DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
818 Posts
I have Peerless CSX 850518 6.5" mids and Phass NT 28TC 28mm tweeters (Thanks npdang!) off a Phaze Audio Tube Driver TD475. The mids and highs are awaiting to be installed though.

Ryan

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
|Tch0rT| : Phass NT 28TC 28mm.. Wow, I was going to pick these up from npdang but you beat me to them! Hehe I ended up picking the 25NFA. How are the phass NT?

David
I haven't installed them yet. I hooked them up for a few minutes to make sure they worked. Even though npdang said they were smooth they still sounded a little bright (not that it's a bad thing) but that's compared to my Oz Audio OZ-25 silk dome tweeters I had (before a local shop blew them when I had them installed). I'm afraid they'll be more detailed than the Peerless mids I have and they won't match right. heh I'll find out soon enough.

Ryan

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
|Tch0rT| - Good luck with those. Hey if they don't match, that's not necessary a bad thing either :) It's an excuse to buy more details mids!

Let us know how it sounds when you get them hooked up! By the way, how are you mounting them? Another thing stoping me from picking them up was that I don't think those screw holes would look good if it was mounted on the door panel.

LOL you read my mind xDeLiRiOuSx! Does anyone know how Peerless CSX 850518 6.5" mids stack up against other SQ drivers like the ones I see recomended on here a lot (i.e. Seas CA18RNX)?

I'm probably going to mount the Phass tweeters on a MDF board (rounded out to match the circumference of the tweeter's base) and use the screws with the hexagon shape (I forget what they are called, but I like them way better than philips or flat head). I'm going to mount them in the doors (I have no other good place in my car and I can't afford or make kick panels at this time). I think it'll look ok if I can pull it off that is...

Ryan

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
What I mean is, if you drill a huge hole on your door right now (and those ugly screw holes)... Then when you want to try something compact (like the beautiful/remarkable LPG 25NFA), then you would have to fiberglass over the old tweeter hole... You see what I'm getting at?

As for midbass. The seas CA18RNX is BY far the best midbass drivers I HAVE ever heard. I love it so much! I don't know about pearless (which I heard is pretty good as well)... But I'd just go with the CA18RNX, make sure you have 3.25" mounting depth.
I'm pretty much already screwed with the tweeters in the door panels... Not to long ago I took my car to a local shop to get my mids and highs installed (the Peerless mids and Oz Audio Oz-25 tweeters). That was a big mistake. The kid that installed my stuff blew my tweeters and the shop wouldn't do anything about it since I didn't buy the equipment from them and they tried to say the tweets blew since they are around 6 years old and I bought them off the internet. :roll: Needless to say I will NOT be using that shop again for any future installs, which is a shame since they are the ONLY shop in town that does custom installations. Back to the tweeters, I had them install the tweeters in the doors, so now I have blown tweets just sitting there in the door panel. Luckly the Phass are bigger so I just need to open up the holes a little more.

Not to talk total crap about the shop though since they do have a guy that's into high end audio (and I bet he'd like this forum). They should've had him install it instead of the kid that installs the junk the local bass heads buy. Since the install I've been finding dumb mistakes the installer did (other than blowing my tweeters), 1) he said my Peerless mids wouldn't fit with out having to fabricate a new door panel, which is B.S. since I've checked and they will fit with a mounting board (which I requested twice from them now and both times they failed to do something that simple), 2) they wired my door speakers out of phase (that's some what understandable if you've seen a Tube Driver TD475 even though the polarity of the screws are labeled), 3) they accidently grounded my Audiocontrol Four.1 with a mounting screw which introduced a horrible alternator whine, and 4) they used speaker wire so thin it's freaking pathetic (I'm not sure of the gauge but it's like string).

So sometimes it really is just better to DIY. :D

Thanks for the opinion on the Seas driver, those are looking more and more appealing when I get some more funds. Though I'll have to do some fabricating to get them to fit properly in my current car.

Ryan

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Ryan, what kind of car do you have? You'll be surprised when you have the mids in one hand and your door panel on the other. I DID NOT think mine would fit. It fit suprisingly well in the end. Seas drivers (CA18RNX) are pretty cheap so give them a shot, you'll be happy with the results!
I have a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX. My Peerless mids have about 3" mounting depth and they barely fit so the Seas might be a tad too big.

Ryan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.