DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

601 - 620 of 639 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had some mounting rings for tweeter and mid made on a cnc-router yesterday. Will use these to experiment with placement, and then have metal ones made for the final installation.

Hello, would you sell me those tweeter and mid spacers. I have no way of making those.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
we can also make acrylic ones on the laser if you are glassing them in somewhere

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
I can say this don’t use Focals box specs for the 10WM - 18lts is far too small this sub is almost a IB candidate as the box needs to be huge to get it to work properly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
we can also make acrylic ones on the laser if you are glassing them in somewhere
That's great! I would love to buy a pair for my 3.5WM's. Can you show pictures and provide the cost? Or, should I PM you?

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
18,644 Posts
That's great! I would love to buy a pair for my 3.5WM's. Can you show pictures and provide the cost? Or, should I PM you?

Thanks,
Dave
Pm me. We have made a bunch of them for this driver

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw Crutchfield selling a set of TBM, 3.5WM and 6WM at around $4,450 but i heard they sell a bit expensive than others. How much do you guys pay for the said speakers?
And what should be the discounted percentage for these high end second hand speakers?
Sorry, I'm new to the car audio.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, in a couple of weeks I will receive my set of TBMs and 6WMs. Given my current situation, I’m trying to install all the equipment in the stock placement to avoid being stolen for the second time. Do you think it will work installing my TBMs in the dash firing at the windshield? I have a good DSP to do the tuning but I’m worried that in the end I will have to create custom pods.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I saw Crutchfield selling a set of TBM, 3.5WM and 6WM at around $4,450 but i heard they sell a bit expensive than others. How much do you guys pay for the said speakers?
And what should be the discounted percentage for these high end second hand speakers?
Sorry, I'm new to the car audio.
I doubt that you'll find these second-hand at this point in time.

Most local dealers in the U.S. will give you a fairly good discount off of the MAP or MSRP price that Crutchfield sells them at...potentially up to 10%-20% off. It usually depends on how many different items or the total $ amount you are purchasing from them.

I'm not sure about dealers in HK and if they will give you a similar discount, though. I'm sure it would depend on the import duties they incur with products sourced from the EU.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Hi all, in a couple of weeks I will receive my set of TBMs and 6WMs. Given my current situation, I’m trying to install all the equipment in the stock placement to avoid being stolen for the second time. Do you think it will work installing my TBMs in the dash firing at the windshield? I have a good DSP to do the tuning but I’m worried that in the end I will have to create custom pods.
thanks in advance
It wouldn't be my first choice for the tweeter's location in either a 3-way or 2-way front stage. But you could still make it work if you have a knowledgeable tuner. It can really depend on the particular vehicle though.

If you've got the funds to afford these high-end drivers, I'd assume you can also afford a bit of custom fabrication that would help the tweeter locations to blend-in and look OEM. I think it would definitely be worth the extra expense if it removes the potential for thieves to break into your car and steal all or part of your system.

If it's at all possible to do custom sail panels, upper door install, or A-pillars for the tweeters with a true OEM-look, then that is the route I'd take. I try to avoid any type of protruding "pod" or large, unnatural contours that don't look completely OEM.

You can do a lot to make speaker locations look OEM just by "counter-sinking" them into a panel and using a simple black or color-matched grill cloth over a "factory shaped" grill and/or minimalistic trim ring.

I'm a huge proponent of OEM-look, "stealth" installs. I don't care one iota about "showing off" or "featuring" my expensive gear. I actually want the install to look as dull and uninteresting as possible...seriously "plain Jane", LOL. I'd much rather have myself and others be blown away with how good my "factory" system sounds, and not have to be worried about prying eyes.

While having your stereo equipment stolen is a serious bummer in itself, to me, the potential damage to the vehicle and the time/inconvenience/down-time of the repair and replacement is equally or more of a concern IMO.

Car audio thieves really know exactly what to look for, so if there is ANYTHING that tips them off to the potential of any "special" equipment inside the vehicle, you've lost the battle.

