DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 58 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
With a JL Audio 12W7 backed with the JL 1000/1, I hit 143db...
on my phone! Hahahaha!!
There's a guy around here that was doing around that legal on a termlab with 13W7 on the /1000. It was a very well built box though.

Way to ressurect an old thread though.

Since I think I mentioned it, the 8K amp blew up after about an hour of normal listening. F*ck maxxsonics...

·
Registered
9 Posts
To do a 168db?
If we're talking a 'street' vehicle (not extreme), 4 strong 18's in a walled astro, and around 50,000 watts... But it won't be too musical - peaking around 55hz.

In an extreme vehicle, I believe Dante has broke a 170 on a single woofer on around 30k (3-4 years ago), but your talking lots of concrete, steel, and lexan. Not a 'driveable' vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Hi,

this is one of our competition cars and just did 167.1 in the dash, 61Hz

it took 30kW, 4x 18s, 60cf band pass box to do so.
you see i understand the reason for doing cars like this to puish the boundrys and all that but really its not even car audio anymore its now just a speaker with batterys and sum wheels to rol it with true car audio should be grndpounders like 150ish upwards but in a car you can still drive

i know i know 1nything from 155 well 15 -162-3db is going to start breaking stuff aswell as yourself but if you cant drive the car pull up at the light next to sum guy cranking his fully sik system and then larf and hit the switvch on yours and watch his windows break its just not car audio

comps should be extreme or anything that isnt driveable up to a ormal cruzin speed then ground pouners or anything that has b piller backwards commited to stereo speakers box or batterys etc

the street which is all seats avalable no matter how many batts or speakers or watever obviiusly there would be classes to the op at 1000w pers sub in 15" i can think oif about a dozen brands i would buy over kicker L7 while they arent bad subs they just arent as good as sum others like Ascendant audio, FI, SSA, sundown audio, Digital Designs, DC Audio, Peirce Audio, Obsideon audio (awsum price for awsum gear) Cactus audio, Audiosystem, Memphis audio (C3 or MOJO)and also sureal innovations but they are a little bt more expensive for wat they offer against the others listed

and if your after LOUD but still with good sound then a well designed ported box will work well but will never sound as good as a Sealed box according to the all the experts in the audiophile books but then dont always belive wat you read

Ren
xMplar:eek:

·
Registered
75 Posts
whoops i answerd 2 topics in that post i think never mind one form the one i read before that

anyhoo to do 168 i reckon its not easy and you have to blow at least one system on the way to doing it but having said that i think most ppl a 138-140 out of your system shop bought and built pro or no is a fiaarly resonable expectation now nost of the system you spend reosonable money on are doing that i mean siok by nines will do like 129

so you could do it with 4 subwoofers the right type of box and maybe i beleive 10kw or even less like say 1 x 5kw or possible 2 x effecint 3kw amps
most of it comes down to one thing design and how well and how effecient yours is also not having any weak links from any part of the chain

with approx 4 batts in a fully streetable car it would have to have sum sertios reinforcements and maybe some race glass or lexan or simalar for the windows as glass would just smash

as i have seen a car with 3 x 15s it was a mental build use 1 x 300.2 mosconi amp bridged to 1800 or whatever it was do a 168 db drag official in europe using 3 15" free air design audiosystem subs and 1 x audiosystem mosconi 300.1 amp at i think it may have been 16v but possibley 12-14v it doesnt say but its official

·
Registered
9 Posts
uh, no...
10kw should get you to upper 50's ('maybe' break a 60 - and we're talking a walled vehicle, not a 'street' type setup, and it's gonna be tuned high and non musical).

You've seen a freeair setup do a 168 on 1800 watts in europe??, yah, lay off the ganja man...

so you could do it with 4 subwoofers the right type of box and maybe i beleive 10kw or even less like say 1 x 5kw or possible 2 x effecint 3kw amps

as i have seen a car with 3 x 15s it was a mental build use 1 x 300.2 mosconi amp bridged to 1800 or whatever it was do a 168 db drag official in europe using 3 15" free air design audiosystem subs and 1 x audiosystem mosconi 300.1 amp at i think it may have been 16v but possibley 12-14v it doesnt say but its official

·
Registered
75 Posts
hell man i have done a sub up port back with 2 15s and about 250-3500 between them for a 150flat at 40hz on a termlab with the box tuned at around 35hz

you dont need to have big power to make big numbers it does help as does the build granted the above was a extremeish build but they did for a lauf and cause they blew the normal amp which was putting them into the 170s and whacked in a mosconi 300.2 am with the 3 15" audiosystem Free air subs for a world record db score compleatly official and the subdown car in russia with its interestiingly designed box did a 160. sumthing with 2 x ns1s or whatever they are and a single 18 in full on no wall and no clamps aon doors nor bullet proof glass or lexan or plexi etc it all comes down to the gear you use and the system you design its as simple as that

Ren
xMplar

·
Registered
9 Posts
Would of been nice if you had mentioned you were referring to an extreme vehicle. =) Most of your post lead me to believe we were talking about a 'driveable' street vehicle...

