DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
its hard to explain but my volvo s70 has a strange mount for the speakers .

its just platform..like a circle on some stilts. the door is not hollow like normal and the speakers from the factory just sit attached to the doors.

I put in some 5.25's coaxials and they work fine. I used some of those plastic baffles off ebay and now they have somewhat of a surround formed around the speakers and the stilted mounts. its not perfect but if I change the speakers I may fiberglass around the entire unit to make it more of a sealed compartment.

again. not easy to describe.

what I need to know is what would be a good choice to step up from my velocity coaxials.

mind you I like them just fine and they get loud just looking for a little more ooomph so I may go to 6.5's

6.5's are what is normally installed on these stilts ..but I had 2 pair of new velocity coaxials so I made baffles and mounted them to the stilts.

I would prefer to just get coaxials just for ease of it all. I have tweets in the dash so I can go with coaxials and it will be ok.

this is a simple system. about 100 rms per side.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Probably the same ones that sound good sealed, but just not as good :p Seriously, you are just installing them in a mediocre fashion, what do you expect? No trying to be a dick, just being realistic. If you want, you can name your budget and I can list some suggestions off

·
Registered
810 Posts
I purchased Hertz Mille's for my saab viggen, I wanted the best in my budget which led me to these. Did lots of reading hear & the Mille's came on top.... went to a local shop to talk about doing a sub enclosure in my spare tire for me.... talked to them about installing the components in my car & they stated they will sound like complete crap w/o some sound deadening. They had a cheap $20 kit for just behind the speaker or a $120 kit to do both doors,,,,,

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably the same ones that sound good sealed, but just not as good :p Seriously, you are just installing them in a mediocre fashion, what do you expect? No trying to be a dick, just being realistic. If you want, you can name your budget and I can list some suggestions off

if I took pics it would be much easier to understand.

budget is much smaller than yours Mark..lol...

really. just want to get the factory size back in the car. I dont expect a miracle by any means.

if I fiberglassed the current solution it would be fine I am sure although small amount of air space.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess what I will do is fiberglass them and then show you.

point is I will still be working with a small small enclosure. not like a huge door that is sealed.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
if I took pics it would be much easier to understand.

budget is much smaller than yours Mark..lol...

really. just want to get the factory size back in the car. I dont expect a miracle by any means.

if I fiberglassed the current solution it would be fine I am sure although small amount of air space.
LOL believe me my budget is not large at all, just revolving income :)

I think the Aurasound components/coaxials on PE are a heal of deal for <$60/ea with whatever size you choose

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LOL believe me my budget is not large at all, just revolving income :)

I think the Aurasound components/coaxials on PE are a heal of deal for <$60/ea with whatever size you choose
I have nearly bought them twice..lol

·
Registered
150 Posts
I just put Focal polyglass 165 vrs in my xc70 that has the same type of doors as yours. I found them for under $100. The back doors are just as shallow as the fronts.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just put Focal polyglass 165 vrs in my xc70 that has the same type of doors as yours. I found them for under $100. The back doors are just as shallow as the fronts.
where did you find them for that?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts