DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im settled on going three way on the front stage I just got my seas tweeters and I already had Ti6's in the door but i want to add some more midbass to the front. Nothing crazy just enough to give it a little umph.

Im thinking of maybe the pg rsd's? I hear good things about them. but they dont take or put out as much power as the ti6's.

would this be a good choice or am I crazy and need to find something else.

·
Registered
215 Posts
focal makes a mean midbass. soundstream spl 60's are great as well. also eclipse 8062 midbasses are awesome and i think the 8062 mids are made by vifa

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Honestly, it makes more sense to have your midbass in the doors because of more airspace and your mids in the kick panels, given the choice of putting speakers in those exact spots.

I don't think I'd use a 6" mid and 6" midbass though. Either go bigger on the midbass or save the time and money and don't bother.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im looking at the focal 6v2 they seem to fir what im looking for. Does anybody know how it handles down at about 100hz?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think I'd use a 6" mid and 6" midbass though. Either go bigger on the midbass or save the time and money and don't bother.
This makes sense, I thought about that. I was kinda looking for full control with out jumping to an 8 or 9. I could switch the positions of the midrange and the midbass speakers. I dont think I can even fit a 8 or 9 in my door.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
I've got a 3-way active front and I'm getting great results with the Peerless SLS 830946 6.5s. They're really more like a 7", they're pretty beefy.
Peerless 830946 SLS 6.5" Woofer - 4 ohm from Madisound

They're in my (very deadened) doors though, I'd love to build sealed kicks for them but that would stand out too much from the stealth motif of my setup. I haven't found much else in a similar price range with anywhere near the same type of output down low. There are plenty of other drivers available that would give them a run for their money, but most cost 3 times as much or are 8" or bigger.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
This makes sense, I thought about that. I was kinda looking for full control with out jumping to an 8 or 9. I could switch the positions of the midrange and the midbass speakers. I dont think I can even fit a 8 or 9 in my door.
I should take a little of that back I suppose. There are 6.5's that'll have more midbass output than your current 6's, like the Tang Band 6.5" neo sub or the Peerless mentioned above, among others, so it is possible, it just seems a little weird to use the same size drivers for midbass and midrange, but either way, I'd put the midbass in the doors and the mids in the kicks.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Move your Ti Elite 6 midranges down into the kickpanels and put Peerless SLS 8's into the doors and go 3-way up front. Run those Ti Elites down to 200hz and let the Peerless 8's take over from there. Those Ti Elite's will do much better in small sealed enclosures than in your doors and will image better as midranges from the kicks as well. You might just try that first -- moving the Ti Elite's into small sealed kickpanels. You will notice a dramatic improvement in the midbass going from IB in the doors with those speakers. If you ran the Peerless with them, you probably wouldn't even need to seal up the kicks. The Peerless SLS 8's are on sale for under $100/pr right now. Do a search on 830667 here for more info on them.

Peerless SLS Series 8" Coated Paper Cone Woofer 8 ohm - 830667

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thats some good advice, not too confident about putting 8's in the doors. only because i might have to modify them to fit. does peerless make a good 6.5 midbass??

·
Registered
336 Posts
What kind of vehicle is this going into? Building the Ti6Elites into kickpanels could be the hardest part about this build, but I think it would definitely be worth it if you've already got them. Using a big midrange like that allows you to use the high value SLS drivers.

When deciding between the 6.5's and the 8's another factor to consider is what kind of sub(s) are you running? Do you have a sub? If you have just a little wimpy sub the 6.5's might be just perfect. If you have a monster sub then the 8's would be the better choice just to keep up with your sub. If you don't have a sub at all then the 8's would definitely be a better choice.

The 6.5" SLS is a very good midbass driver, but if you're going to do all the work involved in an install of this magnitude, and the 8's are basically the same price, enlarging the hole by an inch on each side is peanuts in the grand scope of work involved in your install, assuming your door panel can easily accomodate the larger driver.

A jigsaw with a metal blade and a pair of tin snips is all you should need, as long as you've got enough room to maneuver the jigsaw around comfortably where you need the hole. Use the tin snips to get back on track if you start to wander with the jigsaw. If you've got an air compressor an air nibbler is the tool of choice just be sure your compressor's powerful enough to run it. Air shears are the next best bet as they require a lesser air compressor. Try a practice run 1/4" in just to get a feel for whatever tool you end up using.

But the best thing to do if you're not comfortable cutting the hole would be to have a trusted installer cut it for you. Shouldn't cost much at all if you drive into the shop with the door panels off and a template for the hole size you want.

Anyway I'm a little biased in steering you this direction because that's where I'm headed. Plenty of other options out there too. Good luck with your project. I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing and how it turns out for you.

·
Registered
336 Posts
One more thing... to answer the question to the title of your thread, some good midbass speakers for kick panels are the ones you have. Just build them into small sealed enclosures if that's all you're really looking for is a little more midbass than what you currently have with them in the doors. They will sound WAY better down there in sealed kicks.

The SLS in the doors is taking it to the next level, but depending on how well deadened your doors are already and what kind of amps/crossovers you already have, it may be even easier to go that route and save time on the kickpanels by not worrying about making them sealed.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I have Orion HCCA 6.5 Components in the door [6.5 in the door and 1" tweeter to]. I have a 200 watts rms [100 watts RMS to each door]. I also have 6" Selium midwoofer that are 100 watts rms each. Should I put these in a kickpanel? Also how much difference would it make in SQ wise. Also these are 8 ohms SVC and the Orions are 4 ohm. Would you suggest a 4 channel amp or a pair of 2 channel amps?:confused:

Move your Ti Elite 6 midranges down into the kickpanels and put Peerless SLS 8's into the doors and go 3-way up front. Run those Ti Elites down to 200hz and let the Peerless 8's take over from there. Those Ti Elite's will do much better in small sealed enclosures than in your doors and will image better as midranges from the kicks as well. You might just try that first -- moving the Ti Elite's into small sealed kickpanels. You will notice a dramatic improvement in the midbass going from IB in the doors with those speakers. If you ran the Peerless with them, you probably wouldn't even need to seal up the kicks. The Peerless SLS 8's are on sale for under $100/pr right now. Do a search on 830667 here for more info on them.

Peerless SLS Series 8" Coated Paper Cone Woofer 8 ohm - 830667

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.