DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sooo... i got more dumber than usual and purchased a high spl sub. i wanted to see what its like to experience bass-head nirvana. i went with a sundown audio ZV6 15". this subwoofer is 117 lbs. like, the fedex driver couldnt slid it close enough to the door to get his dolly underneath it. i knew right then and there this was a ridiculous and very costly purchase. the subwoofer had to collect dust for over month before i could get my custom box builder to start the project. the builder decided to go 3,25 cubic ft, 8" aerport tuned to 37hz. the amp(synergy 2.1d) without box rise is approximately 3-3.5k @ .5 ohm. before the box build, i had to do a full electrical upgrade. as stated in a previous thread, i had to overcome ground and power issues in the car due to a poor install from a "High-End" shop. i upgraded the oem battery under the hood(odessy agm), installed a 270 amp CES alternator, done the big three, and added a XS d3100 battery in the trunk. after doing this big electrical upgrade, no amps overheating or huge voltage drops. the lowest ive seen my power drop is 12.9. its pretty consistant at 14.4v.

finally got the box built and gave it a listen. hmmm... wasnt impressed. the suspension was very stiff. was told it will take weeks before it breaks in. 2 months later, this subwoofer will rip your head off! to my surprise, it will actually keep up with loud percussive double bass kick-drum. for edm and loud obnoxious dub step this subwoofer sounds like it will cause permenent damage to your vehicle. its definently more musical than most of these high spl geared subs. i dont think these subs were market for spl comp guys. sundown says people have competed in SQ competitions with the ZV5.

while this sub is really fun and absoluely obnoxious.... im looking to part ways with it. what im missing is musical accuracy especially bass guitars. im concerned that if i go back to sq/sql oriented subs that i will be let down in the spl area. i was thinking possible going 2 12's ported or 2 15's sealed. im getting my system retuned next month. im thinking about going with a different sub stage before he tunes my system. as some of you know, i run stevens neo comp horns, beyma 8g40 mids, zapco 6 channel ap, and helix dsp. my dap( Fiio m11) has taken over. yes, it sounds way better than my sony xav-ax7000.

disclaimer: i promise to be good

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,211 Posts
This might be one of the best car audio pictures I've seen in years... wife and kids in the back, me and my girl sit in the front.
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Car Motor vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts