DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cookware and bakeware Gas Auto part Wood Font

I saw this on some JL Facebook page. Dude is trying to trade for 15’s. Might this “modification” actually cause the low end to suffer like a dome midrange doesn’t go as low as a cone? Or do domes behave like that for different reasons besides the surface geometry? If this dome is just glued to the cone the sensitivity has to suffer…

·
Registered
167 Posts
Adding mass to the cone will lower the FS, so if it is just a dome glued to the normal cone, it's definetly got more moving mass and will act different in various ways depending on just how much heavier it is.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,019 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adding mass to the cone will lower the FS, so if it is just a dome glued to the normal cone, it's definetly got more moving mass and will act different in various ways depending on just how much heavier it is.
All these guys are drooling over it and trying to buy it. How are you gonna model something silly like that? I’m thinking those guys don’t model drivers 🙄

·
Registered
167 Posts
All these guys are drooling over it and trying to buy it. How are you gonna model something silly like that? I’m thinking those guys don’t model drivers 🙄
WinISD can model additional cone mass last time I checked. Of course you do need to know just how much the extra glue weighs in addition to the extra dome... There's a bit of science to making that modification and not making it worse for a given enclosure.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Something tells me that guy isn't interested in modeling subs..

Reactions: 420tabbycat

·
Registered
232 Posts
We call it the super mega bass deluxe that huge cone delivers the thump in your trunk that you always wanted.

Reactions: Bchester6

·
Registered
167 Posts
We call it the super mega bass deluxe that huge cone delivers the thump in your trunk that you always wanted.
You'll want it to hit the back of your seat at full excursion to help the suspension from getting blown out during those serious bass farts.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts