DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody listen to this song, I took a pill in Ibiza? During the intro, first 30 seconds, there is a low bass segment that just rattles my trunk and decklid. I would like to know where about is this bass frequency so I may tone that frequency down since I don't really consider that to be musical. Also, is this what most people consider a low note when they are saying a subwoofer can play low? Then around the 1:30 segment, a beat comes on that I do enjoy. Can someone tell me what frequency is that beat so I can focus in that area?

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Can somebody listen to this song, I took a pill in Ibiza? During the intro, first 30 seconds, there is a low bass segment that just rattles my trunk and decklid. I would like to know where about is this bass frequency so I may tone that frequency down since I don't really consider that to be musical. Also, is this what most people consider a low note when they are saying a subwoofer can play low? Then around the 1:30 segment, a beat comes on that I do enjoy. Can someone tell me what frequency is that beat so I can focus in that area?

I'm currently installing Windows 11 or I would check this for you. Regarding the first low note, if you have a subsonic filter you could turn that up to tone down that note.

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm currently installing Windows 11 or I would check this for you. Regarding the first low note, if you have a subsonic filter you could turn that up to tone down that note.
Yes, I have a dsp and I did set a subsonic filter at 33hz. But I didn't know if that was an appropriate filter to set based upon my music preference. I just know I don't like that note and don't mind cutting at that frequency. Even after setting the subsonic filter, that low bass still came through pretty strongly to rattle my whole trunk and decklid. So I probably have to go into that frequency range and cut it some more. However, I did like the beat that was coming at 1:30 in the video, therefore, I didn't want to cut any frequencies that might impact that beat.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Download any spectrum analyzer app to your phone, then play the sound. It will show exactly what frequency it is. I like audio tools or krk or dbmeter.

Reactions: 420tabbycat

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Ok. I will try it. So the phone's microphone will be able to recognize such a low frequency? Then the app can take a snapshot of the frequency?
It won't give an accurate representation of overall frequency response, but it will allow you to pinpoint frequencies.

· Registered
326 Posts
I can't tell you what exactly frequencies they are but either one's not super low. By listening to frequency sweeps my little Klipsch computer system drops off at about 40hz and both of those frequencies are loud and proud on my little system. They sound super good on mine too. Sounds like whatever frequency it is is just rattling the hell out of your car. You can tone that frequency down with your dsp with a real high Q and minimize that. But I'd say you'd still definitely want the immediate frequencies below that troubled frequency thats resonating everything so I would put you infrasonic filter up that high. You really need to get you a mic.

· Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,362 Posts
It won't give an accurate representation of overall frequency response, but it will allow you to pinpoint frequencies.
I’m under the belief that iPhone is a decent platform for an rta app because the phone models are very cut and dry and completely standardized. The android os is the complete opposite with numerous devices of greatly varying quality. What’s it like 13 different iPhones with only about the 6 most modern still in use, so the app developers can predict the microphone characteristics and program accordingly. I remember looking into this and walking away with the belief that an iPhone rta is actually “pretty” good for casual use.

There’s seemingly a fairly regular stream of posts asking “where to crossover (insert whatever)” and I almost always suggest a smart phone rta because at the general level of understanding that yields such questions, a simple look at obvious dips and peaks is great.

I only mention this because it’s easy for people to see the gurus on here measuring with calibrated mics and rew on very refined systems and think “all that measurement stuff is crazy and out of reach so I’ll just cross my fingers and turn knobs”.

I know you already kinda said this but I honestly think more people getting into sq should be using some sort of phone measurement, preferably iPhone but anything is better than guessing, imo.

· Registered
2004 Rav4 (2)JL900/5 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
2,362 Posts
There is another route you can go, acoustically treat the offending areas that rattle. Bass is like a cats tail to me, my favorite part. Have you examined the license plate? That’s an extremely easy fix if it’s buzzing. I was just waking up and wasn’t thinking right quite yet when I made my last response, I was trying to help you turn down a bass note lol. Many options that are generally easy and accessible to quiet resonances.

· Registered
739 Posts
If you have it on MP3 you can put it into Audacity and do a insert the conversion here to get the frequency response. You can select just that part of the song.

