DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

Installing a set of Hertz MLK 1650.3 Legend 6.5" Components in my new car

Will be running them active off an Audiocontrol D-5.1300 amp, i assume this will be enough power (Meant to be 100w each speaker channel and AC are known for under estimating the figures.

Am i right in thinking this will be ample power, or too much??

I plan to run them active and as much as im running them off a dsp, i still want to add a layer of protection to the tweeters

Can anyone suggest what uF rating capacitor i would run inline with my tweeters?

Datasheet - https://static.hertz-audio.com/media/2021/04/Hertz_TechSheet_MLK-165_3_revD.pdf

Thanks

· Premium Member
1,037 Posts
I have those same speakers and was running them active off of a Kicker Key 200.4 which gave them 50 watts rms to each speaker. They can certainly handle more power and I think that 75 or 100 watts would have been better as I always wanted just a little more out of them.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Hi There,

Installing a set of Hertz MLK 1650.3 Legend 6.5" Components in my new car

Will be running them active off an Audiocontrol D-5.1300 amp, i assume this will be enough power (Meant to be 100w each speaker channel and AC are known for under estimating the figures.

Am i right in thinking this will be ample power, or too much??

I plan to run them active and as much as im running them off a dsp, i still want to add a layer of protection to the tweeters

Can anyone suggest what uF rating capacitor i would run inline with my tweeters?

Datasheet - https://static.hertz-audio.com/media/2021/04/Hertz_TechSheet_MLK-165_3_revD.pdf

Thanks
I'll leave this here, look at the first order C1 column, 3rd column.

· Registered
4,298 Posts

· Registered
372 Posts
It depends on what crossover frequency you are choosing but I presume you would be sticking with the original 3.5khz just make sure whatever cap you choose that it's filtering well out of the operating pass band eg: well below 3.5khz , probably any cap that filters from 1k down would be ok , look at the chart that was referenced.

Personally I am not a fan of protection caps and have never used them on my active tweeters I have never blown a tweeter or ever had a problem with not running them.

· Premium Member
1,037 Posts
The Hertz speakers sound great and really do everything very well. The mids can be crossed lower than a lot of 6.5" speakers and the tweeters are clear and smooth with no harshness. Like any 6.5" you will need a sub, but I enjoy them and I am going to install them in my Mercedes as my brother wants to buy the car that they are in.

· Registered
217 Posts
well Im not using any cap, but I have run these tweeter at 2.5k and 3.15k 24db slopes on my pioneer deh-80prs, they sound really good to my ears. I have about 155w to them. maybe if I had a better dsp, I can try 3.5k

· Registered
04 Cadillac CTS- Helix V8- RF Type RFX7-AF GB10/25/60- Kicker CompVR 10”
98 Posts
I haven’t installed these yet since I’m still working on the A pillars, but they were only $10 shipped in a few days.

Also took this screenshot when checking into tweeter protection
Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Pattern

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.