·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I have only seen humpys up there.

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
Not completely sure of the meaning of 'humpys'...
I like my house I guess...and this area brings back fond memories as it is where I always used to surf as an early teen (y)

·
Registered
2004 Lexus GS 300
77 Posts
This is something cool and different...I'm happy to share
Perth, Western Australia...typical 'conservative contemporary' design for around here. 5 bedroom, 3 bathroom, couple minutes walk from the beach...awesome bachelor pad 🤘
That pic was three years ago when the house was brand new so the garden has grown out a heap more...not quite anything like your place though @thedynoguy ...that is an awesome house mate (y)
Ay Holmz cuz I bs cmn pasna cpa owwwrs ay brus...n gosm o da dream time woobla cuz ;)
You can have that and I will have a Scotch :LOL:
Beautiful!

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
Cool man...awesome house! How the bricklayers did the arch to your front entry would be interesting to know...you must have a full bedroom above your garage!! It's pretty cool to see different design philosphy's....
I don't mean to pry at all but obviously being American do you mind telling me what State you live in? PM if you wish (or feel free to say 'no comment' if you wish!)...I am a Civil Engineer and the differing designs of houses according to location (and other factors) really sparks my curiosity...totally understood if you don't want to give out personal details though (y)
Peace mate

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
No one gives a shit what anyone's house looks like anyway. Get a life, losers. Dumb thread.
Kountz... is that you?

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
How the bricklayers did the arch to your front entry would be interesting to know...
They are not that difficult. Just frame an arch/form out of 2x4s and a sheet of plywood. It doesn't support anything just holds/guides the shape. You can either cut the brick at an angle or have a little bit different mortar joint space at top and bottom. Either way looks good.

Framing an arch for a big round window is harder than brick to me.

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
No one gives a shit what anyone's house looks like anyway. Get a life, losers. Dumb thread.
Someone lives in a trailer.

Seriously though...the 'fun machine' really took s shit and died around here...and it seems to be getting done by guys who joined around 4 months ago (at the time I write this). Coronavirus blow ins? I don't know...but it really is getting a bit difficult to be bothered.

Interesting post on arch construction though mate...cheers (y) 'sorry' that I find that interesting I guess.

Peace

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
It's weird how something complicated looking can be so simple.

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
It's weird how something complicated looking can be so simple.
Well...I definitely agree...but I think having possibly a little 'over-ambitiously' attempted a number of renovations on my houses over the years...that the opposite can be true for the untrained 'weekend warrior' as well!
I know I have at times taken a job on and soon after starting it thought 'this looked like it was going to be a lot easier than this'! Haha...doesn't matter to me...I am having fun and I take my time so it is all good :)
I can brick lay simple walls and things as well...but no way would I attempt something like an arch like that! It may be a relatively simple thing in theory...but those sorts of things I leave to the dudes with the skills (y)

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
I do this stuff for a living. It's really about confidence. Our company moto is "we'll figure it out" (mostly joking). The thing I see most homeowners have a hard time with is stairs. They look easy (especially deck stairs) but when it comes to 9/12 angles to degrees, remembering the floor is/isn't a step in this application, height of finish substrate, etc.

·
Registered
2016 WRX (FA20DIT)
207 Posts
That is amazing that you say that...in my last house I was all guns firing to install some decking leading out to the rear of the house...DIY job; no problems!
I tend to plan things in precise detail before doing anything...so I had a full excel spreadsheet that listed every piece of sub frame timber and decking amounts etc....all the way down to how many screws and nails I would need (I am just weird like that).
I was amazed that in a simple 10m x 3m deck (33 ft x 10 ft) there was just slightly more wood required than in the two steps down to the brick paving!! I triple checked it because I thought it was rubbish :LOL:
It wasn't though...in the end I was a little too concerned about how much time it was going to take one guy (without a nail gun) so I paid some guys to do it.
They were totally shithouse and scrimped out wherever they could. One of the young guys even managed to nail gun a piece of wood through a copper gas pipe. Muppet could have blown himself up...it was obviously marked where all the services were for the guys safety as well (because I understand the life/death ramifications of unmarked services from my line of work). Darwin award nominee.
Anyway...yeah it was surprising how the stairs were goddam tricky to do and both more labour and material intensive than I thought...! (y)

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I do this stuff for a living. It's really about confidence. Our company moto is "we'll figure it out" (mostly joking).
Well, at least, I guess that's a step up from a contractor I knew whose employees' motto for the company was "It's nice ... because we do it twice !!!"

After college, and after I set out in my own woodworking business, my informal motto was ... "I'm expensive but I'm slow."

LOL

·
Listener of Music
3,330 Posts
I always tell new guys that if you do it slow it's got to be right. I don't mine slow if it's only done once.

I get crazy one off jobs like historical restorations, solar shingles, hemlock siding, because I'm like " I have no idea but it will look amazing when we're done!"

It's become a thing. Several big time 50 employee type contractor's now sub us for all their ridiculous jobs. It keeps us on our toes and keeps work exciting, albeit very difficult sometimes.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts