DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
661 - 680 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
I think Matthew Kim had also commented on the fact that what the 10wm gives you in it's shallow depth, it takes it from you in the sense that that cone jumps out at you 2"+.
This sub has traumatized him and he now leaves enough space that Evil Knievel wants to jump the gap on his bike

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
and this is why i dont trust subjective reviews... lol

Reactions: Mullings and vactor

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
and this is why i dont trust subjective reviews... lol
Im glad you say that, I just came out for a listen this morning

it’s good, dam good, I definitely like the dispersion of the stevens way better... this one absolutely sounds accurate. My stage sounds a lot farther away just by switching drivers, and the stage is extremely articulate.....

So please let me re phrase ; I like it , it’s just different, it’s going take some getting used to ....

The 6” sounds a tad hollow amd the tweeter dispersion is very different then what I’m used to

but super accurate and precision control over the signal...

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
I'll tell ya this, the 6's break in a lot. Very stiff out of the box (which on its own, means nothing), but the ones that are in my door were much more typical (used for 5 months). very noticeable difference on feel alone.

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I'll tell ya this, the 6's break in a lot. Very stiff out of the box (which on its own, means nothing), but the ones that are in my door were much more typical (used for 5 months). very noticeable difference on feel alone.
Will this 6 be happy crossed at 1k or 1.2k?

from what I’m hearing it almost sounds like it wants to be a bass speaker.... do you think I’m off base thinking that... i’m still in the first impression stage

Edit : Yeah I do need to give it some time you’re right I just did a door speaker that radically changed a week into it completely measured totally different

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I think good speakers need quite a bit of running in time - my Brax speakers only started to sound good after months of use

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Will this 6 be happy crossed at 1k or 1.2k?

from what I’m hearing it almost sounds like it wants to be a bass speaker.... do you think I’m off base thinking that... i’m still in the first impression stage

Edit : Yeah I do need to give it some time you’re right I just did a door speaker that radically changed a week into it completely measured totally different
why so high? Are you really running a two way set up?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
why so high? Are you really running a two way set up?
i have 3ways in the pillar , the 8wm in the kicks and the new epique 7s in the doors

it’s a 5way system

I lowered the crossover on the tweeter to 2970 with a 12db slope , thing fu***ing sizzles now! Dam oh my goodness 3.7k was too high

I love this tweeter now ..... Holy crap I just got back from a listen and balls to the wall
I enjoyed it quite a bit listened to the new rufusdol “next to me” mixes and oh y goodness

OK so the Twitter is figured out the six still has a little bit of a hollow sound I’m gonna just gonna have to work on this it’s getting better I just need to do my fiddling around with ****

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I think good speakers need quite a bit of running in time - my Brax speakers only started to sound good after months of use

I used to mock break in time till about a week ago...... (all those times I scorend ppl for saying so, I have a big old foot in my mouth now) ;-)

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
The dispersion is really wide , I’m getting reflective issues above 4K , maybe a waveguide or something to damp or obstruct the path to the glass and the tweeter will be just right.....

I pulled the caps off and it lowered the output in the crossover but made it sound a lot smoother overall in the crossover....

i think I’ll put the caps back on and shoot for about -20db at fs .....

The 6 sure doesn’t like to want to go past 800, but it does with wide eq cuts below it. It plays to 1.3k, with good fidelity, but man this 6 really wants to be a midbass

it reminds me a lot of the 6ND430. Super punchy in the 150-350hz range. It has to die for midbass....

so it’s working a lot better today.....

Just a unusual set , have to do things I didn’t quite expect but these drivers cooperate with me and are flexible enough to do just about any configuration someone would want....

the 8wm is nothing short of badasse
Plays 65-300 like a champ. And the 3.5 we all know is amazing in every way.

·
Registered
709 Posts
You have a 5-way front stage setup, with Utopia 8wm, 6wm, 3,5wm, TBM and also these?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
The dispersion is really wide , I’m getting reflective issues above 4K , maybe a waveguide or something to damp or obstruct the path to the glass and the tweeter will be just right.....

I pulled the caps off and it lowered the output in the crossover but made it sound a lot smoother overall in the crossover....

i think I’ll put the caps back on and shoot for about -20db at fs .....

The 6 sure doesn’t like to want to go past 800, but it does with wide eq cuts below it. It plays to 1.3k, with good fidelity, but man this 6 really wants to be a midbass

it reminds me a lot of the 6ND430. Super punchy in the 150-350hz range. It has to die for midbass....

so it’s working a lot better today.....

Just a unusual set , have to do things I didn’t quite expect but these drivers cooperate with me and are flexible enough to do just about any configuration someone would want....

the 8wm is nothing short of badasse
Plays 65-300 like a champ. And the 3.5 we all know is amazing in every way.
Gonna install my 8,3.5 and TBM in my car soon - hearing good things about the 8WM drivers so pretty excited to get them in…

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
That would be your car or tune/settings. plays nearly flat to 5k

·
Registered
19,478 Posts
Gonna install my 8,3.5 and TBM in my car soon - hearing good things about the 8WM drivers so pretty excited to get them in…

If these are in your underseat BMW locations, you better be modifying to let the enclosure vent out of the car. Otherwise, you will be disappointed. These want IB. Not the insanely small enclosure that the BMW underseats have.

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
709 Posts
Do you think they would work in 1,5-2 ft³ sealed for midbass duties?

I have lots of free space underneath the floor carpet (about 4 inches over the whole floor area) that from the factory is built up with polystyrene spacers between the carpet and actual metal floor.
Slope Rectangle Font Parallel Diagram

Lots of clearance to mount Utopia midbasses in floor under the OEM floor height.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Bumper Cookware and bakeware Automotive wheel system

·
Registered
65 Posts

Wait, I thought you got rid of the utopias and went with brax. What's up with that?

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
You have a 5-way front stage setup, with Utopia 8wm, 6wm, 3,5wm, TBM and also these?
well yeah! Those epique woofers really ice the cake.... the 8wm is in a small kick panel , it plays to 80 with a LR4 , so that means the voltage in the crossover starts cutting around 150hz, as any LR would do. The small pod adds a lot of excursion at 80, the dynaudio that was in it would bottom out, this one doesn’t but it’s moving a lot...

the epique is crossed at 65 with a butt 18
So the crossover doesn’t cut voltage till about 72hz so I can get full power through the 80s and 70s and no significant voltage drop till the 50s or even 40s

the doors are IB and play bass well.... the doors alone sound like subs , when I turn the sub off it’s missing nothing and has the full spectrum from about 45hz up.

all of the crossovers are linear phase so they sum perfectly at any volume difference. So I can put the sub wherever I want and it’s completely coherent to the fronts.

it’s works nice..... I’m happy with those...

661 - 680 of 787 Posts