DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mids I mean usually not that hard to find a grille for one. However clearly grilles are not made for home audio large-format tweeters. When you install them in your car how do you protect them? I can just imagine the girlfriend's snow boots going right into a silk dome.

Tempe

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
I bought some perforated steel and cut out two identical pieces of 3/4" MDF the slightly under the size of the grills I needed. Next, cut the steel around 1/4" bigger all around than the size of the MDF pieces. Place one piece of the MDF properly centered of course on each side the the perf metal(aluminum can work but not as strong obviously) Then clamp them down all around and work your way around hammering the exposed 1/4" section( I have done some at 3/8" but it is harder to get it right), moving the clamps to new places when required, and finally hammering it all down at 90 degrees.

Then remove the clamps and by hand, hammer, etc, flatten out any areas needing it.

On those particular ones the dome of the tweeter was quite tall so I used a cirulat cutout and and laid the grill on it in the right area and used a small ball peen hammer to form a bump that was in the shape of the dome of the tweeter.

Next I used a dremmel and rounded then polished every single hole in the metal so it would have no chance to cause defraction of the drivers output wave form.

Then, a nice degreasing, priming and painting, they are still in use 100k miles later and going strong:)

Why did I go through so much trouble to do this?? Because at a comp without grills I specifically mentioned to the past IASCA president judge to be carefull of the speakers in the kicks ($7k Rainbow References) and the first thing he did was touch a tweeter dome with his foot!!!!!!!

I needed strong and accousticall transparent grills asap so I built them:)

Anyway, it really was not all that challenging and not very time consuming compared to other things I have done, probably spent 4-5 hours on them at the most.

Rick

scroll down and see the kick panels

·
Registered
316 Posts
Wow Rick. Those are amazing!!

Definitely copy-pasting-saving what you just said. That'll definitely come in handy one day.

·
Premium Member
827 Posts
Thanks! We are working really hard on our current project and have some superb backers, the plan is to surpass the sound of the Tacoma, not an easy task, will have alot of custom/prototype/newly released/etc parts but the proof will be in if we like it better than the Tacoma when it was finally tuned properly:)

Glad I could help, they really were alot of fun to make!!

Rick

·
Registered
578 Posts
Rick... you have a close up of those kicks? And where did you get the perforated metal? I have found some in Home Depot, but I did not like the perforated pattern...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rick I love your install. I have a 98 Ranger. Is it auto or 5 speed? My problem with my 5 speed is two-fold: 1) Use of the clutch means my left foot is always where the kick would be & 2) Parking brake may be in the way of the pathway of the speakers to my ears. Can you suggest anything to me? I'd really love to install some kicks.

Tempe

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Rick thats a nice page there, i've never read anything of your installs and such, and thats the first time i've seen some of it, i really like your work, can't wait to see the tC.

·
Registered
578 Posts
AzGrower said:
go to this website and do a search for perforated metals
http://www.mcmaster.com/
I found some stuff I'd like to use... but was $100 for a 40x36 in sheet... much more than I'd care to spend to make my own grills, now if I was making several sets or still had my shop I wouldn't mind the investment ...

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
racerraul said:
I found some stuff I'd like to use... but was $100 for a 40x36 in sheet... much more than I'd care to spend to make my own grills, now if I was making several sets or still had my shop I wouldn't mind the investment ...

I'm almost certain they let you select the size you need...I bought from them a few months back the prices were very good and the quality was top notch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts