DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Agree with the others, refund the customer, file the claim, hope for the best.

I worked for FedEx in college. Every package gets thrown in a sorting facility as it comes off or on a plane. There's literally a bunch people who throw them onto a conveyor belt, and then team throwing them from one person to the other to sort. Ground doesn't do things quite the same way.... It's actually worse.

It's what they make insurance for, and a cost of doing business. Trust me, that sub is peanuts compared to the most expensive stuff that has been destroyed in shipping.
I was just getting ready to say this. Have any of you seen what really happens at a sorting facility? I am really more surprised more things are not damaged. The shipping industry is all about speed which means they really dont care about package. You also have several layers of employees that are tossing boxes around just to get them on a truck to you. I have a guy that works with me that was part of ground shipping. Hes told me several times, he literally hates to send anything because he knows how stuff is treated. I can only imaging this will only get worse as everyone is competing against other shippers and amazon is steady squeezing. All this to say it still sucks to have stuff damaged and then have to play the insurance game with a company.

Noooooooo! Not the Mass 12!

Sorry man. FedEX delivery driver here throws the package onto my porch from like 10ft away. UPS driver gently places on porch.

Anecdotal and not worth much, but it makes me choose to support UPS over FedEX when I have a choice.

Hopefully they don't give you the run around on insurance.

I will also ask my cousin. He was a contractor for Fed Ex and owns a box truck. I know he has mentioned that he owns a route and its about number of deliveries etc. This is why the fed ex guys are running and tossing packages and the ups guys are taking their time and more care.

This sucks!
I think never did a claim with fedex, it happened one time with usps (insured for the entire value) and I get reimbursed pretty quickly, I just sent them copy of message from the seller complaining the item was damaged, probably not even a picture.

UPS guys are unionized, so they are both more laid back and care less. They know they're not gonna get fired no matter what. Some treat it as a get out of jail free card, some don't.

UPS and FedEx basically don't make a difference in care of packages.

FedEx ground is also a little different from regular FedEx as well. It's all quite strange.

Bottom line, expect your packages to be thrown, dropped, run over, and possibly exploded. That's how you should pack stuff if it's valuable.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
UPS guys are unionized, so they are both more laid back and care less. They know they're not gonna get fired no matter what. Some treat it as a get out of jail free card, some don't.

UPS and FedEx basically don't make a difference in care of packages.

FedEx ground is also a little different from regular FedEx as well. It's all quite strange.

Bottom line, expect your packages to be thrown, dropped, run over, and possibly exploded. That's how you should pack stuff if it's valuable.
The sad thing is, that's exactly how I packaged it. Expecting it to be man handled. I guess they found an ape to do what a man could not...

Ge0

Hers the reality and why Geo is going to not be reimbursed from fed-ex. Its pretty black and white, and he did not do it.

2. Pack safely
Double-box fragile items within a larger box and include 3” of cushioning in and around the interior box. See our infographic for the best way to double-box.

Ouch! That's a painful picture to look at.
Unfortunately, double boxing with some sort of foam or large/heavy duty bubble wrap cushion in between has become a must these days.
Helpful tip; dollar store pool noodles work really well.

Reactions: seafish
This is a sticky situation :( I would be afraid to ship subwoofers [emoji3064][emoji3064]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

When I shipped my SA65CS's to ANS he reported damage that wasn't present before shipping when they arrived, then when they got back the was damage he did not mention, meaning they got damaged on both trips.

Discussion starter · #33 ·
Hers the reality and why Geo is going to not be reimbursed from fed-ex. Its pretty black and white, and he did not do it.

2. Pack safely
Double-box fragile items within a larger box and include 3” of cushioning in and around the interior box. See our infographic for the best way to double-box.
I'm going to offer you a challenge. Go out and buy a brand new JL Audio 12W7 which has similar physical characteristics to the Audiomobile sub. Pull it out of its manufactures supplied packaging then discard the packaging. Now, wrap the sub in 3 inches of bubble wrap. Put it in a box and seal it up. Next, point the box downward so the cone edge would hit the floor first. Let that fugger drop onto a concrete floor from 4ft high. Do you trust the sub would come out undamaged?

If the sub comes away undamaged I will give you $100. If not I get nothing but satisfaction.

Ask yourself. Say you mail ordered the 12W7. What type of packaging would you realistically expect beyond the manufactures original package? The last few subs I received new in the mail had a heavy duty box slipped tight over the manufactures original. Oh, and by the way, FedEx delivered them both. They didn't come in fuggin crushed.

Ge0

I'm going to offer you a challenge. Go out and buy a brand new JL Audio 12W7 which has similar physical characteristics to the Audiomobile sub. Pull it out of its manufactures supplied packaging then discard the packaging. Now, wrap the sub in 3 inches of bubble wrap. Put it in a box and seal it up. Next, point the box downward so the cone edge would hit the floor first. Let that fugger drop onto a concrete floor from 4ft high. Do you trust the sub would come out undamaged?

If the sub comes away undamaged I will give you $100. If not I get nothing but satisfaction.

Ask yourself. Say you mail ordered the 12W7. What type of packaging would you realistically expect beyond the manufactures original package? The last few subs I received new in the mail had a heavy duty box slipped tight over the manufactures original. Oh, and by the way, FedEx delivered them both. They didn't come in fuggin crushed.

Ge0
I am not sure what your response had to do with my post? I said you are going to lose your claim with fed ex because you did not pack to fed-ex standards and the box sub was damaged. I will also mention that in my personal opinion you didn't package the sub all that great. there was no side protection at all. it appears the sides of the sub were practically touch the single layer of card board you shipped it in.

But to respond to your question about original packaging. The oem boxes subs come in have form fitting styrofoam or expanding foam to hold then in place and are always double boxed. I will grant you some do just put one box inside another with not cushion as fedex asks for. But the subs are protected inside the first box better than most of us could come up with on our own.

I'm sorry this happened, and it does suck for you. i am not trying to bash you or even your shipping skills. Its not easy shipping heavy subs without the original box.

Now, wrap the sub in 3 inches of bubble wrap. Put it in a box and seal it up. Next, point the box downward so the cone edge would hit the floor first. Let that fugger drop onto a concrete floor from 4ft high. Do you trust the sub would come out undamaged?
Ge0
The problem, looking at the picture, is that the sides were not protected, the back was, I guess the front was, but we can see the sides are right on the edge of the box. 3" of styrofoam would have been a must here, knowing the weight of this thing.

Discussion starter · #37 ·
Had to file a claim with Fed-Ex once. They took the package back to decide if they thought it was their fault. To no surprise, they decided it wasn't. Realistically I had no recourse. Pay a lawyer $1000 and go to court over $500? Maybe file a BBB claim?
Ughh. I fear this is where this sh!t is going to go. It is obvious Fedex crushed a package. But why should they pay for damages? You are right. I don't want to spend $1000 to hire a lawyer to recover a few hundred $. But, what if I hired one of those sleaze bag dudes on TV that does not not collect a commission unless they win a class action law suit? The money is not as much of an issue to me as the accountability. Admit your gorillas messed up and just pay for minimal damage amount.

Ge0

Geo, while it definitely sucks that your subwoofer was destroyed by the heavy handling of a heavy package, you are making the settlement with FedEX out to be more then it is...

The insurance claim will be honored or not honored based pretty much on the proof, or absence of proof, of having followed their packaging guidelines and requirements for your package.

In short, if you packed the subwoofer more or less per their instructions and if you have proof of that (actual boxes or pics ) then they will pay you the amount that you insured the subwoofer for.
In fact, with such proof, you should ask for, and they should also refund, the actual shipping charges that you paid, of course NOT including the cost of the insurance premium

On the other hand, without proof of proper packaging, or if it appears that you didnt pack it per their guidelines, then they have no actual responsibility to honor the insurance payout no matter what you "threaten" them with.

If you haven't done so already, be sure to ask the buyer/recipient to take photos of the package that show the damage to the box and also the damage to the sub, and also if possible to reconstruct how it was packed and how it arrived...these pics will insure that your insurance claim is honored as expediently as possible.

just my .02

If that is the box the woofer is shipped in with the woofer touching the side wall. The woofer was not packed properly. There would be no protection for the woofer basket from outside impact to the box. Have any of you ever seen packages off loaded from the vehicle onto the conveyer belt then loaded into an AMJ? Or the the reverse of that order? Anything that is susceptible to impact damage via dropping, conveyer belt backup or stacked inside an AMJ need to be packed properly. Properly means adequate cushioning, at least 3" of padding around the item 100%. Then double boxed if necessary.

One other thing. The packages are handled by humans, some of us are very careless! So it does not matter which company, packages will get damaged. Whether by the shipper failing to pack properly or the handling of the shipping company employees.

As being the buyer of said subwoofer, I can honestly say I've never had any issues with any shipments I have received internationally and in the states. I was at work when this sub was delivered it was left on my front covered porch. The box was certainly a solid or sturdy box. I wasn't for a second thinking the sub would be damaged. Heck with the long day I had at work, was not even going to open it till the next day. I just had to see that amazing sub so I opened it right before bed and was well shocked and sick at the same time.

I have never shipped a subwoofer and now that I've read this thread,..know the proper say of packing one. I can say, I would of done the same pack job Ge0 did if I was the seller.

So here we are I'm out a speaker I cannot find another like it from a company not making it, out as of now the 198 paid for speaker and shipping and I ordered a box for this sub right before he shipped it. I'll be able to reuse the box not worried there. Ge0 has been super great along the way, and I'm being patient. He said either Fed-Ex will be sending me a check or he will refund me via paypal. I do feel bad for all involved as its f'ed up a gorilla smashed this sub at fed ex

If anyone has this sub I am desperately looking for one

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.