DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

721 - 740 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Cosmic Conspiracy 1996 on Joey Boy Records. The opening track into "All systems standing by" is phenomenal!!

Anything Bass 305

Anything from GRP Records
Anything Sade, Diane Shur, Dianna Krall, Dead can Dance featuring the song "The Wind That Shakes the Barley"

·
Registered
27 Posts
Jean Luc Ponty - Open Mind.

The opening track "Open Mind" simply does not prepare you for the rest of the album. "Solitude" is one of the tracks we used to use in the early 90's to demo subwoofers and just about everyone that worked at my shop kept a copy on cassette in their cars. It's a really well recorded album, and the track "Modern Time Blues" also has George Benson on guitar.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Jean Luc Ponty - Open Mind.

The opening track "Open Mind" simply does not prepare you for the rest of the album. "Solitude" is one of the tracks we used to use in the early 90's to demo subwoofers and just about everyone that worked at my shop kept a copy on cassette in their cars. It's a really well recorded album, and the track "Modern Time Blues" also has George Benson on guitar.
George Benson and Quincy Jones together= MAGIC.
ie " Give me the Night"

·
Registered
295 Posts
Anita Baker= The record "Rapture" I dont how how I forgot that record.
Driving around the summer of '97 in my 97 Mustang GT Convertible pumping that record top down via A/D/S AL 6 components front and rear (I know), and a Subsolutuons Bandpass box. 🙂 This was in an era where everyone was pumping Biggie "Ready to Die". (Biggie rocks) Such great memories! Then again this is why we do this! Car audio offers a magic that cant be captured/replicated in any audio listening experience.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think it was said on the 1st page,
mine is and always has been Madonna and MJ, some dire straits and Phil Collins, but then again, most of my playlists are all made up of 90’s songs, lol

krem

·
Registered
527 Posts
I've been using Amazon Ultra HD, and have downloaded hundreds of songs, many at 320 bits (CD quality)
I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to go through all of the music I've already downloaded, then pick 15 or 20 of the songs I believe play best in my truck, even fine tune the best settings for each of those songs, and make myself brief notes for each. Then when doing a demo, I can go to a song, give it a quick pre-adjust and crank it up to the proper level right from the start. And of course put those in a folder labeled "Demo's".
Bam. Good to go 🙂
320mbps are not cd quality bud :( that’s a decent mp3 but more than four times less than cd quality

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
320mbps are not cd quality bud :( that’s a decent mp3 but more than four times less than cd quality
Saying that the quality if 4 times less than CD isn't accurate either...

·
Registered
7,283 Posts
320 ripped from the true source is good enough for me that it's hard to tell. Mp3 isn't the monster it's made out to be. The issue lies in the original source being recorded well, then staying with a rate that doesn't stray too far. That's good enough for me not to worry about huge storages that strains decks to read our even worse, lugging around stacks of CD's. By the way.... I do have flac files too... not that big of a deal honestly.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I download the monthly and annual sampler compilations from Hyperion Records, U.K. Home Page which is almost exclusively Classical music. I'm not necessarily a huge classical fan, but I enjoy it from time to time, and you can usually count on it to be recorded extremely well.

Below is a Download link to just two of the tracks from the October 2019 Hyperion Sampler which are pretty freakin' amazing when played on a dynamic system with excellent focus, tonality, and soundstage.

The first one is, "Haydn: String Quartet in F major, Op 74 No 2 - Movement 4: Presto, by The London Haydn Quartet".

The second one is, "Prokofiev: Bass Drum Concerto - Movement 4: Allegro brilliante (May speed), by Joby Burgess; Alexey Bogorad: Ural Philharmonic".

WARNING: Be CAREFULL with the Prokofiev Bass Drum Concerto!!! This is a Highly Dynamic recording and is a SPEAKER POPPER!

Start playing this track only at a medium-low volume to start. I take no responsibility for blown drivers, haha. This track gets fairly "busy" and complex in certain sections. If your system is dialed-in, especially in the bass/midbass/midrange integration, and exhibits little dynamic compression, all of the instruments will maintain independent focus and separation in the soundstage. If not, it will tend to become just a loud, muddy, blurred "wall of sound". Not really for everyday listening, but enjoy.

bbfoto DIYMA sample Tracks - Hyperion Records Tracks - D/L

·
Registered
60 Posts
Turns out everybody's idea of music is as different as everybody's definition of SQ.

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
I download the monthly and annual sampler compilations from Hyperion Records, U.K. Home Page which is almost exclusively Classical music. I'm not necessarily a huge classical fan, but I enjoy it from time to time, and you can usually count on it to be recorded extremely well.

Below is a Download link to just two of the tracks from the October 2019 Hyperion Sampler which are pretty freakin' amazing when played on a dynamic system with excellent focus, tonality, and soundstage.

The first one is, "Haydn: String Quartet in F major, Op 74 No 2 - Movement 4: Presto, by The London Haydn Quartet".

The second one is, "Prokofiev: Bass Drum Concerto - Movement 4: Allegro brilliante (May speed), by Joby Burgess; Alexey Bogorad: Ural Philharmonic".

