DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I think I've decided to not install the new alarm I purchased my self. It seems you need a special programming tool anyways. So I purchased a Viper 5901 and have it already but my question is, what can I expect someone to charge me to install it? I'll probably look for a decent audio place as I don't trust Best Buy to much.

Some info,

The car is a 2008 Chevy HHR 1LT. It doesn't have factory remote start, has all power windows and locks. Has the factory theft device (think they all do). The alarm is the remote start version.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

·
Registered
115 Posts
So plan on having it installed as a remote start and alarm or just an alarm? If you plan on doing it as a start as well, you are going to need to purchase a transponder bypass and if you want full feature door lock integration, you're going to need a can-bus door lock adapter. Those two pieces will probably be ~$100 and then tack on 4 hours of labor at ~$65 per hour...so a grand total of ~$360 (at least that's what we'd charge you at our shop). Also if you get the start feature, find a shop that uses the twist and tape method instead of t-taps to tap into the wires. T-taps will fall apart in a few years and you will be left with a non-working remote starter (or depending on the transponder bypass used, a non-starting vehicle). Also a warning...GM cars don't like remote starters or alarms, so make sure wherever you go backs up their install with a long (lifetime) warranty.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I imagine with the warranty if something did happen and I went back they would try and blame it on the alarm and since I didn't buy it through them they would say "Not our problem"

But yes it would be remote start door locks and all that. By twist and tape method I imagine you mean cutting the wires and splicing them? Also the programmer is it absolutely needed to install one of these? Or does it just make programming easier? I used to work in a car audio install shop and have done alarm installs before but we never had to use these back then. It was all just programmed via the brain and keypad.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I would expect even more. I would guess more like $450ish but it depends on where you are. Definitely have a competant installer do the work. The last thing you want a hack touching is an alarm.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah which is why I usually try and do the work my self haha. Just not sure about this programming tool. It's kind of crazy it seems to charge 450 installation for an alarm that cost 300 bucks. Actually was 275 with free shipping.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
If you know someone in the biz, you could probably do most of the wiring yourself and save a bundle. Tearing up the car just to run one wire to the trunk pin switch costs a lot of money. DIY and save! Most shops won't let you do this, however, if you still expect a warranty. That's why you need to know someone. Yeah, it sucks. I paid twice what my alarm costs in installation.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I'm reading over the install manual to see if it's necessary to use the programming tool.

Also is this the bypass I would need? Seems to do just about everything.

XpressKit.com - XK01

Not sure if this one does the transponder bypass though?

This one looks like it may be a little better and does mention transponder bypass.

http://www.xpresskit.com/product.aspx?prodid=CANMAX400DEI

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the special tool you are talking about is the bitwriter, I don't believe you absolutely need it to do the install. I installed a clifford RSX 3.3 (same as a viper 5701, very similar to your 5901 minus the remote) myself on my 2004 G35X and did not need a bitwriter. All the programming instructions come with the unit. As stated before, you will definitely need a transponder bypass. As for the keylock unit, that is completely dependent on your specific vehicle.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah I also saw the Bitwriter is not very expensive as I thought it would be. Could very easily buy the Bitwriter and still spend less then installation. I think I'll be placing an order for a few more parts tonight. I just have to figure out if I need more then just the CANMAX400DEI or if it'll work by it self. It does the Door keylocks and everything anyways so should do everything I need I believe.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm reading over the install manual to see if it's necessary to use the programming tool.

Also is this the bypass I would need? Seems to do just about everything.

XpressKit.com - XK01

Not sure if this one does the transponder bypass though?

This one looks like it may be a little better and does mention transponder bypass.

XpressKit.com - CANMAX400DEI
Yeah, you need to second one to start the car. You could get by with only the first one if you were doing just alarm. As far as the warranty and shop are concerned, just be sure to speak with the shop beforehand. Some shops will not offer warranty on products not purchased from them, but some will warranty the actual install, so long as it's not the product. In reality you probably are better off getting everything from the shop, but you're not screwed.

And twist and tape doesn't cut wires, but rather a small portion of the wire's insulation is stripped back and a pick tool is used to part the bare wires and the joining wire is inserted and twisted around. Its a very solid and lasting connection, but it takes almost as much time as soldering.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok we are getting ready to order some more stuff and just do the install our self. I am not to worried about the warranty as if something goes wrong I can take care of it later on. I just was unsure of how things were working now as it has been a little while since I have installed anything. It looks like things are actually easier now though. So I am going to list what I believe I need other then the alarm it self.

CANMAX400DEI Transponder and Door lock and window bypass.

USB Bootloader for the CANMAX as I dont think the stock firmware will work? Or will it?

Also I believe I may need the XKEYCHGM keypass. I am not sure if I need this? Do all newer GM cars use the microchipped keys?

I think this should be just about it? One thing I question is the CANMAX400DEI says it needs 2 keys to be programmed but 0 to operate. Does this mean I need to purchase 2 of the XKEYCHGM?

·
Registered
115 Posts
Okay...
-The CANMAX400DEI -- This will handle your factory alarm integration, factory doorlock integration, and transponder bypass.
-You will need the Xloader to flash the most current firmware. (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED...I can't tell you how many GM's come back with dead starters because the firmware had a bug in it! We sell compustar, but I'm sure its similar with DEI stuff.) XpressKit.com - XKLOADER2

That's it! You should only need the CANMAX and its programmer. This unit should plug into your alarm brain and you'll be gravy. It says you need 2 keys to program, that's referring to both keys that came with your car. Likely you will have to hold and button and systematically insert each key into the lock to program the bypass (It tricks your car into thinking it has the key with transponder in the cylinder). The programing instructions will be vehicle specific, I'm not sure without looking at the manual, but one of the ones under "manual downloads" tab on the CANMAX page.

Read the instructions, try not to cut any wires or short anything out, and give yourself plenty of time. Don't be afraid to call tech support.
Cheers!

*EDIT* It looks like your car doesn't require door lock integration through data, so you may only need to get the bypass w/o the doorlock integration, but I'm not sure about the factory alarm, you may be better off getting the CANMAX piece.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah the Canmax is only 50 bucks or so. From what I gather this should let me do just about everything I want except maybe rear hatch release... It doesn't have a stock hatch release so I may have to run a relay or something to the power hatch. The hatch works with a little button that's on the door latch back there you push it and it's an electronic switch instead of a normal mechanical handle. So hopefully with the CANMAX400 I can get windows, doors, and remote start all working.

The reason I said alarms seem easier now is because the bypass just plugs directly into your new alarm and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you have to connect after that. I don't think I'll have any problems I used to do this stuff for a living just seems everything has changed a good bit since then. Back when I was doing it we had to tap each wire individually and manually bypass starter kills and all that good stuff :)

Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
115 Posts
Yeah the Canmax is only 50 bucks or so. From what I gather this should let me do just about everything I want except maybe rear hatch release... It doesn't have a stock hatch release so I may have to run a relay or something to the power hatch. The hatch works with a little button that's on the door latch back there you push it and it's an electronic switch instead of a normal mechanical handle. So hopefully with the CANMAX400 I can get windows, doors, and remote start all working.

The reason I said alarms seem easier now is because the bypass just plugs directly into your new alarm and there isn't a whole heck of a lot you have to connect after that. I don't think I'll have any problems I used to do this stuff for a living just seems everything has changed a good bit since then. Back when I was doing it we had to tap each wire individually and manually bypass starter kills and all that good stuff :)

Thanks for all the help!
You'll still have to tap into quite a few wires by hand, but its not so bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts