DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

701 - 720 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I just cant see myself spending $1000 or more on an SACD player when I can download a 192/24 album to my computer for $25 and run it optical out to my external DAC.
As always it depends on how good the DAC is. I have done this comparison and my SACD/DVD-A player (Esoteric DV-50) smokes my external DAC (Micromega MyDAC), but the MyDAC is still an amazing value considering it's price.

Keep in mind the DV-50 is ancient in digital terms but still sounds fantastic to me.

Compare the top DAC's to the top players and it's probably a flip of a coin. My current reference is the Esoteric K-01x. It's just jaw drop-ingly good. If you have a high end audio store near you, grab a few discs and play. Disc spinners aren't obsolete yet and I honestly prefer them over streaming.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Macy Gray's just released new album "Stripped" from Chesky Records.

Amazing SQ and great music. Available in Hi-Res at a discount from HDtracks.

EXPIRES TOMORROW!!!....

Use code STRIPPED25 to save 25% when you purchase from

Stripped | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads

(Code only applicable to Macy Gray's Stripped purchased from HDTracks. Apply code at checkout. Offer expires September 23, 2016.

This is on sale again at HDtracks for 25% OFF until December 31st along with other titles.

Use Promo Codes:

"IAMWIN"

&

"NEWREVIEWS"

Chesky Records titles available for 30% OFF using Promo Code:

"CHESKY30FOR30"

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
What? You want Dynamics? Yeah, DYNAMICS!

The following is Orchestral, and similar in some ways to the Harry Potter OST, but also different. So needless to say, it's probably not for everyone, or not for everyday listening. But it's a FANTASTIC test for Dynamics, Imaging, Staging, DEPTH & Layering, and Ambiance.

The 2016 Original Motion Picture Soundtrack (2 Disc Deluxe Edition) of

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them by James Newton Howard.

HUUUUGE Percussion & Timpani Drums, Crescendos, Staging, Depth, Impact, and Ambiance, from ppp or "pianissimo", to fff or "fortississimo".

Nearly every track has something special that will impress if your system is up to snuff. I would give you specific tracks to listen to, but honestly they are all excellent for SQ in some way or have a little section buried somewhere in the track that is extra special.

Several of them are also "Medley" pieces which transition into some other slightly different styles, including "Ragtime" with piano, muted trumpets, clarinet, upright bass, and drum kit. IMO, the 2nd disc with the Bonus Tracks is just as good as the main disc.

Maybe just download the first two tracks on Disc 1 which are the "Main Titles" and "There Are Witches Among Us / The Bank / The Niffler" to see if there is anything there. Or you might want to download all of the Bonus Tracks on Disc 2, as they are each just about 2 minutes long, with more "EFX" sounds mixed in.

Just FYI, if you skip through some of the longer tracks and don't listen to them in their entirety, you might miss some special sauce.

If you don't like or can't appreciate this type of music, I completely understand...it's definitely not for everyone. However, if any of these tracks don't "show off your system", something is wrong with your setup and/or tune.

Happy listening...

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AmW70ymwG0gjiQrZL6piCGETgSzh

·
18,421 Posts
Bought this CD on Ebay last week, tonight just downloaded the 192/24 version of HD Tracks
Thanks. I'm wondering how the SACD would compare to the HDtracks version. I guess I can't go wrong with either though.

To make sure I was clear, the version I was talking about was specifically the MoFi remaster of Heartbeat City.

HDTracks does not offer any MoFi releases for sale. So if you did indeed buy the MoFi version of this disc on eBay just be aware you are comparing two different masters.

edit: that post sounds kind of d1ckish, so I just wanted to make sure you guys know that wasn't the intent. I'm just relaying the fact that the albums HDtracks are not MoFi releases and IMHO, I'd rather pay for a good MoFi remaster than another hi-res version of the same master I already have. IME the MoFi releases are usually quite nice.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
I've like this since I found out about it, but don't know where to buy the CD or download uncompressed files. One of the best guitar solos EVER.