Not really sure why your throwing your car in the mix (don't get me wrong, 150 with that power/cone is good number) but worlds apart from what goes into an extreme vehicle. Hell, I can do a 153 (door open at the dash) in my Celica with 2900 watts (clamped) and 2 10's... but no way in hell either of us are gonna do a 168 (let alone a 160) on that little of power/cone.

I agree, it's possible to do a 'decent' number on little power, but back to the original topic, we're talking about what it takes to do a 168, right? In an extreme vehicle, sure, 10kw should do pretty good number. But in a typical street vehicle, no.
55-58ish tops on 10kw. With a wall - 159-161.

The Sundown car your referring to, I'm familiar with, and a 160 is a reasonable number for that power (NS-1's are rated at what, 6kw each?). Again, world's apart the realm of a 168... and very few people in that neighborhood with a stock interior (non-extreme).

hell man i have done a sub up port back with 2 15s and about 250-3500 between them for a 150flat at 40hz on a termlab with the box tuned at around 35hz

you dont need to have big power to make big numbers it does help as does the build granted the above was a extremeish build but they did for a lauf and cause they blew the normal amp which was putting them into the 170s and whacked in a mosconi 300.2 am with the 3 15" audiosystem Free air subs for a world record db score compleatly official and the subdown car in russia with its interestiingly designed box did a 160. sumthing with 2 x ns1s or whatever they are and a single 18 in full on no wall and no clamps aon doors nor bullet proof glass or lexan or plexi etc it all comes down to the gear you use and the system you design its as simple as that

Ren
xMplar

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most of these EXTREME vehicles would do 150's on head unit power. Completely elimitating preasure loss from vibration and super efficient box design is where it's at at that level.

IMO these things are the equivelant of putting an aircraft engine in a semi truck (seen that done). or those cars with the hydraulic suspension that can bounce 15 feet up in the air. Just totally testing the limits. At the extreme of anything it becomes impractical for normal use.

·
Registered
24 Posts
168 is deadly.
30kw+ power massive amounts of cone area. Large intricate bandpasses. Just as much money in deadening and support. as well as a battery bank to hold any kind of power above 16V

·
Registered
564 Posts
Is nobody even taking into account the fact that a 1996 Mustang is what we call a "car"?
Getting that kinda numbers in a car is next to impossible. Vans, wagons, SUVs, or hatchbacks maybe. Car, yah...no. Take into account the other details and laugh when he fails to reach 130.

Guessing at a system's decibels without metering it is worthless. I've seen many people who, if you judged by ear, had louder systems than mine. I then made them listen to my setup and they didn't think it was as loud. After a few minutes though, they began to feel the air pressurize a bit and realized that the SPL in my vehicle was higher than theirs. It was just the fact that their systems surpassed 50% THD, it hurts your ears even at 65 dB :/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had an interesting conversation with my neighbor yesterday after work .
it all started out with him asking me how loud I thought my system was I told him at least 130- 135 with my current config ( 2 HCCA 250's & a set of OS HCCA 10's sealed .75 f3 each in my work truck then he begins telling me that the system in his 1996 mustang GT (which consist of 2 RF power 1500bd'S running a set of Kicker L7 12's) and that he is making 168 DB's with of course stock electrical and a pre fabbed store bought sealed box and no sound deadening. 4 ga wire 1.5 farad cap
I through up the BS flag told him he would be "lucky" to be in the low to mid 40's and he got pissy about it. so I told him for the simple sakes of keeping our friendship intact I would ask a couple of forum users.
so,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
how much power does it take to produce those #'s (168 ) and what does or would it consist of ?
and is my guess fairly accurate?
I have 3 memphis mojo 5series 15"subs and I hit 168 all day on volume 35 and my pioneer deck goes up to 62

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have 3 memphis mojo 5series 15"subs and I hit 168 all day on volume 35 and my pioneer deck goes up to 62
35 out of 62 huh? Sounds like you know exactly what you're doing! Since SPL is apparently directly and solely affected by headunit volume, and not at all reliant on the gains of the anonymous amps you're running, voltage, cabin gain, enclosure design, or cone area/displacement, we could set up the equation this way:

35/168 dB = 62/x dB and solve for x.

You should turn your Pioneer deck up to 62 and hit 297.6 dB. You've got mojo!

·
Registered
18,304 Posts
I swear, threads should be automatically locked after a year of no activity

·
Registered
24 Posts
168 db is like RustyWCA, literally a conversion van with 5 HO alternators massive battery bank that costs more than my car. That's pretty ridiculous SPL, and as said before by some others the car would not be a daily driver. You would risk bursting your ear drums at that level. Anything is possible, but that is a crazy number.

41 - 58 of 58 Posts