DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
781 - 787 of 787 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Big difference between 150db and 110db when it comes to recommended use and enviroment? ;-)

150db can break a windshield. Probably a delicate tweeter as well.

·
Super Moderator
1,023 Posts
Here’s a pic of my buddies cracked tweeter..... the guy that had to buy new speakers after 1 year.
How did his Beryllium Tweeters get destroyed?

I have them in my front A-Pillars and ALWAYS use a windshield screen to block the sun from hitting them.

And your buddy knows that Beryllium dust (from a damaged speaker) can cause MAJOR health issues right?

There are a whole bunch of warnings in the Focal instructions...

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
How did his Beryllium Tweeters get destroyed?

I have them in my front A-Pillars and ALWAYS use a windshield screen to block the sun from hitting them.

And your buddy knows that Beryllium dust (from a damaged speaker) can cause MAJOR health issues right?

There are a whole bunch of warnings in the Focal instructions...
he has 2 sets of no7 3ways in his truck
3 brax nx4 amps , helix , all the SQ stuff someone would want , and a frikkin bandpass port through..... so he likes .... SQL is what I’m guessing...

So yeah when he would bump really hard his tweeters would move , just like mine but my style has a surround , his does too
It’s just a huge foam piece

yeah we made sure to protect ourselves from the broken be ......

but it was the 150s that did it ultimately

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I just found the pic and wanted to share ,
We already hashed out what to do .....

It was just surprising that a sub could kill a speaker lol

But your exactly right, it can break windshields .... why wouldn’t it damage a thin sheet of be

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
very simple solution here... wrong tool for the job. who the hell uses those in a 150db build lol

Reactions: oabeieo

·
Registered
5,003 Posts
I am taking the back off my tweets , I finally built tweeter pods , I incorporated a back chamber onto mine. I filled my pods up with resin until it measured the right volume to get a fs of 630hz

I am still in fab , I’ll use dats and measurements once the resin is dry to test the outcome

that should allow me to use a nice shallow slope without running into resonance , and the response won’t drop like a rock as it would open back.

i’m shooting for somewhere in the middle between open back in the back cap ...... we will see how it works

I might cut the basket of the mounting basket to allow the back to be fully open and simply extend the cap that comes with them about an inch , that should get me about where I am want to be. When I plug in the numbers it only asks for a tiny tiny bit of air space it’s like 50 Milliliters to get to a f/o of 650

781 - 787 of 787 Posts