DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

561 - 580 of 619 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
574 Posts
Definitely, I’ve changed everything piece of equipment on the system for 1 reason or another but never had a problem with the subs because they play exactly how I want them to and sounds soooo good when they go low but when the 8wm’s took those subs and put them wherever the instrument that is playing and sub frequency is with precision, not in a area but precisely placed and I’m able to crank the subs To levels that I couldn’t do without them getting localized “Something that I couldn’t do with some of the best midbass Speakers on the market“ I started to wonder if the 10wm’s could do something that the JL’s aren’t doing and there’s only 1 way to find out.

·
Registered
550 Posts
I cry a lot about missing my McIntosh’s and I’ve always wanted to try some mosconi zeros so I want to do a double blind test to make sure that I’m not making a big mistake. All the amps are at the shop already so we’ll do the testing before the end of this week because the build ”I’m switching from a 11 Prius to a 15 plug in so new build” Has to be done ASAP. I also have no music right now because I thought my hybrid battery was bad the other day and took everything out so there you go K POP SUCKS now you can feel sorry for me for not having music lol.
Sorry for your Prius or Prius sorry for you.

·
Registered
41 Posts
...never had a problem with the subs because they play exactly how I want them to and sounds soooo good when they go low...
Just out of curiosity (and sorry if you've already mentioned it in this thread), where do you have your subs located in your vehicle?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
It’s weird I have never heard a car that had a JL sub and thought wow...

In fact they all sounded crap... all my Focal sub obliterated the JL anything in terms of SQ... bass output is a different story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
574 Posts
It’s weird I have never heard a car that had a JL sub and thought wow...

In fact they all sounded crap... all my Focal sub obliterated the JL anything in terms of SQ... bass output is a different story...

I think maybe you’ve heard a lot of W7’s because they’re so unforgiving that you designing a box for them and tune it at say 35hz and the plot looks good and you build that box and it sounds like straight up shit you think to yourself that these speakers are garbage. If your reading this and is about to build a ported box for a W7 and is not using JL’s specs, whatever box building program your using input the box size from the manual and port size and length then adjust the box size and stay with that tuning frequency but don’t deviate too much from it. The manual might say that the tuning frequency is 32hz but when you input it into a program it’s usually in the 20’s. As for W6’s, I love these sealed because they have that smooth low frequency delivery, I hate that punchy bass, it blends super easy with midbass but is just not my taste.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Thanks for sharing your preferences Mullings - it provides a perspective to the comparison you're about to make with the 10WM.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I think maybe you’ve heard a lot of W7’s because they’re so unforgiving that you designing a box for them and tune it at say 35hz and the plot looks good and you build that box and it sounds like straight up shit you think to yourself that these speakers are garbage. If your reading this and is about to build a ported box for a W7 and is not using JL’s specs, whatever box building program your using input the box size from the manual and port size and length then adjust the box size and stay with that tuning frequency but don’t deviate too much from it. The manual might say that the tuning frequency is 32hz but when you input it into a program it’s usually in the 20’s. As for W6’s, I love these sealed because they have that smooth low frequency delivery, I hate that punchy bass, it blends super easy with midbass but is just not my taste.
I just think they perform well at a certain frequency range after that it’s not great... I was given a demo once with 2 15W0’s or 3’s can’t remember and with his demo music it sounded great - then I played my music and I was thinking my single 21wx Focal 8” was going lower than these dual 15’s also the quality of the bass after the initial impression was not that great... it’s weird they move air but don’t hit a low note with any composure...

With the 10WM I marvel at the control of the low end - especially on a piano...

I have heard 13w7’s , 8w7’s, 15w0’s 10w7’s, 12w6’s and none of them made me think about changing my Focal 8” out...

I was given a demo recently with a 8w7 in a sealed box and off rap music it was properly moving air - number plate rattling sounded louder than some of the bass notes - and this dude was loving this sub...

I played some orchestral music with 20hz bass with huge dynamic volume changes and it fell on its face... I’ll concede that if I listen to rap and rock I would def look at a JL sub - but for music that plays from 20hz till 80hz’s I would never buy a JL...

·
Registered
574 Posts
I just think they perform well at a certain frequency range after that it’s not great... I was given a demo once with 2 15W0’s or 3’s can’t remember and with his demo music it sounded great - then I played my music and I was thinking my single 21wx Focal 8” was going lower than these dual 15’s also the quality of the bass after the initial impression was not that great... it’s weird they move air but don’t hit a low note with any composure...

With the 10WM I marvel at the control of the low end - especially on a piano...

I have heard 13w7’s , 8w7’s, 15w0’s 10w7’s, 12w6’s and none of them made me think about changing my Focal 8” out...

I was given a demo recently with a 8w7 in a sealed box and off rap music it was properly moving air - number plate rattling sounded louder than some of the bass notes - and this dude was loving this sub...

I played some orchestral music with 20hz bass with huge dynamic volume changes and it fell on its face... I’ll concede that if I listen to rap and rock I would def look at a JL sub - but for music that plays from 20hz till 80hz’s I would never buy a JL...

This would be really great if the focals are that much better, I remembered getting a demo and I was able to tell the owner of the car what mids he was using and how certain I was that he’s using class D amplifiers and he was wondering how I could distinguish all of this but what I got wrong was the brand of sub and the size. I though it was a 10w6 but it was a focal 8”, it was very impressive

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm curious about this Focal vs JL Audio subwoofer comparison. I found a fairly new and barely used (and great condition) 10W6v2 for less than 1/2 the price of a new 10W6v3. I know it's a v2 and not a v3, so I'm not sure how much would be sacrificed?

I've been using my Focal 27WX, and I know the JL will have more output - just curious about SQ.

Dave

·
Registered
7 Posts
My order arrived yesterday for the Focal TBM and 3.5W. Cant wait to hear this beauties.
Would like to know if somebody is using the Focal Utopia 6WM speaker. Are they worth the money, especially playing in a normal car door?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I like the 6WM and TBM. The midbass seems very decent. The question for me is - is the 3.5WM worth the money?
Dave

·
Registered
1,639 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
I like the 6WM and TBM. The midbass seems very decent. The question for me is - is the 3.5WM worth the money?
Dave
The 3.5WM is the cheapest of any Utopia M speaker but performs just as well as the rest. Low distortion, wide bandwidth into the lower treble. Quite easy to install due to the low mounting depth. My favorite midrange speaker so far.

·
Registered
18,493 Posts
Fine so far, but what about the performance of the 6WM? Only a good driver or beyond any other midbass drivers?
Its great for a two way set. Not a midbass monster but still have more than enough for most.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

561 - 580 of 619 Posts