DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

What do your batteries rest @?? 12.3 to low??

7K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  PTAudi 
#1 ·
Im thinking I may have a weak battery but I dont know if its comparable or not. I should problaby mention that its about 0 degrees here. I dont know if that makes a difference.

Anyways, Ive been having trouble with voltage drop between my 3 batteries. And was thinking my 18month old Optima blue top under the hood may be the root??

My blue top rests @ 12.31 after sitting for 12 hours, and my rear batteries (NSB90's) rest @ 12.4

Concern?

#2 ·
I don't feel that is a concern at all. That's nominal! Now if you try to apply a load, does the voltage plummet or hold? That's what I feel makes a difference. Resting voltage is just potential.

#3 ·
Ya I figured it was in the acceptable range. With a load you mean with say headlights on with the car still off??

I just cant figure out why Im getting voltage drop into the 12's with only about 3k rms on these 3 nice batteries and 2 alternators (100 and 200amp)

#5 ·
My voltage rests at 11.9-12.1, and has since I know of (when I installed the voltage meter). I run two alternators that put out 300 amps at idle, and the battery load tests fine. If you arent having any problems I wouldnt be too concerned.

Is it resting at 12.3 without a load? I mean lights, the stereo, etc
Do you have any voltage drops when the car is running and your drawing a lot of current?

#6 ·
Considering that 12.6 is the best you can expect out of a battery with the engine off 12.3 isnot bad at all. Remember that batteries are made up of six cells in series with each cell at 2.1 volts nominal. Now if you're getting that voltage with the engine running then you have a problem since your alternators should be running at 14.4 volts.

#9 ·
There's nothing wrong with anything 12 Volts or better. You're probably fine down to about 11.8.

My AutoZone gold-top lead acid sits at 12.8 volts (it might be called a Duralast?)

I had a WalMart battery tested at the Zone at like 12.4 volts, and they were trying to sell me on a new one of course. They said it should hold 12.6 at least, which I knew was a bit of fluff, so I brought in my AutoZone battery, which was a year old and sat at 12.5 volts. They wouldn't eat their words, so they replaced it for free. You might try asking the place you got your battery the minimum voltage it should hold... ;)

But realistically, you're fine.

#11 ·
For some reason after changing from 8g to 4g wire to my cap, it went from reading around 12+v to 14+v. Should i be alarmed or is the wiring just more efficient?

06 f150 if it matters.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.