DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

741 - 745 of 745 Posts

·
Registered
7,494 Posts
Have to agree regarding the GRP label. EMI, Telarc, & Blue Note as well.

I've got an Old School Soul Party 3 Disc Compilation that has quite a few tracks that were really well-recorded.

And check out the Digital BASSics Compilation for some excellent SQ Bass tracks. ;)

No offense taken!

And Radiohead and Beck are two of my favorites as well, and I completely agree regarding the SQ on most of their albums.

Here is the first "public" performance of Subterranean Homesick Alien and a "different" track from Beck... "Mexico" by Beck - KCRW Rare On Air.

Headphones can be a great reference for tuning your car or home system as it takes the "room" out of the equation, and its much easier to identity the proper imaging, staging, and tonality of the recording. Although most headphones do just an average job when it comes to replicating the DEPTH of the Soundstage.

However, on really dynamic and bass-heavy tracks such as the Prokofiev Concerto for Bass Drum that I posted, there is no better way to experience it than with a home or car stereo speaker + subwoofer system that is properly tuned! You just can't replicate the tactile and physical experience of all of that air moving & resonating within the room and your entire body! :D
I really fell in love with Radiohead once I started listening to their albums with headphones. In Rainbows is probably my favorite of them all. Ok Computer, and Kid A are great, and tend to get more attention, but for me, it's all about In Rainbows.

Having said that. Headphones image well, but they don't stage well. We may be splitting hairs on the difference, but headphones place the "stage" inside your head, not out in front of you. They image amazingly well, every sound can be located with pinpoint accuracy, but there is no stage like there is with traditional speakers.

Headphones and typical speakers offer 2 distinctly different types of stereo. For me, some albums are better with headphones, and some are better with stereo speakers. I can enjoy In Rainbows either way, but headphones are my preferred approach to Radiohead.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Really good mix Billy! Really enjoying the tracks I didn’t already have. Thanks for sharing!!!
Thanks Jason.

If you or any of the others guys that have downloaded these tracks have the time, can you check to see if any of the tracks have a low-level static present mostly in the right channel??? I may have to re-rip and re-upload these tracks if so. Gremlins... :p

Thanks.

Will also try to upload another "Album of the Evening" in the other thread soon. ;)

·
Registered
4,622 Posts
Thanks Jason.

If you or any of the others guys that have downloaded these tracks have the time, can you check to see if any of the tracks have a low-level static present mostly in the right channel??? I may have to re-rip and re-upload these tracks if so. Gremlins... :p

Thanks.

Will also try to upload another "Album of the Evening" in the other thread soon. ;)
Yes - I can tell you now that a couple of the tracks did have exactly what you described - was listening on the home system while working yesterday......wait, what?......pause......ok, in the track I can’t remember which ones they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Yes - I can tell you now that a couple of the tracks did have exactly what you described - was listening on the home system while working yesterday......wait, what?......pause......ok, in the track I can’t remember which ones they were.
LOL. Thanks Jason. Sorry for the scare! Gotta figure out WTH is going on. :mad:

741 - 745 of 745 Posts