DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see the term "long throw" mentioned quite a bit when referring to midwoofers but never see any definition of what it means. So I ask: what exactly makes a woofer a "long throw" one? What do I look for when shopping for raw drivers? I'm assuming it's a certain amount of xmax... But how much for it to be considered "long throw"? Let's assume for the sake of this discussion that we're talking about an 8" midbass driver.

·
Super Moderator
5,227 Posts
To me long-throw describes a woofer that is capable of more output at it's lower frequencies than a similar size woofer.

There's no set xmax that determines if the driver is long-throw. Look at it the other way, what do you want the driver to do, then you decide what specifications the driver will need to reach those goals.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
If the manufacturer thinks it has good Xmax compared to other products (a non-long-throw version, or competitors, or whatever they feel like comparing to), they may call it long-throw. Some manufacturers (e.g. Eton) do this and some do not. It's not a spec but a marketing term.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Depends on the weight but I'd say if you can get it at least 30 yards, it's a long throw for a subwoofer.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
LOLs!

To me it only means it is more than just a plain speaker. It has a longer VC or more travel in the suspension, or longer/double magnets in the motor, etc. However it really means nothing because crappy subs can have those things and still be crappy. It takes a lot to make a good large xmax sub that does not distort significantly more because of the extra xmax. That is why the good ones cost a lot more and use particular technologies or designs to make them work right. The more xmax you want the harder it is to make if SQ is a factor.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
It's like writing "high output" on a car engine. It could mean anything... and nothing.
or like putting "high power" on an amplifier. 99.999% of the time, if an amplifier has "high power" written on it, it isnt high power.

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Depends on the weight but I'd say if you can get it at least 30 yards, it's a long throw for a subwoofer.
I'm pretty sure I had the elevation and velocity for at least 50 yards from an RS180 if the damn garage door hadn't gotten in the way.

Gotta remember to keep the garage door open if I'm going to launch various implements in utter frustration and anger.

Electric stapler met the same fate a few weeks back. It's fate was much worse. It may have lived if it had managed to get out of the garage. Instead I chased it down with a sledgehammer and it met my Jack Nicholson "Shining"esque crazed, frenzied self.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts