DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

With all these DIY components floating around, I'm curious how people are matching them up and how they sound! When you guys post your setup, could you also give an approximate price range of the drivers so I know which one is in my budget?

Several of my friends have recommended the LPG 25nfa and the seas CA18RNX to me. (I'll be putting only 7.5watts RMS @ 8ohms to the tweeters, would that be enough?). I think that's the route I'm going, but this is my first DIY purchase and I want to see what else is out there.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not yet. Worry not, Npdang's got my order out and I should have my components soon! I will post a review as soon as I can!

David

P.S. I'm really interested! Also insterested about what everyone is using for their components.... Let's hear it!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Phaze audio 6.5's / Aura MR tweets. p9 and all LP power, i'm really liking it right now.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I have Peerless CSX 850518 6.5" mids and Phass NT 28TC 28mm tweeters (Thanks npdang!) off a Phaze Audio Tube Driver TD475. The mids and highs are awaiting to be installed though.

Ryan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kappa546: Man I heard those tweeters were pretty sweet. Did you pick them up from ECA for dirt cheap prices? How did you end up mounting them? (the ones on ECA were glued to a ring I believe)

|Tch0rT| : Phass NT 28TC 28mm.. Wow, I was going to pick these up from npdang but you beat me to them! Hehe I ended up picking the 25NFA. How are the phass NT?

minitruck_freq : How much power are you givng the 25NFA... I'm thinking of feeding them 7.5 watts @ 8 ohms. I hope they can balance with the CA18RNX that's getting 40watts RMS @8ohms.

David

·
Registered
693 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
kappa546: Man I heard those tweeters were pretty sweet. Did you pick them up from ECA for dirt cheap prices? How did you end up mounting them? (the ones on ECA were glued to a ring I believe)

|Tch0rT| : Phass NT 28TC 28mm.. Wow, I was going to pick these up from npdang but you beat me to them! Hehe I ended up picking the 25NFA. How are the phass NT?

minitruck_freq : How much power are you givng the 25NFA... I'm thinking of feeding them 7.5 watts @ 8 ohms. I hope they can balance with the CA18RNX that's getting 40watts RMS @8ohms.

David

they are getting about 50 watts.

·
Registered
415 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
7" Vifa PL18's and LPG 25nfa's. the LPG's are great. cant say much for the Vifa's though.
haha..i must agree with you..
___

I have/uninstalled:

LCY 130 Ribbon tweeters
Seas Lotus Reference 4.5" mids
Seas H1224 7" woofers

·
Registered
374 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:

David
I haven't installed them yet. I hooked them up for a few minutes to make sure they worked. Even though npdang said they were smooth they still sounded a little bright (not that it's a bad thing) but that's compared to my Oz Audio OZ-25 silk dome tweeters I had (before a local shop blew them when I had them installed). I'm afraid they'll be more detailed than the Peerless mids I have and they won't match right. heh I'll find out soon enough.

Ryan

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
|Tch0rT| - Good luck with those. Hey if they don't match, that's not necessary a bad thing either :) It's an excuse to buy more details mids!

Let us know how it sounds when you get them hooked up! By the way, how are you mounting them? Another thing stoping me from picking them up was that I don't think those screw holes would look good if it was mounted on the door panel.

David

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Aura NS2 "Whisper" widebanders on top with Peerless SLS8's underneath. No subwoofers, but with the hardtop on the two little 8's do a frightfully clean job (the doorpanels are the limiter, not the woofers) on 16Hz organ pedals. (With the soft-top on or the top down, I keep the volume fairly low so as not to annoy those in other cars around me.) IMO, Peerless's woofer motors are the best overhung designs out there today.

I've been playing with crossover corner frequencies and slopes recently, but I keep coming back to my starting point: 4th order electrical (acoustical slopes pretty close, too) at around 400Hz for both drivers.

·
Registered
684 Posts
hey DS, what organ songs are you listening to that drop that low? I've been looking for some organ music that gets really low lately.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update!

I got my CA18RNX and 25NFAs today! NPDang got them to me in excellent packaging!

It was late at night when I had them in my hands. I didn't want to use my power tools (too much) so I did a really rough baffle. It turns out that with a 1" baffle, the mids perfectly my 94 accord coupe! It turned out a big surprise because Npdang looked at my car, he and I both agreed that it couldn't be done. I guess the saying always holds true "you never know until you try!"

The bad news is that i already made holes for my orion HCCA 5s tweeters. Removing the tweeters gave a hole slightly larger than I need for the 25nFA. I'm going to give hot glue a try tomorrow. I'll make nice Baffle and take picks to show you guys how tight of a fit I got it in!

Also upgrade my Clarion 7.5watts x 2 for a Coustic 25x2 (8ohms) for my tweeters. This is going to sound sweet! (I hope!)

David

·
Registered
693 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Update!

I got my CA18RNX and 25NFAs today! NPDang got them to me in excellent packaging!

It was late at night when I had them in my hands. I didn't want to use my power tools (too much) so I did a really rough baffle. It turns out that with a 1" baffle, the mids perfectly my 94 accord coupe! It turned out a big surprise because Npdang looked at my car, he and I both agreed that it couldn't be done. I guess the saying always holds true "you never know until you try!"

The bad news is that i already made holes for my orion HCCA 5s tweeters. Removing the tweeters gave a hole slightly larger than I need for the 25nFA. I'm going to give hot glue a try tomorrow. I'll make nice Baffle and take picks to show you guys how tight of a fit I got it in!

Also upgrade my Clarion 7.5watts x 2 for a Coustic 25x2 (8ohms) for my tweeters. This is going to sound sweet! (I hope!)

David

get that stuff installed dude. im anxious to here how u like the ca18's.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Got most of the stuff installed today. Didn't have time to wire up the Amp yet, I'm give the LPGs just 7.5 watts right now. They actually sound really nice too.

I didn't even have time to EQ it. It's left as stock for now. I spent the entire day putting these mids in. They are trickly since I had exactly just enough space to work with.

I'll install the 25 watt (8ohm) amp by next week and do a little EQ'ing and let you guys know the results.

Here's my day's work

This is my old setup, Orion HCCA 5s mids. These 5.25" mids were beefy! They had pretty good midbass and had a 2.75" mounting depth...

Here's the beast!

The Orion HCCA 5s tweeter mounts are just a TAD larger than my LPG tweeter. What I had to do was sand the inside of the orion mounts until it's the tickness of 2 sheets of paper! Then I managed to slip in the LPG.

David

·
Registered
415 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Here's the beast!
i hope you dampened and sealed that thing up really well.. it really makes all the difference<!!

hows it sound btw???? :wink:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It sounds really clear and crips even without the deflex pad behind the mids or any major EQ'ing. The midbass is by far the most noticable, brining my sound stage very upfront. I definately need to get some damping in there.... But I haven't found a good price/source for damping yet. Still waiting for rick's respond (from Raamaudio).

David

1 - 20 of 95 Posts