DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor yesterday after work .
it all started out with him asking me how loud I thought my system was I told him at least 130- 135 with my current config ( 2 HCCA 250's & a set of OS HCCA 10's sealed .75 f3 each in my work truck then he begins telling me that the system in his 1996 mustang GT (which consist of 2 RF power 1500bd'S running a set of Kicker L7 12's) and that he is making 168 DB's with of course stock electrical and a pre fabbed store bought sealed box and no sound deadening. 4 ga wire 1.5 farad cap
I through up the BS flag told him he would be "lucky" to be in the low to mid 40's and he got pissy about it. so I told him for the simple sakes of keeping our friendship intact I would ask a couple of forum users.
so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
how much power does it take to produce those #'s (168 ) and what does or would it consist of ?
and is my guess fairly accurate?

·
Registered
957 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor yesterday after work .
it all started out with him asking me how loud I thought my system was I told him at least 130- 135 with my current config ( 2 HCCA 250's & a set of OS HCCA 10's sealed .75 f3 each in my work truck then he begins telling me that the system in his 1996 mustang GT (which consist of 2 RF power 1500bd'S running a set of Kicker L7 12's) and that he is making 168 DB's with of course stock electrical and a pre fabbed store bought sealed box and no sound deadening. 4 ga wire 1.5 farad cap
I through up the BS flag told him he would be "lucky" to be in the low to mid 40's and he got pissy about it. so I told him for the simple sakes of keeping our friendship intact I would ask a couple of forum users.
so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
how much power does it take to produce those #'s (168 ) and what does or would it consist of ?
and is my guess fairly accurate?

Depends on alot of things, but not many cars in the world are doing a 168 and very few of them are driveable. None of them have stock electrical, most are using 20k watts or more. Very few use sealed enclosures if any, and the few that do are probably using a clamshell wall type of thing with like 24 15's or something stupid. As for what his car could hit, sealed I doubt 2 12's was even reaching mid 140's. Probably low 140's or mid to high 130's. Not sure about how easy it is to get a mustang loud.

·
Registered
39 Posts
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/spl-science/73509-8-woofer-tuned-37-hz-video.html

Guy did 143 @ 37hz with (1) 8". So I suppose anything is possible... however............

The system cracked the glass right before the video -- the guys didn't think about the glass cracking so they didn't have the camera rolling for the original crack (would have been cool). But they did think it would be fun to at least video finishing it off. The burst that cracked the windshield was 158.6 dB @ 50 Hz... may have been more in reality but the pressure release from the glass cracking may have prevented the TL from registering.
The Sundown boys are busting glass at 158.6dB

Stock electrical and prefabs? You be the judge :D

·
Registered
47 Posts
you know the answer... theres tons of people who dont really know wtf those numbers really mean and prey on the the people who dont know as well. have him sit in a true 150 on music and watch him squirm then ask him what he thinks that car hits.

·
Registered
784 Posts
A 168db looks something like this.

Ok well lets start with the GT Autosounds Extreme Civic which held the extreme record here in australia for many years, its score is still one of the loudest in the world for a Non bandpass extreme car

With an 18volt starting votlage dropping to 9 volts the car once did a 168 in testing on some old golf cart batteries, a very respectable score for the equipment used

Attachments

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a buddy that has that similar set up that is enjoying 142db as long as i read that there is 1 1500 watt amps and 2 l7 kicker in a ported enclosure. He is not an spl guy, just like the some boom in his trunk.

Most people don't understand how hard it is to gain just 3db in a car, double power, double drivers or both and you only gain a little bit on the Exponential scale of DB's

·
Registered
420 Posts
There was a truck at CES Las Vegas in 2008 that had only two 15" that hit 165+dbs official. But it ran a ton of power and I think the whole vehicle was tuned to like 70hz somehow. Every 5 min the truck would let out a 3 second pulse of sound and the entire car audio section of the building would pulse.

