DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 95 Posts

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
Nice review! Looks like that doorpanel is really covering a good chunk of your mid though... does the surround ever contact the door either at high excursion?

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
npdang, Yeah, stupid door cover covers the mids :/ But the good news is that there's a bit more than 1/2 inch for the surrounds to move.

Tirefryr, The mouting depths were 3.1" and I can still roll my windows all the way down. (the trick is, install the mids while the windows are down so you can see where it will touch the window).

David

PS. I will have a complete review in a few weeks :)

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
|Tch0rT| - Good luck with those. Hey if they don't match, that's not necessary a bad thing either :) It's an excuse to buy more details mids!

Let us know how it sounds when you get them hooked up! By the way, how are you mounting them? Another thing stoping me from picking them up was that I don't think those screw holes would look good if it was mounted on the door panel.

LOL you read my mind xDeLiRiOuSx! Does anyone know how Peerless CSX 850518 6.5" mids stack up against other SQ drivers like the ones I see recomended on here a lot (i.e. Seas CA18RNX)?

I'm probably going to mount the Phass tweeters on a MDF board (rounded out to match the circumference of the tweeter's base) and use the screws with the hexagon shape (I forget what they are called, but I like them way better than philips or flat head). I'm going to mount them in the doors (I have no other good place in my car and I can't afford or make kick panels at this time). I think it'll look ok if I can pull it off that is...

Ryan

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Ryan, that tweeter would look very big if you mount it on top of the doors. MAYBE you may want to build super small kicks. It'll cost no more than $50. The advantage is that it will look cleaner. Also if you decide to try other tweeters in the future you can.

What I mean is, if you drill a huge hole on your door right now (and those ugly screw holes)... Then when you want to try something compact (like the beautiful/remarkable LPG 25NFA), then you would have to fiberglass over the old tweeter hole... You see what I'm getting at?

Also, I saw a friend get his tweeter kicks done. Man they look really really nice. It adds a bit of style to his car. He had in a 94 carmy XLE, and it sounded sweet. Also it was big enough so that in the future he could swap out other large tweeters (ie the 2" large dome ones).

As for midbass. The seas CA18RNX is BY far the best midbass drivers I HAVE ever heard. I love it so much! I don't know about pearless (which I heard is pretty good as well)... But I'd just go with the CA18RNX, make sure you have 3.25" mounting depth.

David

· Registered
733 Posts
I am currently running Seas Excel 4.5" mids and Hiquphon OW2s in my kicks with a Seas L18 in each door. npdang recommended all of the Seas drivers to me and some ribbons. I was too chicken to try the ribbons this time but sooner or later I will purchase some.

I have to experiment more with the kicks but clarity of sound is ulike anything I have heard in a car before. But I live in NH and there are not many audiophiles out here. I would highly recommend any of the Excel drivers.

Hey 10K2HVN, how do you like those Seas 7" drivers you are using?

· Registered
440 Posts
tf1216 said:
I am currently running Seas Excel 4.5" mids and Hiquphon OW2s in my kicks with a Seas L18 in each door. npdang recommended all of the Seas drivers to me and some ribbons. I was too chicken to try the ribbons this time but sooner or later I will purchase some.

I have to experiment more with the kicks but clarity of sound is ulike anything I have heard in a car before. But I live in NH and there are not many audiophiles out here. I would highly recommend any of the Excel drivers.

my ribbons are sitting on the floor unmounted. theyve been in and out of my car at least 10 times, in and out of my friends car at least 5 times, and in and out of my house about 15 times! sometimes when i forget to brace the ribbon with my foot, and take a turn, they roll across my floor! i havent dropped my ribbons yet, but im sure they can take at least a 3ft drop fine!

i like my L18's a lot! theyre freaken awesome! great midbass, awesome lowend extension, great midrange (when xovered low, mines at 1.1khz 12db/oct, ribbons at 2.2khz 24db/oct) and great output!

honestly, if my car was wired up a little more prettier, and my amps were mounted, id take home first place at the SLAP show this weekend.

· Registered
1,527 Posts
tf1216 said:

Hey do you have pics of that setup? I plan on using the Excel 4.5" mids as well. How do you like them?

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
What I mean is, if you drill a huge hole on your door right now (and those ugly screw holes)... Then when you want to try something compact (like the beautiful/remarkable LPG 25NFA), then you would have to fiberglass over the old tweeter hole... You see what I'm getting at?

As for midbass. The seas CA18RNX is BY far the best midbass drivers I HAVE ever heard. I love it so much! I don't know about pearless (which I heard is pretty good as well)... But I'd just go with the CA18RNX, make sure you have 3.25" mounting depth.
I'm pretty much already screwed with the tweeters in the door panels... Not to long ago I took my car to a local shop to get my mids and highs installed (the Peerless mids and Oz Audio Oz-25 tweeters). That was a big mistake. The kid that installed my stuff blew my tweeters and the shop wouldn't do anything about it since I didn't buy the equipment from them and they tried to say the tweets blew since they are around 6 years old and I bought them off the internet. :roll: Needless to say I will NOT be using that shop again for any future installs, which is a shame since they are the ONLY shop in town that does custom installations. Back to the tweeters, I had them install the tweeters in the doors, so now I have blown tweets just sitting there in the door panel. Luckly the Phass are bigger so I just need to open up the holes a little more.

Not to talk total crap about the shop though since they do have a guy that's into high end audio (and I bet he'd like this forum). They should've had him install it instead of the kid that installs the junk the local bass heads buy. Since the install I've been finding dumb mistakes the installer did (other than blowing my tweeters), 1) he said my Peerless mids wouldn't fit with out having to fabricate a new door panel, which is B.S. since I've checked and they will fit with a mounting board (which I requested twice from them now and both times they failed to do something that simple), 2) they wired my door speakers out of phase (that's some what understandable if you've seen a Tube Driver TD475 even though the polarity of the screws are labeled), 3) they accidently grounded my Audiocontrol Four.1 with a mounting screw which introduced a horrible alternator whine, and 4) they used speaker wire so thin it's freaking pathetic (I'm not sure of the gauge but it's like string).

So sometimes it really is just better to DIY. :D

Thanks for the opinion on the Seas driver, those are looking more and more appealing when I get some more funds. Though I'll have to do some fabricating to get them to fit properly in my current car.

Ryan

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Ryan, what kind of car do you have? You'll be surprised when you have the mids in one hand and your door panel on the other. I DID NOT think mine would fit. It fit suprisingly well in the end. Seas drivers (CA18RNX) are pretty cheap so give them a shot, you'll be happy with the results!

David

· Registered
537 Posts
10K2HVN said:
my ribbons are sitting on the floor unmounted. theyve been in and out of my car at least 10 times, in and out of my friends car at least 5 times, and in and out of my house about 15 times! sometimes when i forget to brace the ribbon with my foot, and take a turn, they roll across my floor! i havent dropped my ribbons yet, but im sure they can take at least a 3ft drop fine!

i like my L18's a lot! theyre freaken awesome! great midbass, awesome lowend extension, great midrange (when xovered low, mines at 1.1khz 12db/oct, ribbons at 2.2khz 24db/oct) and great output!

honestly, if my car was wired up a little more prettier, and my amps were mounted, id take home first place at the SLAP show this weekend.
I heard Vinh's car today (chance meetings are cool) and even with the ribbons just laying on the floor it sounded great. The mids played much lower than I would have expected.

So much for my first post. Now to email npdang about a pair of LPGs. . .

TomT

· Registered
818 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Ryan, what kind of car do you have? You'll be surprised when you have the mids in one hand and your door panel on the other. I DID NOT think mine would fit. It fit suprisingly well in the end. Seas drivers (CA18RNX) are pretty cheap so give them a shot, you'll be happy with the results!
I have a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX. My Peerless mids have about 3" mounting depth and they barely fit so the Seas might be a tad too big.

Ryan

· Registered
733 Posts
10K2HVN - Sorry, I didn't realize that when I asked you about your 7" speakers, the H1224, they are the sasme as the L18s! You said you had them crossed around 1kHz? What happened to the mid? Just running 2-way now? Going to upgrade to the Lotus or Excel?

cam2xrunner - I am sorry but I do not have pictures because I am slightly embarrassed about the install. The kicks are angled awkwardly and I have extremely ugly grill covers. The kicks will be re-done soon if you still have interest in seeing the install I would be happy to take pictures for you.

I love the 4.5" Excels and if I had it to do all over again I would probably get the 5" W15CH001 just because npdang said they were slightly better. He could tell me to jump off a bridge and I would probably do that too : ) I am running the P9 and I find its sound much different than the Eclipse I use to own. IMO the P9 accentuates my music and seems less laid back than the Eclipse. I think the Seas handle it beautifully! Sorry for the long post everyone!

· Registered
440 Posts
yeah, im only running a 2-way right now. Im actually in the middle of fiberglassing kicks right now so i should have my mids in pretty soon.

theres no need use a mid (Lotus/Excel) that slightly better in midrange when im going to be using them for dedicated midbasses. Plus, only running them to 1.1khz, the midrange sounds awesome!

Btw, the L18/CA18RNX should be only 3.1" of mounting depth

Its nice to see you here, TomT!!

· Registered
412 Posts
My DIY setup

Hey guys...just throwin in my 2 cents with my DIY setup.

I run 2 LPG 26NA's (alum)...off an xtant 202m (25 X 2 @ 8 ohms),
along with Dayton RS180's off an xtant a4004 (100 x 2 @ 8 ohm bridged).

Compared to most other stereos, the setup is very detailed. I do think too that the dayton plays up high just fine (2k to 3.2k)...but, i haven't been able to tame the midrange peaks i get...at 800hz and 1.6 or somwhere around there. My 5 band alpine can't get em that great...or i just suck at tuning. So due to forward and peaky midrange (very noticable on certain piano notes up high...ring so badly..eeeek), i'll probably be replacing the mids...throw them in a home theater project or something.

The 26NA's however are very nice and detailed with excellent top end extension. A tad siblance in the 8k or 10k region...but a 2 notch drop in EQ tammed it no problem. Quite impressed with the sound, although i'd love to compare them to the 25NFA's one day.
(if anyone wants to switch, i'd trade for a bit :) )

Now i'm gonna try the XXX mids. I can't wait to here the midbass and insane output. I love it loud, so i guess they're for me....i'll let you guys know what i think of em when i get them in.
Just gotta find a nice 2 channel amp now to run em. Can't use the 4 channel bridged on the 2 ohms.
Ok, well hopefully someone found this interesting.

PS. Do we all go to Npdang for setup recommendations? he's too much of a veteran i guess with all the driver experience he has.

Peace from Canada

· Registered
4,398 Posts
I ran the XXX mids and they are indeed spectacular in my singular opinion

midrange is supreme

unless you have a small door, id go sealed if you want the most effective midbass

in my ridiculously large IB door the XXX midbass was good, not great.

Id bet sealed theyd be awesome

I was not seeing 13mm xmax Ill tell you that

god luck

21 - 40 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.