DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep reading the term “active” here, and people talking about going active when talking about crossovers. I know an active crossover to just be one that requires power and goes inline between the head unit and an amp, and was usually used when someone ran more than one amp, or the amp didn’t have its own crossover built in. That’s all based on old school equipment. Is there more to it than that nowadays?

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
Basically no.

But these days it implies a DSP whereas in the olden days, it was just the crossover.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks. I was kinda thinking it implied DSP based on how they talked about it. Seemed like there were a lot of sound adjustments being discussed.

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Ok, thanks. I was kinda thinking it implied DSP based on how they talked about it. Seemed like there were a lot of sound adjustments being discussed.
It implies active crossovers. it just happens that one of. the ways to get active crossovers into your system is by using a DSP. But the going active part is just refering to active crossovers. Tuning then gets more into the abilities of the DSP. But you don't need a DSP to go active.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Short story. Going active means removing passive crossovers and relying on electronic, or active, crossovers. The electronic crossover can be built into a head unit, amp, or be supplied by a dedicated DSP.

Active crossovers help minimize power loss that occurs with passive crossovers. But, gives you greater flexibility in tuning your system.

Ge0

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Active crossovers help minimize power loss that occurs with passive crossovers. But, gives you greater flexibility in tuning your system.

Ge0
This power loss, is that due to the inductors and capacitors in the passive crossovers dropping part of the voltage? I’m guessing the signal being filtered in the preamp stage is how you prevent power loss. No passive crossovers on the output side to absorb any of it, and the speakers get it all.

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
This power loss, is that due to the inductors and capacitors in the passive crossovers dropping part of the voltage? I’m guessing the signal being filtered in the preamp stage is how you prevent power loss. No passive crossovers on the output side to absorb any of it, and the speakers get it all.
The power loss, although real, isn't a big deal, but yes a passive crossover will add resistance, and drop the power a tad. When you alter the signal digitally, the speaker will get everything that is sent to it (with the exception of the negligible loss caused by the speaker wire).

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Correct. A passive crossover is made from inductors, resistors, and capacitors. Some power is lost through heating of the elements inside the crossover. If you eliminate the crossover all available power from the amp is delivered to the speaker. Well, a small amount is dropped through the speaker cable itself but that is usually very low.

Ge0

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 Rss265-44HO Rockford DSR-1 Fountek FR88 RS180-4
61 Posts
“Going active” with the addition of even modest signal processing found in some head units like time alignment really opens the door to things like staging, up front sub bass, smoother midbass response and the ability to swap individual speakers as you grow in the hobby. I bought the Rockford Fosgate DSR-1 processor early this spring and ever since, I have become obsessed with tuning and researching raw drivers.

·
Premium Member
4,981 Posts
And a clipped signal from woofers doesn't not result in tweeter getting a lot of semblance.
So running low power tweeter amps or other bi-amping give gains , even with no other DSP stuff happening.

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 Rss265-44HO Rockford DSR-1 Fountek FR88 RS180-4
61 Posts
I wonder sometimes when people give bad reviews on tweeters. I wonder if It’s the semblance inherent in a lot of metal domes, or as holmz suggested, maybe a clipped signal or “square wave“ is hurting the information going to both mid and tweet. Also cancellation due to install location. If you’re not aware of cancellations, it’s when the waves meet at certain frequencies and cancel each other out, sometimes leaving the “harsh” frequencies louder than the rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts