Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys!

I will keep this very short. I’m looking for the best 5.25 inch speakers available. I’m prioritizing clarity and accuracy. Money is no object.

I will be buying the rest of the equipment based on these, so no need to worry about compatibility.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
2,013 Posts
Full Range or just a Mid-range/woofer?

If just a woofer/mid-range, you may want to look at these:

Reactions: Nisaja

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
2nd for the Morel Elate Carbon Pro

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nisaja

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Full Range or just a Mid-range/woofer?

If just a woofer/mid-range, you may want to look at these:

Thank you so much! Yes I was looking at mid range speakers. These look great on paper. Need to read reviews on these.

Head to YT and watch Pssound
Just did! Amazing channel. Getting some great ideas to mount the sub.

Boston Pros
I looked into these before. Thank you.

2nd for the Morel Elate Carbon Pro

Thanks. Its a new brand for me. Will definitely look into them.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Guys, before posting here, I've been looking at the Dynaudio Esotar 430s. I know they're slightly smaller. I can make a custom bracket and get them to fit (car came with 5.25 speakers from the factory).

Does anyone know how they compare to the Morel Elate Carbon MW5s?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Guys, before posting here, I've been looking at the Dynaudio Esotar 430s. I know they're slightly smaller. I can make a custom bracket and get them to fit (car came with 5.25 speakers from the factory).

Well one is a 3,5" pure midrange driver that only plays down to 200hz, and the other is a 5,25" mid/woofer that plays down to 50hz (although the usable frequency cutoff for both is likely a bit higher). That's a huge difference between them.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Well one is a 3,5" pure midrange driver that only plays down to 200hz, and the other is a 5,25" mid/woofer that plays down to 50hz (although the usable frequency cutoff for both is likely a bit higher). That's a huge difference between them.
As stated above - they don't compare. Dyn makes a 5 tho but before we go any further it would really help to know what you plans are for midbass along with expected listening level.

Reactions: MetricMuscle

·
Registered
3,866 Posts

Let’s rewind. Where does your midbass play to? What car is it? Do you need the 5.25 to be a midbass also and play down to <100hz

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Micro precision z studio 5” are excellent if you can find a set as they aren’t made anymore

also sb acoustics textreme mw13tx are awesome!

d51ad9b8-732a-4ed1-b2c7-2a092e9eff16-png.339110.webp

Wonderful! I looked at the Microprecision Z. Only found one for sale. But they do come with tweeters, so that’s two birds with one stone.

Only downside is I can’t find reviews for these because they’re so rare.

True. My plan was to buy a suitable sub depending on the speakers I get. That’s why I mentioned the rest of the components will be bought accordingly.

My main goal is good midrange, as that’s the most important aspect of the system.

As stated above - they don't compare. Dyn makes a 5 tho but before we go any further it would really help to know what you plans are for midbass along with expected listening level.

Are there any good 5 inch Dynaudio speakers currently in production? I could only find the 15W75. They’re old. They’re also considerably cheaper. Does that mean they sound slightly worse than the 430s?

Ideally, I want a 2-way system. That way I can mount the speakers in the factory locations without cutting and chopping. I’ll buy a suitable sub to go along with the midrange speakers. If the subs can’t go up to mid bass, I’ll ultimately get a mid bass speaker.

Prioritizing SQ over SPL. Don’t really care about SPL to be honest.

I just need a ridiculously good sounding system. Something that will blow the socks off a Bentley’s Naim system, or the new Range Rover’s Meridian sound system. Using these as examples because they sound pretty good for stock sound systems.

Let’s rewind. Where does your midbass play to? What car is it? Do you need the 5.25 to be a midbass also and play down to <100hz

Apologies! Completely forgot about the car. It’s a 1995 Alpina B12.

I don’t really mind what the lowest frequency the speakers can play, as I’ll be getting other equipment to match them. I wanted to get a sub to match the speakers, but if I can’t find a sub that plays high enough, and the midrange speakers are really good, I’ll probably get a mid bass speaker.

I’m starting from scratch, so it’s flexible :D

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Wonderful! I looked at the Microprecision Z. Only found one for sale. But they do come with tweeters, so that’s two birds with one stone.

Only downside is I can’t find reviews for these because they’re so rare.

True. My plan was to buy a suitable sub depending on the speakers I get. That’s why I mentioned the rest of the components will be bought accordingly.

My main goal is good midrange, as that’s the most important aspect of the system.

Are there any good 5 inch Dynaudio speakers currently in production? I could only find the 15W75. They’re old. They’re also considerably cheaper. Does that mean they sound slightly worse than the 430s?

Ideally, I want a 2-way system. That way I can mount the speakers in the factory locations without cutting and chopping. I’ll buy a suitable sub to go along with the midrange speakers. If the subs can’t go up to mid bass, I’ll ultimately get a mid bass speaker.

Prioritizing SQ over SPL. Don’t really care about SPL to be honest.

I just need a ridiculously good sounding system. Something that will blow the socks off a Bentley’s Naim system, or the new Range Rover’s Meridian sound system. Using these as examples because they sound pretty good for stock sound systems.

Apologies! Completely forgot about the car. It’s a 1995 Alpina B12.

I don’t really mind what the lowest frequency the speakers can play, as I’ll be getting other equipment to match them. I wanted to get a sub to match the speakers, but if I can’t find a sub that plays high enough, and the midrange speakers are really good, I’ll probably get a mid bass speaker.

