DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
18,462 Posts
seems like the new cone design does a really damn good job controling cone breakup. There are other drivers out there with this design and have the same characteristics. I wonder what the drawback is

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Having not actually seen them in-person, they appear to be of extremely high build quality.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I would bet that they are even better than the last set.

·
Registered
18,462 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On paper the 6.5 seems pretty impressive. I’ve only ever heard These a couple years ago on a sound board at a local shop and wasn’t impressed at all (shocker). If I remember correctly someone said they were around 2300$. Don’t quote me on that though.
Couldn’t believe they had this high end of component set up as bad as they were when I heard them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
On paper the 6.5 seems pretty impressive. I’ve only ever heard These a couple years ago on a sound board at a local shop and wasn’t impressed at all (shocker). If I remember correctly someone said they were around 2300$. Don’t quote me on that though.
Couldn’t believe they had this high end of component set up as bad as they were when I heard them.

We have the 165RC up on our display board and while they sound good, they won't "blow you out of the water" when switching between "cheaper" component sets. That being said, when installed and tuned correctly, they sound fantastic.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Looks like retail pricing is out for the M.
8WM $999 each
6WM $1499 a pair
3.5WM $499 each
TBM $1499 a pair

When looking at the specs of the 8 it’s got me wondering how the 8’s paired with the tweeters would do. I’d be replacing an almost 13 yr old set of 165W’s.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My wallet doesn't like em

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Looks like retail pricing is out for the M.
8WM $999 each
6WM $1499 a pair
3.5WM $499 each
TBM $1499 a pair

When looking at the specs of the 8 it’s got me wondering how the 8’s paired with the tweeters would do. I’d be replacing an almost 13 yr old set of 165W’s.

Why would the 6” be more expensive than the 8”

·
Registered
516 Posts
Well yeah... but "fantastic" is a very vague reference for performance/quality.

I think the point was that they needed to be installed and set up/tuned properly to perform like intended, something that didn't shine through when hearing them on a wall display in the shop.

I did talk to our local distributor up here in Norway, just after he came back from the Focal factory having listened to these at their launch. And the one thing that really stood out from before was that they had all the refinement from the old series (not surprising), but also a loudness factor that went beyond even the K2 power series.

So much more headroom than before, also the drivers had a very broad usable frequency range, so you could really mix and match drivers to suit your setup. Like the 8" was suited to use with just the tweeter for a 2-way setup. But also usable as a subwoofer.

Sadly they're out of my price range, as I would have very much liked to upgrade from my 3-way Focal Flax setup (PS165F3) to some configuration of Utopia M. Selling my 1st gen Utopia 3-way setup (audiom tlr, audiom 6w and utopia 7w2) wouldn't even cash in a single TBM tweeter I'm afraid! :D

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Might be my next set of speakers...

I like that Focal has finally decided to use neo magnets.
This allows them to be super shallow, and I bet I can get those 8's under my seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ordered a set of the 6.5/3.5/tweeter combo to be run active.

First post here but I've been researching non stop for the past three months about which direction to go. I've heard all sorts of setups the last three months and in person, I've had a slight preference for the "brightness" or "harshness" of the ES165KX3 Focals over more audiophile/laid back speakers like Hybrid Audio Legatia series, Audiofrog GB series, JL Audio C7s, Morel Supremos, etc that I've heard. My dealer has the Focal 165wrc+ in his truck and I thought those were a good in between for me, but he encouraged me to go 3 way if possible. I was thinking BE 7 until I saw this thread and inquired about the Utopia M.

I was told that Focal was only selling these to "elite dealers" and my guy had to sign up as one of those elite dealers to get a set ordered. Not sure what that entails. They are supposed to be shipping from Italy to the US mid December. So I'm hoping to get them by Christmas if there aren't any holdups.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Ordered a set of the 6.5/3.5/tweeter combo to be run active.

First post here but I've been researching non stop for the past three months about which direction to go. I've heard all sorts of setups the last three months and in person, I've had a slight preference for the "brightness" or "harshness" of the ES165KX3 Focals over more audiophile/laid back speakers like Hybrid Audio Legatia series, Audiofrog GB series, JL Audio C7s, Morel Supremos, etc that I've heard. My dealer has the Focal 165wrc+ in his truck and I thought those were a good in between for me, but he encouraged me to go 3 way if possible. I was thinking BE 7 until I saw this thread and inquired about the Utopia M.

I was told that Focal was only selling these to "elite dealers" and my guy had to sign up as one of those elite dealers to get a set ordered. Not sure what that entails. They are supposed to be shipping from Italy to the US mid December. So I'm hoping to get them by Christmas if there aren't any holdups.

How much did the set cost ya

1 - 20 of 618 Posts