DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

581 - 600 of 618 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
573 Posts
Mullings - have you had a chance to try the 10WM yet and compare to the JL?

Dave
Not yet , I’ll keep you guys posted with any work done to the system

·
Registered
18,465 Posts
Now that SVR got pushed back until September 112th, he wont be putting that in until after the last week of august lol

Reactions: Adecchio

·
Registered
2011 Prius rsx gs9>apl1 >helix dsp ultra>2 brax mx4’s &jl Audio 600/1> full focal Utopia m
573 Posts
So true, but I’m gonna show up with a car with a refined tune this time, no more put together and tune at the show lol

·
Registered
11 L322 V8 S
7 Posts
im a new bee whos been following these topic discussions for a while.
I would have agreed that these Utopia M sets, from tbm - 3,5wm - and 8wm - are in different class like no others.

Ive had these systems installed for just 3 weeks :
Focal 165 wxp feat mid 3w0251 - front speakers
Focal 165 ps f3e - rear speakers.

and

decided to purchase and replace to full set of Utopia M with TBM tweeter ; 3,5WM and 8WM - replacing the front speakers

And

Transfering the Focal 165 WXP feat 3W0251 to the Rear speakers.

i have had few times listening to a friend's car who has these Utopia M sets installed in his car and was so amazed by its quality like no others.

pricewise are expensive indeed but you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Reactions: Adecchio

·
Registered
41 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up the 3.5WM's this coming week and installing in the A pillars. I have a 2019 Honda Accord Sport with 6WM's in the doors and TBM's in the sail panel. I'll have the TUN (JL Audio VXi amp) done by a dealer that I trust here in Phoenix, so I'm confident they can do a good job whether it's the 2-way or 3-way.

The Focal folks mention it will be a night/day difference to add the 3.5WM's to my existing setup, and the dealer thinks it's about a 25% improvement. What do you think?

Dave

·
Registered
11 L322 V8 S
7 Posts
I'm thinking of picking up the 3.5WM's this coming week and installing in the A pillars. I have a 2019 Honda Accord Sport with 6WM's in the doors and TBM's in the sail panel. I'll have the TUN (JL Audio VXi amp) done by a dealer that I trust here in Phoenix, so I'm confident they can do a good job whether it's the 2-way or 3-way.

The Focal folks mention it will be a night/day difference to add the 3.5WM's to my existing setup, and the dealer thinks it's about a 25% improvement. What do you think?

Dave
Yes i would have agreed by adding the mid range speakers make huge differences. Let alone the 3,5WM's, other high end mids too make differences.

Thats the reason i have front and rear 3 ways set up.

Reactions: zak

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
It would be hard to put a percentage on what the improvement will be... but I wouldn't argue the 25% figure.
There will definitely be an improvement.

Reactions: zak

·
Registered
41 Posts
OK, so I just setup the 3.5WM's on the dash, wrapped with a towel, so that I could work on determining a decent position for a pillar install. I'll say up front that the Utopia M's in a two-way (6WM's+TBM's) do sound really good. The 6WM does a nice job of conveying the midrange and meeting up with the tweeter. Once I added the midrange though, the 6WM became a midbass monster! Since it's only covering 70-500hz in the three-way config, it just really lets loose. For some of the songs I was testing with, I just turned the sub all the way down. I'm sure I'll need to tone down that midbass, once I get the mids installed and start tweaking with it. For anyone thinking about the 6WM, it's pretty strong as a midbass.

I did notice that having the 3.5WM's did fill things in a little more and brought up the soundstage a bit - more solidity to instruments and vocals - and a bit more detail. Overall, once I get them installed and do some tweaking, I think I'll be really happy that I added the 3.5WM's.

Thanks for all of your inputs,

Dave

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Those who use the 10WM - can you use this sub in a 4ohm setup? I.e. don’t use both coils if you use both coils then it’s a 2ohm setup?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
573 Posts
Those who use the 10WM - can you use this sub in a 4ohm setup? I.e. don’t use both coils if you use both coils then it’s a 2ohm setup?

You can’t do that, you have to use both voicecoils

·
Registered
573 Posts
Anyone has compared the Utopia M WM6 vs the Ultima WM6? Just trying to grasp how it can be so expensive.
Elektra had a set for sale, he should have first hand knowledge about them vs the M’s

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Elektra had a set for sale, he should have first hand knowledge about them vs the M’s
My friend has them - he never installed them. I was trying to sell them on his behalf.

I too wondered about the comparison - the white paper specs on them don’t really say they better than say the M mids - but then guys are liking the 6WM for midbass yet there FS is really high compared to the older Kit 7 midbass - so I don’t know really.

The Utopia M midbass drivers are pretty pricey and I don’t seem to think the 6W3’s do a bad enough job for me to start thinking of changing them...

But if I do I would go for the 8WM’s

·
Registered
169 Posts
Really close to pulling the trigger on some Bliesma T25B-6s and still undecided midrange. I keep telling myself to just pony up for the Focal Ms because you guys are making me drool and breathe heavy(er), but I just can't get past spending $1750 vs $530. I can afford it, but that doesn't mean it's a sound purchase. I ran into the same dilemma when I was shopping for headphones in the spring. The price of the Utopias is just a little too extreme so I settled on the Focal Elex (which has admittedly has been a 'meh' experience).

·
Registered
573 Posts
Really close to pulling the trigger on some Bliesma T25B-6s and still undecided midrange. I keep telling myself to just pony up for the Focal Ms because you guys are making me drool and breathe heavy(er), but I just can't get past spending $1750 vs $530. I can afford it, but that doesn't mean it's a sound purchase. I ran into the same dilemma when I was shopping for headphones in the spring. The price of the Utopias is just a little too extreme so I settled on the Focal Elex (which has admittedly has been a 'meh' experience).
For that much difference in price I would first try to audition both before buying, that’s a lot of money to spend and you might not like the way whichever you choose sounds

·
Registered
7 Posts
Dear all, i have a pair of Focal Utopia M TBM, Focal 3.5WM and Focal 6WM in perfect shape fo re-sale. If somebody has interest please let me know.

581 - 600 of 618 Posts