DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
2961 - 2980 of 2989 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,962 ·
Quite like the grundy sound of this band. Sounding more like something 80s along the lines of Cure, Birthday Party , Depeche Mode with plenty of guitar work if that’s your thing.
Fills the car nicely although Im using one of my dsp maps to fill out the lower registers a bit more on this track.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Quite like the grundy sound of this band. Sounding more like something 80s along the lines of Cure, Birthday Party , Depeche Mode with plenty of guitar work if that’s your thing.
Fills the car nicely although Im using one of my dsp maps to fill out the lower registers a bit more on this track.

I think these are hilarious, not judging anyone at all. We all like what we like but depeche mode coming in @ 2.09

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Mo' Gigs - Don't Throw Me To The Lions

https://soundcloud.com/colorredmusic%2Fmo-gigs-dont-throw-me-to-the-lions-color-red-music

And from the "If You Got The Blues" album by Dragondeer...Harmonica Blues/Rock with a bit of Ska-Reggae thrown in...

https://soundcloud.com/dragondeer%2Fsame-train-010818
https://soundcloud.com/dragondeer%2Fbroadway-avenue-010818
https://soundcloud.com/dragondeer%2Fwont-back-down-010818
https://soundcloud.com/dragondeer%2Fdarkest-rocks-010818

And some Retro/Downtempo/Ambient/ChillOut/Electro-Soul/Groove/Mood Music...

The Echo System - Return to Zero

'Love Tree (Artifakts Remix)' by The Echo System

Electric Beethoven - 'The Fifth' | Color Red Music

The Echo System - Out West (Daily Bread Remix) | Color Red Remix

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
In the car right now.

(y) (y)

This is definitely an amazing performance with amazing musicians!

When I first heard this recording of "John Henry", I was immediately drawn to the sound of Lawrence Leathers' 22" Zildjian Artisan ride cymbal. IMO its particular sound is simply "jazz ride" perfection. But it was most likely his technique and "touch" in playing it that made it sing.

If you know anything about drummers, you'll realize that they are always on the mad quest for that one perfect cymbal, or set of cymbals. ;) And for me, as soon as I heard Lawrence's ride cymbal in "John Henry", it was one of those, "I gotta have THAT cymbal" revelations! :p

But listening to this recording and the songs from Cécile's two Grammy winning albums that Lawrence played on is always bittersweet. Lawrence was choked & beaten to death by his own nut case of a girlfriend and an accomplice in his own home in NYC and left for dead just a few years ago at the young age of 37. :(

A former student of the renowned Juilliard School (who actually sought him out because of his natural talent), many of his peers said that he was well on his way to becoming one of the jazz greats of drumming.

Life takes strange and unfortunate turns sometimes. :(

·
Registered
5,084 Posts
(y) (y)

This is definitely an amazing performance with amazing musicians!

When I first heard this recording of "John Henry", I was immediately drawn to the sound of Lawrence Leathers' 22" Zildjian Artisan ride cymbal. IMO its particular sound is simply "jazz ride" perfection. But it was most likely his technique and "touch" in playing it that made it sing.

If you know anything about drummers, you'll realize that they are always on the mad quest for that one perfect cymbal, or set of cymbals. ;) And for me, as soon as I heard Lawrence's ride cymbal in "John Henry", it was one of those, "I gotta have THAT cymbal" revelations! :p

But listening to this recording and the songs from Cécile's two Grammy winning albums that Lawrence played on is always bittersweet. Lawrence was choked & beaten to death by his own nut case of a girlfriend and an accomplice in his own home in NYC and left for dead just a few years ago at the young age of 37. :(

A former student of the renowned Juilliard School (who actually sought him out because of his natural talent), many of his peers said that he was well on his way to becoming one of the jazz greats of drumming.

Life takes strange and unfortunate turns sometimes. :(
Thanks for that BB - I’m going to listen to both albums today - specifically listening to the percussion - I have loved the way the kick was tuned and recorded on that track - but now I want to pay attention to the cymbal and his overall technique. Really cool to get a little insight into a band that just makes their music that much more intriguing.

And reading about his tragic death also makes me want to listen closely because this is all there is of his amazing talent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Super Moderator
901 Posts
Reactions: bertholomey

·
Registered
259 Posts
Reactions: MythosDreamLab

·
Registered
259 Posts
Liked her voice from the one album I've listened to by her. Came across this live performance of one of my favorite songs off that album, anyway holy **** can she sing.

Reactions: bbfoto
2961 - 2980 of 2989 Posts