DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would like to know what enclosure specs everyone went with on their 18" W6 Dual 6 ohm subwoofer. It's been a while since these were on sale and i think many of you guys have had enough time to build an enclosure. Would be nice to hear you guys share your enclosure specs with the goal in mind, power and vehicle type details. I'll be building an enclosure for one soon so i'm just trying to get ideas from those who have completed their project. Let's see what we can get going, thanks

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
1.75 ft3 sealed. Not recomended for any other applications.

There was some discussion about them, in another thread, but you already know about that one, so I'm not much help.:blush:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1.75 ft3 sealed. Not recomended for any other applications.

There was some discussion about them, in another thread, but you already know about that one, so I'm not much help.:blush:
How are you liking yours and how much power do you have it on?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I've actually been running a 15W6, sealed, for almost ten years. Started out with three of them and three Excelon M401's in my Jeep. Sold two of each to buy a new car, when the Jeep died. They were getting between 300 (@4ohm) and 600 (@2ohm) with the coils parallel @ 3ohm. The last 8 years it's been pluggin' along without a complaint. Although, I haven't asked that much from it, in recent years, which is why I've down-graded to a single 10W3 in a stealth style box, in an effort to regain some trunk space. Now the 15W6 is in it's new home in my sisters Trailblazer, with a Alpine MRP-M500. Still sounds good.
FWIW, I gave them 1.5ft3, a little over the recommended 1.25ft3.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Would like to know what enclosure specs everyone went with on their 18" W6 Dual 6 ohm subwoofer. It's been a while since these were on sale and i think many of you guys have had enough time to build an enclosure. Would be nice to hear you guys share your enclosure specs with the goal in mind, power and vehicle type details. I'll be building an enclosure for one soon so i'm just trying to get ideas from those who have completed their project. Let's see what we can get going, thanks

hi i had a pair of these many yrs ago ! and did try them in a few different enclosures mid size ported i think was 6 cubes total and a larger one at 10 cubes ! but sounded like crap ! :( so tryed in small sealed enclosure about 2 cubes i believe i built it at !? and then they sounded good !:confused: but i also was running ever bit of 600 watts RMS or more to each one, was running a PA 2400-2 ! but i would say sealed is defently the way to go ! yes shocking !:eek:

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi i had a pair of these many yrs ago ! and did try them in a few different enclosures mid size ported i think was 6 cubes total and a larger one at 10 cubes ! but sounded like crap ! :( so tryed in small sealed enclosure about 2 cubes i believe i built it at !? and then they sounded good !:confused: but i also was running ever bit of 500 watts RMS or more to each one, was running a MTX 1501d ! but i would say sealed is defently the way to go ! yes shocking !:eek:

How does your 18" compare to the 15" you had? Does the 18" W6 get low off the power you have on it or is it lacking due to enclosure? Was your 15" W6 the old skool ones too? Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
How does your 18" compare to the 15" you had? Does the 18" W6 get low off the power you have on it or is it lacking due to enclosure? Was your 15" W6 the old skool ones too? Thanks
well i didnt have any JL 15"s, just 10"s 12"s and the 18"s ! but i had better SQ with 12"s of course ! but the lows were nice with the 18"s and i forgot i had one of my PA 2400-2's running the 2x 18"s ! hard to remember all my installs !:confused: done dozens with many brands !!! but was really pushing the 18"s hard !!! :eek:
you can see the amp i used on the JL W6 18"s in my pics i have 8x of those 2400-2's and multi[les of all the other size amps in the 1 ohm series !! ! but sold the 18"s shortly after putting in my 91' 300Z after trying them in my suv in multiple enclosures ! it did do good in the Z but it was real tight in there to though ! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts