DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a foot of 2/0, 1/0, 4, and 8 gauge welding cable because I wanted to see how flexible the wire is and compare the sizes to my Knukonceptz 4 gauge OFC wire. I thought I would post a picture in case anyone was wondering the same thing as me.

From left to right it's 2/0 welding, 1/0 welding, 4 gauge welding, 4 gauge Knukonceptz, 8 gauge Esoteric, and 8 gauge welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
It’s hard to tell but it looks like the welding wire has less fine strands and less copper.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Interesting! Well, in this case more copper is better, especially if the cost is comparable. Do those wires all spec American Wire Gauge (AWG) on the cable?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s hard to tell but it looks like the welding wire has less fine strands and less copper.
I'll try to get it stripped this weekend and take another picture. There is very little difference between the 2/0 and 1/0. At first I thought they had messed up and sent me two of the same size

As far as flexibility it may be hard to judge entirely on only one foot but as I saw someone else describe it as "flexible enough", I will second that as a good description.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You might be able to weigh the copper from a certain size piece?!?

Thanks for the picture!! I love me some knuconceptz wiring. Now if only some of their crimp terminals were not a buck a piece or out of stock... I ordered one of their distro blocks and some RCAs because theirs test better than any other ones I have so I want to do up the front channels with them.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You might be able to weigh the copper from a certain size piece?!?

Thanks for the picture!! I love me some knuconceptz wiring. Now if only some of their crimp terminals were not a buck a piece or out of stock... I ordered one of their distro blocks and some RCAs because theirs test better than any other ones I have so I want to do up the front channels with them.
You're welcome for the pics. A lot of times I'm trying to find info on stuff and can't so I thought this might help someone else. I paid a little under $7 for these 4 samples.

The 2/0 was $2.55/foot, 1/0 $2.15, 4 gauge $1.25, and 8 gauge $0.85.

I read on Knukonceptz's site the other night that their 4 gauge is equal to about 3 AWG.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Here's some more pictures I took this morning after stripping the wires. Keep in mind it's hard to get an exact measurement with calipers since the wire is soft.

(Sorry if the pictures get out of order.)

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By the way, I included another 8 gauge cable in place of the Esoteric in these pictures that I didn't have in my initial post. It's a black 8 gauge Skyhighcaraudio cable that I forgot I had. It's the one that measures 5.04mm.

·
Registered
53 Posts
There is a youtuber (HifiVega) that has a small series of videos comparing OFC car audio wire & welding wire. Check it out. He's friends with BigDWiz. The video series is called "the best 1/0 ofc power wire tested and compared." This guy covers a lot of the brands you know & love :) - my personal opinion, just go with the welding cable :) I have found that the welding cable insulation seems a lot more flexible at cold temperatures vs. the car audio insulation.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never understood why the car audio scene has non-standard oversized wire, it totally defeats the purpose of a labeling per the AWG standard, doesn't it? Even if company's x's wire is bigger than standard wire size why not just name the wire size based on the official AWG size standard? oyyyy - sorry that's just a small gripe that's been gnawing at me & i felt like this was a place i could say something about it. don't get me wrong i love the idea of using safe larger size wires always.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
This is good information, thanks for doing this.
I was really curious about the sizes. I was glad to do it. I've seen the question brought up after doing some searching, but I hadn't really seen any pics comparing or measurements stated.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I never understood why the car audio scene has non-standard oversized wire, it totally defeats the purpose of a labeling per the AWG standard, doesn't it? Even if company's x's wire is bigger than standard wire size why not just name the wire size based on the official AWG size standard? oyyyy - sorry that's just a small gripe that's been gnawing at me & i felt like this was a place i could say something about it. don't get me wrong i love the idea of using safe larger size wires always.
I watched a video last week where the guy showed 2/0 Skyhighcaraudio wire compared to 4/0 welding cable saying they were equal in size. It makes no sense to oversize a wire like that. That's why every other review on Amazon for power wire contradicts the other. One review will say "true to size". The next review will say "nowhere near X gauge". Everyone has a different expectation. I wrote a review for the Knukonceptz 4 gauge wire I got and I said that it was correctly sized. One reviewer had said it was not quite 4 gauge. Well if welding cable is true AWG, then I've shown the Knukonceptz is actually a tad bigger than "true" 4 gauge.

All of the different sizing causes problems in other areas too. People buy terminals saying it will fit a certain size wire and then find out it doesn't fit because the wire is oversized. I saw a review for an amp one time saying the inputs were not big enough. Maybe that was because the wire the person was using was actually too big.

I asked the question in another thread I started about what size wire I should use in my son's car and it was suggested 4 gauge. Then I have to wonder, is true 4 gauge welding wire enough or do I need "car audio" 4 gauge wire, LOL.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts