DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have heard others say that this makes a noticeable difference in SQ, so what brand/type of cabling is at the "top of the heap"? I want to use something good, and I honestly know very little about which brand would be better than another. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I work in pro audio, and I can tell you we did a show this weekend with a $120K system and the wire used was essentially 12 AWG extension cord wire. Some people would say that wire makes a difference, and some would say that it's to make people feel like they are a "real" audiophile.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I like streetwires. They make quality/affordable wiring & accessories. If your picky about sticking with 1 brand for wiring, this is the 1 brand that will carry mostly or all the accessories you need for a custom install.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Skorzen said:
I work in pro audio, and I can tell you we did a show this weekend with a $120K system and the wire used was essentially 12 AWG extension cord wire. Some people would say that wire makes a difference, and some would say that it's to make people feel like they are a "real" audiophile.

Amen, Where and in what feild of pro audio do you work? We share similar jobs :)

Chad

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to do it just to "feel" like an audiophile, but I thought cars needed some kind of upgraded wiring to reject as much interference as possible? There's gotta be some brands/types that do this better than others.........

·
Registered
374 Posts
Wire for the most part is wire... from what I understand wire doesn't make that much of a sonic difference. I imagine that it's hard to tell the difference between Streetwires, Stinger, or whatever in a blind test (even more so in a car environment). But I've heard that Radio Shack wire is bad and to stay away from using telephone cords* for speaker wire LOL.

Ryan

* - A few years ago I talked to an owner of a high end home audio shop in Detroit and he told be about a guy that bought a several thousand dollar system from them and later on called to say it sounded like **** when he hooked it up. The owner came out and found the problem was that the guy used 20 year old telephone cord for speaker wire. :eek:

·
Registered
8 Posts
chad said:
Amen, Where and in what feild of pro audio do you work? We share similar jobs :)

Chad

I am in central MA, I mostly work do sound re-enforcement for local stuff and the occasional national act. I have at times worked as an AV installer for schools and churchs as well. That gig I was refering too we had 12 JBL Vertec boxes a side :D .

Wire for the most part is wire... from what I understand wire doesn't make that much of a sonic difference. I imagine that it's hard to tell the difference between Streetwires, Stinger, or whatever in a blind test (even more so in a car environment). But I've heard that Radio Shack wire is bad and to stay away from using telephone cords* for speaker wire
I totally agree, speaker wire is speaker wire as long as it is speaker wire ;)

·
Registered
655 Posts
The wire used can make a sonic difference depending on the material used, thickness of wire, thickness of the wires that make up the wire, etc. I can easily hear a difference, but as long as you get speaker wire then you're fine. They should be pretty cheap, just avoid telephone wiring.

If you're using active crossovers then you won't notice the difference at all. Wiring makes the greatest impact in passive systems.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
xencloud said:
Hi all,

I have heard others say that this makes a noticeable difference in SQ, so what brand/type of cabling is at the "top of the heap"? I want to use something good, and I honestly know very little about which brand would be better than another. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I agree with everyone else here that speaker wire is speaker wire but it's not clear if you're asking about speaker wire or interconnects. Interconnects can benefit from additional shielding and twisted pair configurations for noise rejection. But the ultra expensive stuff doesn't do much better than the mid line stuff. Just get the cheapest twisted pair interconnects you can get.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I would like to add that tinned copper wire should be used whenever, especially if the wire will be exposed to any moisture, which most wire is mobile audio. I've done some testing and seen a measurable resistance that's been caused by corrosion in a very humid environment. Gets green and nasty real quick. I try to use tinned marine wire. It's cheap, works great, hasn't corroded in years.

·
Registered
693 Posts
it's amazing how Radio Shack wiring sounds exactly the same as the Stinger wiring i have now. dont waste your money on brand names. u wont hear any difference.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Choose wire for the most part based on three criteria, ranked in the order that you find most appropriate: aesthetics, build quality, flexibility, and price. (I've no interest in car audio competition, so for me the order for car audio is price, flexibility, and aesthetics.) Most of the stuff you find at Parts Express, knukonceptz.com, etc. is sufficiently well made, IMO.

If anyone tries to tell you that wires make a sonic difference, refuse to buy wires (or anything else) from that person on the grounds that con men should not be encouraged. Once a salesman lost a EUR5000 speaker purchase from me because he tried to get me to hear the difference a 75 euro vibration gizmo makes when you put it under an integrated amp, and I made damn sure he knew why he could unload those Avalon Avatars from his truck.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Skorzen said:
I am in central MA, I mostly work do sound re-enforcement for local stuff and the occasional national act. I have at times worked as an AV installer for schools and churchs as well. That gig I was refering too we had 12 JBL Vertec boxes a side :D .

Live guy here too. Retired from the road 2 years ago and settled down. Toured hard 3 years before that in the summer and local club/corporate in the winter. Before those 3 years I did mostly local and coroprate as well as radio engineering.

Work at the local University now and do sound for ONE band every now and then (regualr but 2-3 times a month) they are good friends and I have been with them 12 years. Now it's a hobby with expensive toys and a LOT of shows under my belt:)

GOOD TO SEE ANOTHER ONE OF US HERE!!!! Welcome!

Chad

·
Registered
29 Posts
I used radioshack 16gauge wire for speakers, and my RCA cables are.. literately, RCA stereo wires. No noise, ever.. and as far as I can tell, it works excellently.

As for whether or not they make an audible difference, I've heard a few people say you can tell the difference after you switch back... ie, when you go back to the wire you were using before.

·
Registered
8 Posts
HIS4 said:
I agree with everyone else here that speaker wire is speaker wire but it's not clear if you're asking about speaker wire or interconnects. Interconnects can benefit from additional shielding and twisted pair configurations for noise rejection. But the ultra expensive stuff doesn't do much better than the mid line stuff. Just get the cheapest twisted pair interconnects you can get.

Actually no, twisted pair will not help in an unbalenced system, and may be harmful. The idea of the twisted pair(as I understand it) is to make the noise interference as even as possable between the two wires so that when the signal is recombined at the device the noise is more effectively cancled. The only effect I can think that twisted pair wire in an unbalenced inter connect would be to increase noise.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Skorzen said:
Actually no, twisted pair will not help in an unbalenced system, and may be harmful. The idea of the twisted pair(as I understand it) is to make the noise interference as even as possable between the two wires so that when the signal is recombined at the device the noise is more effectively cancled. The only effect I can think that twisted pair wire in an unbalenced inter connect would be to increase noise.
From what I understand about twisted pair, the pairs are twisted such that the noise in each conductor is out of phase from each other. When signal is combined at the other end of the cable, the two out of phase signals essentially cancel each other out. This only helps if the noise in each conductor is equal. This is common for induced noise which orginates from EMF from the car's chassis. Noise that comes from other sources like processors, head units etc often are unbalanced and therefore do not get cancelled out by the twisted pairs. In the worst case, if noise is present in both conductors and are not equal to each other, they would add as you mentioned. But this is a worse case scenario which rarely happens. This type of problem is usually caused by installer error or equipment defects rather than EMF.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I make my own interconnects from whatever wire we have around the shop. Speaker wire, I use the same....what ever is near me...

·
Registered
8 Posts
I don't know enough about the science to know for sure, but I can not see why by simply twisting the wires you are going to get the signals out of phase. This would seem to indicate that when using a balanced system you would in fact introduce noise, when the signals are flipped back into phase so would the noise. Here is an artical I read on the subject in which the twisted pair wire faired the worst against coaxial wire in a blind test. Granted this test does not have as many hard scientific numbers as I would like, but is interesting.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
chad said:
Skorzen said:
Work at the local University now and do sound for ONE band every now and then (regualr but 2-3 times a month) they are good friends and I have been with them 12 years. Now it's a hobby with expensive toys and a LOT of shows under my belt:)

GOOD TO SEE ANOTHER ONE OF US HERE!!!! Welcome!

Chad
What band is that, Chad? I'm pretty high on a couple of the (mostly now-defunct) area bands out in C-U...

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
Well, this test has been performed and is available in the peer-reviewed audio literature at your local university library, but for those who feel there's a conspiracy in the audio field...

The actual electrical properties of wire is not terribly difficult to analyze. One famous paper that comes to mind was printed in the J.AES several years ago - author's name is Fred E. Davis (I can send a .pdf copy to those interested). His analysis consisted of measuring the electrical properties of a sample of about 10 different wire types, and calculating their interactions with amplifiers. The wires he chose were among the very expensive, to the exotic types (flat, multiple conductors, etc), to average speaker wire, lamp cord, all the way to a pair of jumper cables. Basically, the results were that the differences between them could in fact be measured electrically (no surprise), that the "quality" of the electrical properties didn't always correspond with price, and that the greatest differences were still so miniscule that they at the most result in attenuation of a mere fraction of a dB, phase and group delay, etc characteristics that were amazingly low, and frequency response characteristics that were still far better than those of the amplifiers themselves.

In short, it's been analyzed and to this point no differences that could be picked up by our ears have been found.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts