wrap a piece of foil around it to make it more snug?? I don't know what else to do until I can get new amps??

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Should I wrap a piece of foil around it to make it more snug?? I don't know what else to do until I can get new amps??
I think something like that would definitely be worth a try. As foil wrapped around the too-small male part on the amp will tend to be pushed off by the RCA cable as you reconnect it, I would try applying a "U" shaped piece of folded (a couple-few layers thick) foil over the outer/shield conductor of the RCA cable - picture a lengthwise-folded towel hanging over the edge of a bucket.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
...I could be wrong, but uniform contact is unnecessary IMHO, so it need not be a conductive material, so long as a majority of the conductive shield surfaces of the plug and cable are making contact. You're just trying to firm up what contact you can get.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I think something like that would definitely be worth a try. As foil wrapped around the too-small male part on the amp will tend to be pushed off by the RCA cable as you reconnect it, I would try applying a "U" shaped piece of folded (a couple-few layers thick) foil over the outer/shield conductor of the RCA cable - picture a lengthwise-folded towel hanging over the edge of a bucket.
Good point. I think the locking aspect of these ones, allow them to spread open a little bit to slide them on. If I have a steady hand and tight wrap with the foil, I might be able to slide them on without it bunching up... This would be a temporary (shitty) solution to at least not have loose RCAs for now.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Good point. I think the locking aspect of these ones, allow them to spread open a little bit to slide them on. If I have a steady hand and tight wrap with the foil, I might be able to slide them on without it bunching up... This would be a temporary (shitty) solution to at least not have loose RCAs for now.
Makes sense. Definitely worth a shot.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
You can also slice off a piece of beer/soda can with scissors and roll it up (just don't smoke it...LOL) for that purpose...it won't push off or fold up like the foil will.

I use aluminum cans for shim stock all the time as needed.

·
Premium Member
3,672 Posts
FFS just switch those RCAs to the mid bass an drew the MB to the tweeters and see what happens.

Or use a set of RCAs from Fry's.

You might as well disconnect the Sub's RCA as another test.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
You can also slice off a piece of beer/soda can with scissors and roll it up (just don't smoke it...LOL) for that purpose...it won't push off or fold up like the foil will.

...just be sure to scrape/sand or otherwise remove interior and exterior coatings and then test with VOM to ensure conductivity as required.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Try to tighten the Tiffany style RCA connection on the amp... the nut could be loose. Be gentle.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
You can also squeeze the ground prongs a little with pliers to snug them up;)
Not these ones my friend... They are locking with the super thick prongs.

If the RCA input on the amp itself is loose, I'mna take the amp out and chuck it and move on. I'm tired of problems. :mad:

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

Great idea, man!

The only problem is I don't drink beer or soda, how the hell am I gonna get a can?!?! Lol :p

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
Great idea, man!

The only problem is I don't drink beer or soda, how the hell am I gonna get a can?!?! Lol :p
Public trash can DUH:laugh:

61 - 80 of 165 Posts