And these kids are pretty good, I just discovered them today and though I had to share.

EDIT: Been listening to these guys for a while and this is some sexy metal, if there is such a thing.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me album.

Really great SQ and nice, soulful singing. Great kick drum on this track...Here But I'm Gone...

Also Check out Bernie Grundman Masters "When the Levee Breaks" as he masters one of the tracks from Vanessa's Led Zepplin cover album straight to an LP lacquer...Oh and Pause the video at 17:05 ;)

And Midnight Blues by Snowy White

·
Premium Member
357 Posts
I have two Supertramp tracks, "School", of course and the one he mentions "Cannonball". Have always felt it was special for some reason, now I know why.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Been a while, so I'm bringing this back to the top.

I've had and used several of these tracks for many years for tuning & system evaluation, but while searching for some other tracks, I came across this particular web page a while back...but just kept forgetting to post it here.

Many of these will probably not be on your "Everyday Listening" or "Favorites Playlist", but each will definitely bring a smile to your face if your system is really dialed in. ;) I just found the Link in my browser's Bookmarks/Favorites so here you go....

Top 10 Stereo Equipment Test Tracks - Lifewire

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Been a while, so I'm bringing this back to the top.

I've had and used several of these tracks for many years for tuning & system evaluation, but while searching for some other tracks, I came across this particular web page a while back...but just kept forgetting to post it here.

Many of these will probably not be on your "Everyday Listening" or "Favorites Playlist", but each will definitely bring a smile to your face if your system is really dialed in. ;) I just found the Link in my browser's Bookmarks/Favorites so here you go....

Top 10 Stereo Equipment Test Tracks - Lifewire

Thanks...

I created this as a playlist for Apple Music listeners...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/top-10-evaluation-tracks/idpl.01e548a8ac6d48caa8b4ac7ef8bb2db2

I'm unsure if the Saint-saens piece is the same recording referenced in the article, as iTunes did not show the Boston Audio Society's Test CD 1 as referenced, but this sounds like a great recording anyway.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Thanks...

I created this as a playlist for Apple Music listeners...

https://itunes.apple.com/us/playlist/top-10-evaluation-tracks/idpl.01e548a8ac6d48caa8b4ac7ef8bb2db2

I'm unsure if the Saint-saens piece is the same recording referenced in the article, as iTunes did not show the Boston Audio Society's Test CD 1 as referenced, but this sounds like a great recording anyway.
Cool, Ben. There are many different recordings of the Saint-Saëns’ Symphony No. 3 “Organ Symphony” piece by various orchestras and conductors so YMMV if you listen to a different version.

Some of you may also find the following Video and Topic interesting. It is put together by a Recording Engineer/Mixer/Producer named Warren Huart and his web site called, "Produce Like A Pro".

De-constructing Hendrix, Queen and more!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This for SQ and the music is great:
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours

This because the SQ is good and it offers deep pipe organ and vocals for scrutinizing your systems characteristics for those specific sounds:
John Rutter - Requiem

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA in 96/24

·
Registered
38 Posts
Vanessa Fernandez - Use Me album.

Really great SQ and nice, soulful singing. Great kick drum on this track...Here But I'm Gone...

Also Check out Bernie Grundman Masters "When the Levee Breaks" as he masters one of the tracks from Vanessa's Led Zepplin cover album straight to an LP lacquer...Oh and Pause the video at 17:05 ;)

And Midnight Blues by Snowy White

Vanessa Fernandez did a an album of Led Zeppelin covers. Holy crap it is awesome! Thanks for this tip :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
I've been using Amazon Ultra HD, and have downloaded hundreds of songs, many at 320bits (CD quality)
I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to go through all of the music I've already downloaded, then pick 15 or 20 of the songs I believe play best in my truck, even fine tune the best settings for each of those songs, and make myself brief notes for each. Then when doing a demo, I can go to a song, give it a quick pre-adjust and crank it up to the proper level right from the start. And of course put those in a folder labeled "Demo's".
Bam. Good to go 🙂

701 - 720 of 745 Posts