After walking towards the sound for several minutes I walked up and talked to the dude standing beside it asking if it was really a 165+db offical. He said why don't you stand in the open door way on the next burst. So I did, the pulse was so intense that my testicles swapped places. To this day my right boy is on the left and my left boy is on the right. Insane amount of sound coming from 2 speakers man insane. Ask my boys. :laugh:

But yea, lots of power and a minimal install tuned just right CAN get freggin nutty loud. But your friend next door was probably using an app on his iphone or something to get his SPL reading or is just a complete douche.

·
Registered
86 Posts
i actually sat in the alma gates bronco after it came back from winning iasca. 50,000 watts and 50 ppi pro 10" subs. i think it won with a score of 169.7. it was a long time ago so the #'s are a little fuzzy. hope that helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Everyone is doing 170 dbs............until they go to a comp & actually get measured lol. I use to love when kids would pull in with (4) cheap 12's and a Kraco amp in their car telling everyone how loud their system was. Then when they registered a 100db & the next lowest score was a 138 they'd cry their eyes out saying the mic was off...yada yada yada. The best I ever did was 153.1 with 3500 watts going to a DD9515 in a 6 cubic foot ported box in the back of my Blazer.

Your buddy is NOWHERE near 168dbs..........PERIOD.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I know now why he thinks that,,,,,,,, 2 Orion HCCA's @ 50 WPC = 200 watts (actually both are running at 1 Ohm bridged = somewhere around 1600w total depending on voltage )
so he figures he has 5 times the power LOL
no matter what I tell him he just don't get the big picture and around here there is no SPL contest local
so I gave in and told him it sounds more like 175db's to me then I LMAO

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have two Mmats juggernaut 15" subs in a 10 cube ported enclosure with 5800 watts rms on it and it will play a 152.3 on music before i run out out of voltage.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I think I know now why he thinks that,,,,,,,, 2 Orion HCCA's @ 50 WPC = 200 watts (actually both are running at 1 Ohm bridged = somewhere around 1600w total depending on voltage )
so he figures he has 5 times the power LOL
no matter what I tell him he just don't get the big picture and around here there is no SPL contest local
so I gave in and told him it sounds more like 175db's to me then I LMAO
People that stupid aren't worth being friends with. =/

·
Registered
119 Posts
well I would say explain to your friend that the DB gain from power is exponential but I am sure that will just go over his head. When you are already talking about a 130 db starting point, 5 times more power in a perfect environment is only a minimal gain (by the numbers like on a meter) because the rule of thumb is you have to double your power each time to gain 1 db.
I would have him read this article.....(that is assuming he is capable of reading??)..dB: What is a decibel?

·
Registered
831 Posts
Many lulz here.

Here's a good reference of what sound levels are:
http://www.makeitlouder.com/Decibel Level Chart.txt

164 and you're breaking normal windshields every time. A guy who does a lot of local shows does that and change with a pair of monstrous 18"s 4 Soundstream XXX-10,000's and a dozen or so 18V batteries. He breaks welds on the car and windshields.

No f-king way you'll do much more than that without starting to armor plate your car and AFAIK reaching 170+ involves tuning all inner panels to act as passive radiators at tuning.

I think in the right box his Kicker L7 12's could do 150 with those amps, but the box would be tuned to 55hz or so and would have to be very well built and would sound like absolute shit trying to play music.

These are 15's tuned to 45hz, Running 14.8V. this box does 148.6 with DC 2000.1 amp and 149.7 with Sundown 3000D (amps run at .5ohm nominal), or 149.1 with a pair of Sundown 3Kd's strapped to 2 ohms nominal.

·
Registered
831 Posts
He has (2) HCCA 10's
The sensitivity of (1) is:
Sensitivity 84dB
He has (2) so 84dB x 2 = 168dB

Therefore he's hitting 168 dB :D
If he adds 1 more he'll be at 252dB yo!
Hard to argue with that math....

In similar news I'm working on acquiring an 8KW amp and I'll be happy to see 153....

·
Blue Collar Audiophile
10,289 Posts
I'm hitting a 179 with a pair of sealed re10's on 400 watts!

No really it sounds more like upper 120's on a GOOD day:laugh:

1 - 20 of 58 Posts