The new TBM tweeters are amazing, but the unique shape of the exterior housing is a "dead giveaway" that they are high-end Focal tweeters, and the odd shape also makes it difficult to simply drop them into traditional, round tweeter locations. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Have a set of A pillar's fabbed up for them. They will hide them from the prying eyes of the thieves...

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Is the 3.5wm so much better than an Audiofrog Gb25 or is just the newest forum boner?
I dunno I haven’t heard the GB25 that much - I did hear it in a BMW with the GB60’s and 2 GB10’s - either the car wasn’t tuned properly or the setup wasn’t that great - it was good but not better than my kit 7 setup at the time - since then that owner changed to the Utopia M’s kept the GB60 due to cost... his own words where the Focals sounded better...

However a guy brought in a Excelsious Mid (the spiderless version) and apparently that sounds better than the 3.5wm... I have yet to listen to it so I reserve my opinion till I hear them...

It’s also cheaper than the 3wm... so I’ll give you my opinion when I get a chance to listen them - same mids in Steve Heads car...

·
Registered
195 Posts
However a guy brought in a Excelsious Mid (the spiderless version) and apparently that sounds better than the 3.5wm... I have yet to listen to it so I reserve my opinion till I hear them...

It’s also cheaper than the 3wm... so I’ll give you my opinion when I get a chance to listen them - same mids in Steve Heads car...
Let us know if you hear those Excelsious mids and your experience, please. I am in the market for a midrange; just undecided between small for ease of installation and high dispersion or larger for more meat and more options to choose from. I don't think 3.5WM will ever be in my price range.

Also there's a name I haven't heard in quite some time. Is he on this forum? I knew him as Audionutz on ECA and remember his Civic and posts about aperiodic chambers as well as the SQ CDs he made from vinyl rips.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Let us know if you hear those Excelsious mids and your experience, please. I am in the market for a midrange; just undecided between small for ease of installation and high dispersion or larger for more meat and more options to choose from.

Also there's a name I haven't heard in quite some time. Is he on this forum? I knew him as Audionutz on ECA and remember his Civic and posts about aperiodic chambers as well as the SQ CDs he made from vinyl rips.
I dunno if he is on the forum - I doubt it though. He did a review on them - he said they sounded better than his previous reference mids which was the Scan 12M...

·
Registered
2 Posts
It wouldn't be my first choice for the tweeter's location in either a 3-way or 2-way front stage. But you could still make it work if you have a knowledgeable tuner. It can really depend on the particular vehicle though.

If you've got the funds to afford these high-end drivers, I'd assume you can also afford a bit of custom fabrication that would help the tweeter locations to blend-in and look OEM. I think it would definitely be worth the extra expense if it removes the potential for thieves to break into your car and steal all or part of your system.

If it's at all possible to do custom sail panels, upper door install, or A-pillars for the tweeters with a true OEM-look, then that is the route I'd take. I try to avoid any type of protruding "pod" or large, unnatural contours that don't look completely OEM.

You can do a lot to make speaker locations look OEM just by "counter-sinking" them into a panel and using a simple black or color-matched grill cloth over a "factory shaped" grill and/or minimalistic trim ring.

I'm a huge proponent of OEM-look, "stealth" installs. I don't care one iota about "showing off" or "featuring" my expensive gear. I actually want the install to look as dull and uninteresting as possible...seriously "plain Jane", LOL. I'd much rather have myself and others be blown away with how good my "factory" system sounds, and not have to be worried about prying eyes.

While having your stereo equipment stolen is a serious bummer in itself, to me, the potential damage to the vehicle and the time/inconvenience/down-time of the repair and replacement is equally or more of a concern IMO.

Car audio thieves really know exactly what to look for, so if there is ANYTHING that tips them off to the potential of any "special" equipment inside the vehicle, you've lost the battle.

The new TBM tweeters are amazing, but the unique shape of the exterior housing is a "dead giveaway" that they are high-end Focal tweeters, and the odd shape also makes it difficult to simply drop them into traditional, round tweeter locations. :(
thanks a lot for taking the time to answer. I will follow your advice of trying to tune it first and in case it doesn’t work will go for a low profile custom Installation.

601 - 620 of 639 Posts