DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
i ran the Vifa PL18 midbass along with a NorthCreek D25 tweeter, still yet to unleash the full potential of this combination...

currently i cross the NorthCreek highpass at 2.4k, while the Vifa from 2.4k down to 71hz...this setting ideal? still yet to experience different crossover setting to c which one is the nicest of all... :p

· Seen Rock City
836 Posts
David,

By looking at the lock mechanism in your car... is it an Acura/Honda?

· Seen Rock City
836 Posts
Cool. Great ride.

It looks like I am going to be running the same front stage setup that you have.

Where do you have the SEAS mids crossed?

· Registered
1,905 Posts
creed said:
i ran the Vifa PL18 midbass along with a NorthCreek D25 tweeter, still yet to unleash the full potential of this combination...

currently i cross the NorthCreek highpass at 2.4k, while the Vifa from 2.4k down to 71hz...this setting ideal? still yet to experience different crossover setting to c which one is the nicest of all... :p

i run my PL's from 63-3.2k. 12 db/oct slopes on both ends. they sound OK. ive tried steeper slopes, but cant really tell a difference. my doors need some deadening. maybe that will help some. :?

· Registered
412 Posts
newtitan said:
I ran the XXX mids and they are indeed spectacular in my singular opinion

midrange is supreme

unless you have a small door, id go sealed if you want the most effective midbass

in my ridiculously large IB door the XXX midbass was good, not great.

Id bet sealed theyd be awesome

I was not seeing 13mm xmax Ill tell you that

god luck
Wouldn't you get more Xmax in an IB setup...its more like free air. Small sealed boxes will add more suspension and stiffness to the cone and restrict movement. I'm not sure Sealed would result in more midbass...can anyone pipe in on this?

As for fitting them in...i've made custom aimed DOOR pods that bolt into the door...my daytons fit right now, but i'll have to cut a hole out the back of them and also get out the grinder and notch out the door a bit more....at least now i'll be able to put any mid i ever desire in :).

Anyways...i'm thinkin of sellin the Alum LPG's and swapping in the Silks...was also gonna try them up high too to raise soundstage...lacking right now.

Ok. Later boys.

Mark

· Registered
4,398 Posts
the only way you would get more output on the low end with XXX is sealing them as they are designed to work ideal in 0.3 cu ft sealed and 0.5 cu ft ported

they are like mini subs almost

have you seen the motor on them its rather crazy:)

my truck doors are enormous and once I matted them to all heck, it was just too much air for a NON IB designed woofer to handle

the only IB environment id recommend would be sedan door so the woofer is not working with so much air

midrange is downright fantastic though to my ears

· Registered
1,162 Posts
Mini,
You're running those PL's pretty high. I wasn't to fond of them with anything over 2.4-2.6. I don't even want to think about what they sound like @ 3.2. This was in home though.

Have you tried them with a lower xover point?

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
MiloX said:
Cool. Great ride.

It looks like I am going to be running the same front stage setup that you have.

Where do you have the SEAS mids crossed?

Thanks! I love my ride. and you will LOVE your front stage :)

I have yet to have time to tweak mysetup. But right after dropping them in, I found that 63hz to 2khz was pretty decent on the mids. And then 2khz and up for the tweeters. I may try to move the xover point up to 2.5khz but haven't had time to even try that!

David

· Registered
1,287 Posts
creed said:

how steep is your lowpass slope for the PL??

I would go a tad lower, otherwise u'll experience "popping" at high levels.

· Seen Rock City
836 Posts
xDx,

From the specs it appears that there is a 4 point gap in input sensitivity, how well matched are they out of the box, or did you attentuate the tweets at all?

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
Just to clear the air a bit, the driver's physical excursion is the limiting factor for bass output. It doesn't change whether it's put in a sealed box, or free-air. The only thing that changes is the impedance curve, and the sensitivity... so some frequencies may require more or less power to achieve a given output, but the maximum achievable output won't change.

· Registered
1,905 Posts
MIAaron said:
Mini,
You're running those PL's pretty high. I wasn't to fond of them with anything over 2.4-2.6. I don't even want to think about what they sound like @ 3.2. This was in home though.

Have you tried them with a lower xover point?

they sound better at around 2.2k. but i dont feel comfortable running my LPG's that low. from what ive read the LPG's shouldnt go lower than 3k. i really didnt like how they sounded with the gap between 2.2 and 3.2.

· Seen Rock City
836 Posts
minitruck_freq said:
from what ive read the LPG's shouldnt go lower than 3k.
Ya, I read cheapboy's review and got a bit nervous too. I am planning on using these in my install. Looking at the freq response plot alone, I would have a hard time believing that high passing them at 2.2-2.3k would do any damage to the speaker. I am guessing his recommendation about having a 3k hp cross is for maximum aural performance.

I am going to try 2.5k and see what happens.

· Registered
133 Posts
sqkev said:
creed said:

the slope is at 12db...now i tried at 2k down to 71hz bandpass while having the tweeter highpass at 2k. Is it necessary to match the highpass of tweeter as the lowpass of midwoofer? what i try to say is, if i highpass the tweeter at 3k, does the midwoofer need to be bandpass from 3khz and down? i've heard people leaving gap purposely to make it blend well, but i also keep trying to see whether i can hear the differences..anyone?

· DIYMA Founder
5,213 Posts
creed said:
sqkev said:
creed said:

the slope is at 12db...now i tried at 2k down to 71hz bandpass while having the tweeter highpass at 2k. Is it necessary to match the highpass of tweeter as the lowpass of midwoofer? what i try to say is, if i highpass the tweeter at 3k, does the midwoofer need to be bandpass from 3khz and down? i've heard people leaving gap purposely to make it blend well, but i also keep trying to see whether i can hear the differences..anyone?
To get the correct acoustic rolloffs, you would probably need to have different crossover points as well as electrical slopes. I'd say in a car 99% of the time if you're using the same slope/cutoff point then it's not going to give you a smooth driver to driver transition.

· Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Update:

Decided that 7.5 watts RMS for the tweeters were enough. I did install the larger amp, but it gave me too much noise at low volumes (tweeters are sensitive to noise).

Bought 30sqft of Raammat from Rick! Awesome stuff. Easy to work with and does a great job of stopping rattles. After installing the CA18RNX, I thought I could never shut those panels up.... but Raamat did the job. Even on my huge coupe doors! Here are the pictures:

Since I didn't show you guys before, here's the 1" baffle I made. Actually it's like 1.125" baffle since 1" didn't quite do it, I had to add a layer of Edead in between :)

Still haven't really tweaked the system yet. But my favorite part is that it still somewhat looks like a stock setup:

I'll hope I can have time to EQ this later!

David

· Registered
2,595 Posts
That looks awesome, it really does, looks very stock. How many layers did you use on your door, and what did you close up the access panels with?

Again looks very good, Still considering the CA18RNX myself, and leaning heavily that way.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.