DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
VOLUMIO server running into HELIX PSIX via USB HEC. 2Tb of FLAC files at my fingertips..

Android PC I built as CARPC is controlling the Volumio via Web Interface..

Actually much simpler than it sounds.... and cheaper...
Got a write up on that magic?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Hard drive and RaspberryPi with HiFiBerry in trunk, controlled with a cheap tablet or my phone.
Quality, cheap and functional for me.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
lol my head hurts just thinking about it:laugh:
I just noticed that you and I are going to have very similar set-ups in very similar vehicles (per signatures)!

Sorry for thread jack

·
Registered
114 Posts
No clue. Haven't messed with iTunes at all. I know what works with my factory headunit and it's a pretty universal format for everything else.

As for flash drives I swear by the Sandisk Cruzer Glide drives. The 32gb is like $8 each and they don't get hot with doing a marathon file transfer. Probably because the actual drive is encased in thick plastic, lol. Either way, never as much as a hiccup out of any of them. PNY makes Baby Jesus cry in my experience. The larger profile of the Cruzer gives my short stubby fingers something to hold on to while threading the needle into my usb port.
lol same thing here. got a pny drive and it managed to skip when plugged in to the hu. back to the old cruzers never went wrong.

pretty basic setup here its usb or bluetooth into the headunit. kdc x399 does a full 4v through all 3 outputs. turns up to max volume with no distortion. can even turn up the subwoofer out gain one notch without distortion. all tested with smd dd1. i have the extra notch saved for tracks that i know have -1db bass in them. for everything else my system will tolerate the full brickwalled 0db bass electronic tracks that are common and stay at <1% thd and rms ratings of the subs and speakers. no eq is ever used. did all eq though speaker selection, placement, and high/low pass filters on the amps set by ear.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You can also download the music files via Tidal Offline.
I tried tidal. sadly out of 1500 songs I have on my iPod they have 100-120 I listen to. they have a terrible selection in some areas and of course everything known to man in the new mainstream radio garbage. I listen to my iPod 10-12hrs a night at work plus driving and would be nice to be able to have tidal quality or better on there.

·
Banned
1,554 Posts
Uncompressed wav files on SD cards, mainly, with ipod as a backup. If I wanted the ipod feel for everything with no compression or format issues, I would go with a DAP. I'm waiting for the price points to settle completely, so to speak, although you can do pretty well for not too much even now.

·
Registered
662 Posts
So for the past years I have been using an iPod because it's been easy to use. I don't like using my phone for music because of work and riding a motorcycle. I got some base line tuning in with a friend today he was streaming off Tidal on his phone and I was blown away (first time dsp user here). On the way home I plugged my iPod in and it sounds so bad. I have a lot compressed music files and need redo my library that is a given. But are y'all using phones or jump drives or what to listen to music?
I use a IPad that is mounted in the dash. All music is in Flac.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Uncompressed wav files on SD cards, mainly, with ipod as a backup. If I wanted the ipod feel for everything with no compression or format issues, I would go with a DAP. I'm waiting for the price points to settle completely, so to speak, although you can do pretty well for not too much even now.
I have usb on my deck so thumb drive instead of sd card? And what is a DAP?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm curious as to how you get an iPad to play flac? And where do you get flac files from? Just ripping cds?
I use a hi res app called kaiser tone to play flac. I use HD tracks to get hi res in flac.
iPhone X supports Flac now and iPad should soon without a hi res player

·
Registered
662 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Thumb drive is fine, or sd to usb converters exist too.

DAP is "Digital Audio Player" - fiio, Onkyo (and others) make them. Basically like ipods, but better.
That's interesting I didn't know anything was as user friendly as iPod but that's a cool concept

21 - 40 of 97 Posts