WARNING: Be CAREFULL with the Prokofiev Bass Drum Concerto!!! This is a Highly Dynamic recording and is a SPEAKER POPPER!

Start playing this track only at a medium-low volume to start. I take no responsibility for blown drivers, haha. This track gets fairly "busy" and complex in certain sections. If your system is dialed-in, especially in the bass/midbass/midrange integration, and exhibits little dynamic compression, all of the instruments will maintain independent focus and separation in the soundstage. If not, it will tend to become just a loud, muddy, blurred "wall of sound". Not really for everyday listening, but enjoy.

bbfoto DIYMA sample Tracks - Hyperion Records Tracks - D/L
I’ve downloaded many Hyperion albums since you turned me on to them. I forgot to get this one, so I’ll get it and listen on the home system - then in the car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
295 Posts
Whoda' thunk? :)

Post up some of your personal "must have" SQ albums. :)

And what's your definition of SQ? I'm interested in everyone's perspective.
Ive always thought those Bass productions from the 90s always sounded good. They were produced synthetically and mastered digitally. (DDD)
Many would argue that its not music but the question was reguarding SQ.
As far as actual instrumentation is concerned, Ive always been a fan of GRP records. Its a jazz fusion label from the 80s and 90s. They always paid close attention to recording details on most of those records.
Obviously QJ. Brilliant producer.

·
Registered
295 Posts

On a side note, I would add that alot of 70s disco had appreciable sound value.
Off the top of my head, "The Brothers Johnson", "STOMP".
Everything Earth Wind and Fire.

·
Registered
60 Posts

I have a wide genre of music that I listen to but my go-to for tuning a system would have to be Radiohead, In Rainbows album or anyting made by Beck. As far as my idea of SQ, my reference point is always going to be making my system replicate the music as if I were wearing a good set of headphones. Everything should come at you evenly and perfectly balanced so that you're engulfed by the sound in a true stereo form. Subwoofer integration with the front stage is the biggest challenge for most and this fascination with bass heavy systems is something we did in high school which was ultimately a dick measuring contest. I run gobs of class AB power not because I like loud but because I like to control my components without my equipment having to break a sweat doing it. I hope this doesn't offend anyone as it is not my intention but you asked so there it is.:)

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Ive always thought those Bass productions from the 90s always sounded good. They were produced synthetically and mastered digitally. (DDD)
Many would argue that its not music but the question was reguarding SQ.
As far as actual instrumentation is concerned, Ive always been a fan of GRP records. Its a jazz fusion label from the 80s and 90s. They always paid close attention to recording details on most of those records.
Obviously QJ. Brilliant producer.

On a side note, I would add that alot of 70s disco had appreciable sound value.
Off the top of my head, "The Brothers Johnson", "STOMP".
Everything Earth Wind and Fire.
Have to agree regarding the GRP label. EMI, Telarc, & Blue Note as well.

I've got an Old School Soul Party 3 Disc Compilation that has quite a few tracks that were really well-recorded.

And check out the Digital BASSics Compilation for some excellent SQ Bass tracks. ;)

I have a wide genre of music that I listen to but my go-to for tuning a system would have to be Radiohead, In Rainbows album or anyting made by Beck. As far as my idea of SQ, my reference point is always going to be making my system replicate the music as if I were wearing a good set of headphones. Everything should come at you evenly and perfectly balanced so that you're engulfed by the sound in a true stereo form. Subwoofer integration with the front stage is the biggest challenge for most and this fascination with bass heavy systems is something we did in high school which was ultimately a dick measuring contest. I run gobs of class AB power not because I like loud but because I like to control my components without my equipment having to break a sweat doing it. I hope this doesn't offend anyone as it is not my intention but you asked so there it is.:)
No offense taken!

And Radiohead and Beck are two of my favorites as well, and I completely agree regarding the SQ on most of their albums.

Here is the first "public" performance of Subterranean Homesick Alien and a "different" track from Beck... "Mexico" by Beck - KCRW Rare On Air.

Headphones can be a great reference for tuning your car or home system as it takes the "room" out of the equation, and its much easier to identity the proper imaging, staging, and tonality of the recording. Although most headphones do just an average job when it comes to replicating the DEPTH of the Soundstage.

However, on really dynamic and bass-heavy tracks such as the Prokofiev Concerto for Bass Drum that I posted, there is no better way to experience it than with a home or car stereo speaker + subwoofer system that is properly tuned! You just can't replicate the tactile and physical experience of all of that air moving & resonating within the room and your entire body! :D

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I just ran across another folder on one of my HDDs with a small collection of SQ tracks that I use to evaluate the system after my initial and subsequent DSP tuning sessions. While it is not a commercially released "SQ Album", I figured that some people might still be interested. It's highly probable that you already have at least a few of these tracks (see the attached track list), but here ya' go...

bbfoto DIYMA SQ Tuning Evaluation Tracks - D/L

Attachments

721 - 740 of 745 Posts