I’m starting from scratch, so it’s flexible :D
Sorry you need to design the whole lot as a system, otherwise you will be replacing drivers all the time, start with a 6” where the midbass will be and test to see what it’s bandwidth is, also test a subwoofer where you think it goes, then see where phase issues occur in both and work out whether you need 8” midbass or 6” will be ok

don’t just buy a 5.25” because you have a hole it fits, you may be better off with a 4” and a dedicated midbass for example

I’d be doing kick panels in any bmw as midbass locations every time! Hybrid u69v2 on a budget or an 8” driver will cover everything

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Also you have to make a decision on how much you are willing to modify your Alpina in order to achieve your audio goals. As stock the E38 has small enclosures in the doors, you don't want to squeeze a midwoofer that is meant to have the whole door as enclosure volume into a 2-3 liter enclosure

Camera lens Digital camera Gadget Reflex camera Point-and-shoot camera

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry you need to design the whole lot as a system, otherwise you will be replacing drivers all the time, start with a 6” where the midbass will be and test to see what it’s bandwidth is, also test a subwoofer where you think it goes, then see where phase issues occur in both and work out whether you need 8” midbass or 6” will be ok

don’t just buy a 5.25” because you have a hole it fits, you may be better off with a 4” and a dedicated midbass for example

I’d be doing kick panels in any bmw as midbass locations every time! Hybrid u69v2 on a budget or an 8” driver will cover everything
Thank you! Yeah I just wanted to start with a good midrange speaker and go from there, as that's the most important speaker.

The subwoofer is another problem. I want the system to be hidden. Not obvious. I'll probably do a custom sub box in the trunk and make it look stock. I'm even considering undersea subs (gasp!) because they're literally invisible. Just not sure how they sound.

Sadly there's no space behind my kick panels as I added 3 layers of soundproofing along the floor of the car, and I don't want to custom fabricate, because then it'll be too obvious.

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Thank you! Yeah I just wanted to start with a good midrange speaker and go from there, as that's the most important speaker.

The subwoofer is another problem. I want the system to be hidden. Not obvious. I'll probably do a custom sub box in the trunk and make it look stock. I'm even considering undersea subs (gasp!) because they're literally invisible. Just not sure how they sound.

Sadly there's no space behind my kick panels as I added 3 layers of soundproofing along the floor of the car, and I don't want to custom fabricate, because then it'll be too obvious.
No it’s not… the most important speaker is the weakest link, work from that! What works where is decided by the install as a whole, not guess you need a 5” midrange and put it in a factory location, sorry but you are very much designing a system the wrong way

kick panels won't Be obvious at all, doors are awful places to put midbass drivers

You have potentially one of the best cars for sound quality, but don’t want to build it how the car deserves or can be made to sound excellent 🤷🏼‍♂️

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Also you have to make a decision on how much you are willing to modify your Alpina in order to achieve your audio goals. As stock the E38 has small enclosures in the doors, you don't want to squeeze a midwoofer that is meant to have the whole door as enclosure volume into a 2-3 liter enclosure

View attachment 339111
Yep, precisely! This is why I was initially thinking of getting the Dynaudio 430s and just getting a sub that can play up to 200hz.

I don't want to modify too much as it'll probably decrease the value of the car. I could remove the stock speaker box and mount the speaker without it. Thats fine. But the door speakers cannot be bigger than 5 inches, as the stock speaker grills are 5 inches, and I'm not comfortable with cutting the door panels :cry:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No it’s not… the most important speaker is the weakest link, work from that! What works where is decided by the install as a whole, not guess you need a 5” midrange and put it in a factory location, sorry but you are very much designing a system the wrong way

kick panels won't Be obvious at all, doors are awful places to put midbass drivers

You have potentially one of the best cars for sound quality, but don’t want to build it how the car deserves or can be made to sound excellent 🤷🏼‍♂️
Solid point. Only one speaker works in the car lol, that's why I wanted to start with the speakers. At least I can listen to some music while I get the rest of the stuff.

I thought you meant fabricating new kick panels that have the speakers protruding out. That's obvious. I wouldn't mind mounting them flush, but there's zero space behind the panels. Packed to the brim with layers of foam and MLV.

Yes that's why I joined. To get help haha. Yep it is a quiet car! I've always wanted to build a high end system, but never had the right car, or never kept a car long enough. I don't think I'll ever sell this car, and its quiet, so why not!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I'm not sure about the E38, but for the E39 that share the same speaker placement and construction, they make adapter plates to fit 6,5" behind the stock door panel. Sure the grill size is a bit restrictive then, but maybe it's a better compromise to have a 6.5" in the door that could output decent midbass, than a 4-5" driver that won't reach down to integrate with a subwoofer at a reasonable crossover frequency.

But alternatively you could get underseat subs and use them for midbass rather than subwoofers, and have a proper subwoofer in the back.

·
Super Moderator
2,573 Posts
I was initially thinking of getting the Dynaudio 430s and just getting a sub that can play up to 200hz.
This is going to sound like garbage... sorry to be blunt, but it's true.

I'm a huge Dynaudio fanboy. I even have the Esotar 430's.
They're a fantastic midrange (one of the best)... but the gap between 200Hz and your sub would be too much to overcome.
You simply will not get a subwoofer to play up to 200Hz, and sound good doing it.

Although I'd recommend the E430 in almost every midrange application... I wouldn't for what you're trying to do.
You need something that will comfortably play down to (at minimum) 100Hz.
You should be looking for a 5.25" driver, if your intention is to mount them in the factory door location.
Or, as @haakono mentioned above; if you can squeeze a 6.5" in there, with an adapter... that would be better.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.