DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
781 - 794 of 794 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Big difference between 150db and 110db when it comes to recommended use and enviroment? ;-)

150db can break a windshield. Probably a delicate tweeter as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,035 Posts
Here’s a pic of my buddies cracked tweeter..... the guy that had to buy new speakers after 1 year.
How did his Beryllium Tweeters get destroyed?

I have them in my front A-Pillars and ALWAYS use a windshield screen to block the sun from hitting them.

And your buddy knows that Beryllium dust (from a damaged speaker) can cause MAJOR health issues right?

There are a whole bunch of warnings in the Focal instructions...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts

I have them in my front A-Pillars and ALWAYS use a windshield screen to block the sun from hitting them.

And your buddy knows that Beryllium dust (from a damaged speaker) can cause MAJOR health issues right?

he has 2 sets of no7 3ways in his truck
3 brax nx4 amps , helix , all the SQ stuff someone would want , and a frikkin bandpass port through..... so he likes .... SQL is what I’m guessing...

So yeah when he would bump really hard his tweeters would move , just like mine but my style has a surround , his does too
It’s just a huge foam piece

yeah we made sure to protect ourselves from the broken be ......

but it was the 150s that did it ultimately

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I just found the pic and wanted to share ,
We already hashed out what to do .....

It was just surprising that a sub could kill a speaker lol

But your exactly right, it can break windshields .... why wouldn’t it damage a thin sheet of be

·
Registered
19,653 Posts
very simple solution here... wrong tool for the job. who the hell uses those in a 150db build lol

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I am taking the back off my tweets , I finally built tweeter pods , I incorporated a back chamber onto mine. I filled my pods up with resin until it measured the right volume to get a fs of 630hz

I am still in fab , I’ll use dats and measurements once the resin is dry to test the outcome

that should allow me to use a nice shallow slope without running into resonance , and the response won’t drop like a rock as it would open back.

i’m shooting for somewhere in the middle between open back in the back cap ...... we will see how it works

I might cut the basket of the mounting basket to allow the back to be fully open and simply extend the cap that comes with them about an inch , that should get me about where I am want to be. When I plug in the numbers it only asks for a tiny tiny bit of air space it’s like 50 Milliliters to get to a f/o of 650

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,238 Posts

This is the whole reason I don’t use those tweeters and use esotar2 e110 i listened to one of those tweeters before a blown one like that they sound amazing even at low power I could hear it good. I’m not gonna say it’s better than my e110 because they are very different from each other and even though I like brightness the focal weren’t horrible bright and I could easily see tuning to fix it. However I tend to run bright stuff at least eq wise so I like a good response on speakers and amps to sounds more natural to neutral. I hate warm so I won’t get into it. I’m a very analytical person who like that sound.

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,238 Posts
very simple solution here... wrong tool for the job. who the hell uses those in a 150db build lol
What wrong with running 150db for a sq system?? I’ll be running my sq system closer to 160db I am only assuming here with the stereo integrity SHS-24 subwoofer running off a zapco 4kw 4 ohm version with a modified dual 4 ohm coil on the sub by Nick at Si and a carbon cap and cone upgrade. Walled off In My hatchback with a 4th order setup…. But I’m finishing my front stage first before I spend a ton more money on my wall.

The SHS-24 has been mentioned by enough people who have or heard them to be as loud as 3-6 18s which I assume depends on box build and other factors. And yes I know how dumb I sound saying 3-6 18s for the difference in cone area alone 2 18s normally would outshine it by that however it’s the excursion and the amount of air this sub moves is what makes it so freaking loud. I can’t give you the answer to 3-6 because that is such a vast difference I can only assume the difference between the vehicles cabin space and box builds. I just felt attacked some by running a sql setup here

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
What wrong with running 150db for a sq system?? I’ll be running my sq system closer to 160db I am only assuming here with the stereo integrity SHS-24 subwoofer running off a zapco 4kw 4 ohm version with a modified dual 4 ohm coil on the sub by Nick at Si and a carbon cap and cone upgrade. Walled off In My hatchback with a 4th order setup…. But I’m finishing my front stage first before I spend a ton more money on my wall.

The SHS-24 has been mentioned by enough people who have or heard them to be as loud as 3-6 18s which I assume depends on box build and other factors. And yes I know how dumb I sound saying 3-6 18s for the difference in cone area alone 2 18s normally would outshine it by that however it’s the excursion and the amount of air this sub moves is what makes it so freaking loud. I can’t give you the answer to 3-6 because that is such a vast difference I can only assume the difference between the vehicles cabin space and box builds. I just felt attacked some by running a sql setup here

You missed the entire point of his post and based your diatribe on you feelings instead of his actual intent. Good job.

Reactions: rton20s and SkizeR

·
Registered
2016 Lexus Ct200h Fsport
1,238 Posts
You missed the entire point of his post and based your diatribe on you feelings instead of his actual intent. Good job.
My intent was very clear I wanted to talk about my feelings

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
My intent was very clear I wanted to talk about my feelings
But his post was about using a tweeter with an actual suspension that can’t handle the pressure of 150db. Your feels don’t fit into the equation.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
But his post was about using a tweeter with an actual suspension that can’t handle the pressure of 150db. Your feels don’t fit into the equation.
Right doesn't matter how you feel. 150 feels the same to that tweeter.
I believe the reason these tweeters and any solid dome tweeter has is that it's sealed. The silk and fabric domes have holes. Allowing the air pass through.
But the solid metal and ceramic do not.
So the pressure in front of the diaphragm is higher than that of the back chamber.
Out of 40 pages surely someone has mentioned it

781 - 794 of 794 Posts