DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok due to the recent Ascendant deal I kinda went way overboard and bought an Avalanche 18" :oops:
Now I need a front stage that will be able to keep up with this behemoth.
I drive a 5-speed accord so I dont have much room for kicks (on the drivers side anyway). Because of this I would like to go with a two way setup. I could do a three way if I could get a mid less than 3.5" in diameter. I was thinking about going with some 8" XLS's in the doors (or maybe the RE XXX 6.5's??) and I would really love to try out some ribbon tweeters, not sure what ribbons would work best though. I am really open to any suggestions anyone might have.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
you could fit some large format tweet in the kicks like the dayton rs. no idea how high the peerless plays clean but i dont think it'll play high enough, so i would probably give the dayton ref 8's a try.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I need something with a very strong low end to keep up with the avalanche. I can do a 3-way, the mid just has to be 3.5" or less in diameter.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
then yea... use the xls and how about some aura NS3-193-8A 3" full range drivers. run the peerless as high as they can cleanly and run the auras up from there with a compact tweet to match or all the way up to 20khz. i would probably keep it as a midrange and run an lpg tweet or something for the highs, say 5khz and up. that'll probably give you a flatter response as the auras have some weird action going on but thats not til 15khz or soemthing. anywyas that sounds like a great setup to me and i really cant think of a better 3" midrange for your case

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
What kind of budget are you looking at?

You may have trouble fitting a 3-way with ribbons and an 8" driver in your car...

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
npdang said:
What kind of budget are you looking at?

You may have trouble fitting a 3-way with ribbons and an 8" driver in your car...
My budget is pretty flexable. I would say I dont really want to spend any more than $400 for the speakers.
I have an older accord and the doors do have quite a bit of room. I will be able to get the 8's in if I space them out a bit. I just dont have a ton of room in the drivers side kick area for the mid and tweet.
thanks for your help 8)

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd probably recommend going with a Fountek neo 3 ribbon for $162pr., and a pair of Seas CA18RNX mid/bass drivers $106/pr. Keep it simple with a 2-way. It'd give you a strong, punchy mid and a very dynamic, detailed, smooth top end.

Or if you have to go with a 3-way, the Peerless XLS 8" for $126/pr + a pair of vifa mg10md's for $65, and then some lpg 25nfa tweeters $75. This would give you a good deal more mid/bass, but be a bit harder to setup and you'd lose the nice top end of the ribbons.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may be talking out of my ass here but how would the Aura NS2 work paired with the Neo3 and XLS 8"?

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
the only problem is sensitivity difference b/w the drivers but keeping the low frequencies on the peerless might do it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was just reading 300Z's review of the dayton RS tweeter. I noticed that these can be crossed over at 1.4khz or so. Can the XLS's effectivly play that high?

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I wouldn't do it... just doesn't sound as good playing that high although you may want to try it out and see for yourself. I find that some... ok most... people aren't quite as picky as I am about how things sound :)

Playing that high... you lose that sense of clarity and involvement that you get with a good midrange.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts