DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 21 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
This is exactly it. Most of us exist on a level where most normal consumers don't. The common market simply isn't geared towards us, thus the original intent of this forum. Unfortunately, over the years many of the high value driver companies that had gems have exited the raw market. Now it's getting to the point that you almost have to pony up to attain that level albeit there's still some items popping up here and there.

On a related note, I received the new DATS V3 recently and decided to measure a few drivers I've shelved over the years. One in particular was the Seas CD18RE-MDS that became a minor forum boner due to being a rare buyout item with specs not normally found with Seas. Going from the top of my head (might be off slightly on a few), I measured Fs of 85hz, Qms 5-ish, Qts, 7-8 or so, and a few others I can't recall at the moment. There's a very slight midband wriggle in the impedance plot near 600hz, but overall should make an excellent budget midbass in a 3-way. IIRC, these were not the specs given in the original thread or by the person I bought them from (obvious source was Madisound). In short I come to say that when looking for viable inexpensive alternatives, measuring tools such as the DATS becomes the truth serum as you can't really trust manufacture specs as often as you'd like.

The original WT2(3) aided me in finding some very useful but deemed unorthodox drivers because of specs that turned out to be erroneous. Most aren't going to invest in such a tool although it's rather inexpensive. However, it's value is very high when you like experimenting with uncommon drivers especially coming from manufacturers that may not be truthful with parameters.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

21 - 21 of 21 Posts