DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the PRS Mid, SPX Tweeter combo in the classifieds the other day. They are just the tweeters with no mounting hardware. Does anyone know where I can source the tweeter mounts from? pacparts doesn't carry them.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI, you cannot buy replacement tweeter parts from alpine or any of their distributers. If anyone has a set of the mounts they didn't use because of a factory installation or have any tips on how to fabricate one, please let me know. Right now, I have a hole in my door panel larger than the tweeter without the mount...making them useless.

·
Registered
297 Posts
FYI, you cannot buy replacement tweeter parts from alpine or any of their distributers. If anyone has a set of the mounts they didn't use because of a factory installation or have any tips on how to fabricate one, please let me know. Right now, I have a hole in my door panel larger than the tweeter without the mount...making them useless.

are you referring to the xt19 based spx tweeter ? if so, i have a set of flush mount cups, new un used.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know honestly. I know they are the 51mm ring radiator tweeters from the SPX17PRO set. I would prefer the whole setup so I can swivel mount them as well, but I am will to take the flush mount at this point (off-axis tweeters sound better than no tweeters at all).

Let me know if this is same series as what you have.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I don't know honestly. I know they are the 51mm ring radiator tweeters from the SPX17PRO set. I would prefer the whole setup so I can swivel mount them as well, but I am will to take the flush mount at this point (off-axis tweeters sound better than no tweeters at all).

Let me know if this is same series as what you have.

mine came from an spx-137r set. don't think they would work.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No, they are too small. I had a set of SPX-17r and sold them for the prs/spx combo ONLY because the tweeters were too small. This sucks!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have holes in my door where my PG RSD's were mounted already. Unless I am missing something, I don't see how PVC is going to help me here. I could see it if I wanted to mount them on the a-pillers like the write-up in the "how to" section, but not here.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Use PVC, they fit right into I think its 1.5" pvc, or maybe the piece of pvc the 1.5" goes into. Just take them up with you to the store
This is correct. They fit nice and snug in there. No need for glue.

I have holes in my door where my PG RSD's were mounted already. Unless I am missing something, I don't see how PVC is going to help me here. I could see it if I wanted to mount them on the a-pillers like the write-up in the "how to" section, but not here.
Yeah, the above suggestion was for if you wanted to fab tweeter pods which is what I did for my sails. I've never put my tweeters in the doors so I'm not sure about placement without the mounts and/or gluing.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't think everyone understands. I HAVE to put them in my doors or buy new ones (which I can't afford). I mounted my PG RSD tweets there when I bought them over a year ago. In hindsight, it was a mistake, but I either have to mount these in the door, or buy new doors, or rock door panels with giant hole saw holes in them (not really what I want in the car I have always wanted).

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do either of you guys that mentioned the pods have the tweeter mounting hardware that you are not using? Willing to sell it??

·
Registered
404 Posts
I don't think everyone understands. I HAVE to put them in my doors or buy new ones (which I can't afford). I mounted my PG RSD tweets there when I bought them over a year ago. In hindsight, it was a mistake, but I either have to mount these in the door, or buy new doors, or rock door panels with giant hole saw holes in them (not really what I want in the car I have always wanted).
When I had my old Integra it came w/ tweeters in the doors and when I replaced them for better components, the sound was never right as the driverside tweeter was too damn close to me and overpowering. So I moved the tweeters to the kicks and just put the stock tweeters back in to cover the hole. Perhaps if you still have your PG RSD tweets or buy the $40 set on amazon you could just plug the holes for cosmetics. This would free you up to use a more optimal posttioning of those awesome X-pro tweeters maybe up in the pillars and get better sound, plus baffle the hell out of any autophiles that took a look and listen.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
partstore.com has some flush mounts for SPX tweeters
I couldn't find anything under the spx-17pro model number. I don't really know how to search that site either. I hadn't responded because I thought I had found a set, but that fell through. HELP PLEASE!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Sorry to threadjack but I figured this thread would attreact the same people, I'm looking for a single replacement tweeter for an SPX-177r set if anyone has any ideas.

pionkej, I have a set of SPX-177r components on the way (missing one tweeter but including mounting hardware), I'm not sure yet what I plan to do with them but if I end up not using the tweeter hardware I'll let you know. Not sure if the PRO set uses the same hardware but it's a thought.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The Pro uses different hardware, but keep me in mind on the REF flush mount stuff. Mine broke and I'm having 0 luck getting replacement. I'd change it, but I already have a huge gaping hole in my kick panels. :mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts