DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My headlights are hazed and it’s really bugging me.

I’ve done the buff and seal method - but as we all know, this must be done every year or so to keep the haze away.

I’ve also considered buying new OEM housings (I’d rather not install anything aftermarket), and the cheapest I can find is $800/shipped PER Housing. This isn’t a feasible option due to the price.

I see that SEM has 21013 Solaray UV clear coat. Has anyone tried it?
https://www.semproducts.com/product/solaraytm-uv-clearcoat/clearcoat#product-details

What’s your semi-permeant headlight haze remedy?

·
Registered
153 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: What’s your go to clear coat headlight restoration kit?

I'd try this before a clear coat paint. You can never go wrong with a Meguiar's product. Never tried it but gets great reviews. Can't lose for $12.

https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Two-Step-Headlight-Restoration/dp/B01M75GUJB/ref=sr_1_3?crid=10SY5SY54CYXJ&keywords=meguiars+headlight+restoration+kit&qid=1573840612&sprefix=meguiars,aps,153&sr=8-3
This kit works, but it is really just a better buff and seal. I use this on my car and my wifes. It will certainly clear up the headlamp and the kit has a coating the seals. On my wifes car, I started to see a haze back again about a year and half later. Once I saw the haze start, I just used Mequiars plastix to clean and re used the sealer from the kit

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll look at that meguiars kit.

I definitely don’t have problems getting rid of the haze - my DA buffer will remove it easily.

I was just looking for a more permanent solution to keep my headlights looking like new.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
What about Paint Protection Film? Pretty sure the reputable brands protect against UV damage.

·
New CAJ Member!
432 Posts

Weight blah blah blah, cost blah blah blah...
I really wish they'd just go back to using real glass.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Weight blah blah blah, cost blah blah blah...
I really wish they'd just go back to using real glass.
Not going to happen. I tried one restoration kit and it sucked. It wasn't the Meguiars kit. I just ended up buying new headlight assemblies on ebay and so glad I did. If ebay or cheap aftermarket isn't an option, I'd just do the Meguiars kit once a yr

·
Listener of Music
2,755 Posts

Sand progressively until you get to 4000 grit. Clean and wax. It will make them just like new. I did it with my Maxima hid's. Got the technique from the maxima forum. I can look it up if you want it in detail

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sand with progressively until you get to 4000 grit. Clean and wax. It will make them just like new. I did it with my Maxima. Got the technique from the machine forum. I can look it up if you want it in detail
I’d love to check out that process.

Please post the link if you find it.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Find a shop that sells bg products. They have a kit that’s simple to use and offers a 2 year warranty. I have used one kit on 2 of my daughters cars and they lights looked new. It was crazy. My mechanic shop does them daily and the results are amazing.
It’s called bg quick cure headlight restoration kit. You will never use another products after you use this kit. It will actually do two sets of headlights.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts

The process for a full restoration on headlights (which are polycarbonate) is no different than polishing metal or finishing wood. In order to remove all scratches, you have to remove the deepest ones first, and progressively move up to a finer and finer grit. From there, you'll use progressively finer polishing compounds, and ultimately finish with UV clear coat, or a UV clear headlight film.

If your headlight needs a full restoration, I'd recommend this kit:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/headlight-and-paint-water-sanding-kit/FLEX_443_9.html

Once you've completed the above, I'd finish with a clear UV film from Xpel:
https://www.xpel.com/shop/headlight-protection-film

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The process for a full restoration on headlights (which are polycarbonate) is no different than polishing metal or finishing wood. In order to remove all scratches, you have to remove the deepest ones first, and progressively move up to a finer and finer grit. From there, you'll use progressively finer polishing compounds, and ultimately finish with UV clear coat, or a UV clear headlight film.

If your headlight needs a full restoration, I'd recommend this kit:
https://www.chemicalguys.com/headlight-and-paint-water-sanding-kit/FLEX_443_9.html

Once you've completed the above, I'd finish with a clear UV film from Xpel:
https://www.xpel.com/shop/headlight-protection-film
Thanks for the link.

I see that Xpel has pre-cut headlight kits for the Camry.

Maybe I’ll remove the oxidation, use either the bg or SEM clear coat, then put an xpel kit on for good measure.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts

In the paint protection space of vehicles, Xpel has a very robust reputation, and it carries one of the best warranties of all providers (10 years). Other paint protection films (such as Llumar Platinum and Suntek Ultra) are only 7 years. However, each of them have their own benefits, so you'll have to weight your options, and determine which suits your application the best.

Xpel: 10 year warranty and the film itself has self-healing properties which is helpful at the front of a vehicle where stone chips inevitably will strike the front end of a car. Downside is that this film isn't as glossy as ones below. It's clear, just not as glossy.

Llumar Platinum / SunTek Ultra: Both of these are the same, just under different brand names. They have a 7 year warranty, and have a very clear and very glossy appearance. The benefit of these is that they are hydrophobic which is ideal for shedding water and dirt.

3M Scotchguard: This is the original paint protection film, and they are the ones who developed the technology in partnership with the US military. It was used to help protect helicopter blades.

Alternate options - Look into hurricane film or security film for windows. These also have UV blocking capability, but I don't know how flexible they would be for the complex curves on headlights.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
219 Posts

As someone who has restored several housings with success, I will tell you what I did... simplified.

Sand - 200grit, 400grit, 600grit, 1000, 2000, 3000

Buff - Medium compound to fine compound then a polish

Clean - 91% isopropyl alcohol - dry with microfiber

Seal - Spray an automotive grade clear coat that is UV resistant OR
Seal - Seal with a legit ceramic coating

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
As someone who has restored several housings with success, I will tell you what I did... simplified.

Sand - 200grit, 400grit, 600grit, 1000, 2000, 3000

Buff - Medium compound to fine compound then a polish

Clean - 91% isopropyl alcohol - dry with microfiber

Seal - Spray an automotive grade clear coat that is UV resistant OR
Seal - Seal with a legit ceramic coating
This is the best way, have done it in the past. The trick is to sand vertically with the 200, then horizontally with the 400, repeat all the way to the 4000 grit. Swapping between horizontal and vertical with each grit makes it easier to keep track of your progress, sand with 400 until all the lines from 200 are gone. I found soaking the sandpaper fully helped a bit as well.

If you can, do it with the headlights off the car. It gets messy.

Most important step is the UV seal or they will just haze over again.

·
Registered
219 Posts

This is the best way, have done it in the past. The trick is to sand vertically with the 200, then horizontally with the 400, repeat all the way to the 4000 grit. Swapping between horizontal and vertical with each grit makes it easier to keep track of your progress, sand with 400 until all the lines from 200 are gone. I found soaking the sandpaper fully helped a bit as well.

If you can, do it with the headlights off the car. It gets messy.

Most important step is the UV seal or they will just haze over again.
100% exactly

·
Registered
556 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 23 Posts