I forget what Audacity calls the time to frequency response, but it is in the pulldown.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
I’m under the belief that iPhone is a decent platform for an rta app because the phone models are very cut and dry and completely standardized. The android os is the complete opposite with numerous devices of greatly varying quality. What’s it like 13 different iPhones with only about the 6 most modern still in use, so the app developers can predict the microphone characteristics and program accordingly. I remember looking into this and walking away with the belief that an iPhone rta is actually “pretty” good for casual use.

There’s seemingly a fairly regular stream of posts asking “where to crossover (insert whatever)” and I almost always suggest a smart phone rta because at the general level of understanding that yields such questions, a simple look at obvious dips and peaks is great.

I only mention this because it’s easy for people to see the gurus on here measuring with calibrated mics and rew on very refined systems and think “all that measurement stuff is crazy and out of reach so I’ll just cross my fingers and turn knobs”.

I know you already kinda said this but I honestly think more people getting into sq should be using some sort of phone measurement, preferably iPhone but anything is better than guessing, imo.
Yeah, I hear that the iPhone mics are pretty consistent and those kinds of apps are often calibrated for them.

· Registered
4,298 Posts

I got it, if you are referencing the more constant note at the beginning, that note is 57 hz, right smack in the "boom" category. The second note you mentioned starting at the 1:30 mark is primarily 87 hz with harmonics above and below, right in the "punchy" midbass category.
That first note scared the crap out of me, I selected it in Audacity then hit loop play with the volume turned up, accidentally!

· Registered
4,298 Posts
You can eq that 57 hz note, but don't try to cut it with a subsonic filter, it's just to high for that.

Reactions: Anu2g

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I got it, if you are referencing the more constant note at the beginning, that note is 57 hz, right smack in the "boom" category. The second note you mentioned starting at the 1:30 mark is primarily 87 hz with harmonics above and below, right in the "punchy" midbass category.
That first note scared the crap out of me, I selected it in Audacity then hit loop play with the volume turned up, accidentally!
Thank you. Wow, I didn't even realize a 57hz note is creating the buzz in my car. After listening to it again in a sealed box the note is not as offensive to me. I found some other songs with lower notes. I have done simple cld on the decklid and trunk lid along with some parts of the quarter panel and trunk but the buzzing is still there. Probably because the sheet metal on the Nissan Altima is fairly thin. There are also a long of vibration coming from the headliner and roof panel. Since this car is just a temporary one until I can get a new car when the chip shortage is over, I don't want to put too much money into the car to fix the problem. But it isn't really the rattling but the fact that those type of notes don't appeal to me. I guess I only like notes in the punchy midbass category.

Can someone recommend a subwoofer that does well in the punch midbass category or is that an oxymoron because a subwoofer is just meant to produce sub bass notes, the lower the better the sub? I am currently running a Jl Audio 12w6v3. No complaints but was wondering if there was a sub out there that performs better in the midbass region.

· Registered
4,298 Posts
Thank you. Wow, I didn't even realize a 57hz note is creating the buzz in my car. After listening to it again in a sealed box the note is not as offensive to me. I found some other songs with lower notes. I have done simple cld on the decklid and trunk lid along with some parts of the quarter panel and trunk but the buzzing is still there. Probably because the sheet metal on the Nissan Altima is fairly thin. There are also a long of vibration coming from the headliner and roof panel. Since this car is just a temporary one until I can get a new car when the chip shortage is over, I don't want to put too much money into the car to fix the problem. But it isn't really the rattling but the fact that those type of notes don't appeal to me. I guess I only like notes in the punchy midbass category.

Can someone recommend a subwoofer that does well in the punch midbass category or is that an oxymoron because a subwoofer is just meant to produce sub bass notes, the lower the better the sub? I am currently running a Jl Audio 12w6v3. No complaints but was wondering if there was a sub out there that performs better in the midbass region.
I'd just stick with what you have, and try a little eq.

· Registered
2017 Toyota 86. Focal Utopia M, Audiofrog GB, Mosconi Zero
1,122 Posts

Jl v6 subs do quite well in up into 120hz if needed. Eq will be your friend. Getting rid of the cars peak in that 55-60hz region and smoothing the bass response out a bit will make that "punch" more apparent. There may also be some phase issues between the sub and midbass making it fall short.
A mic will be your best friend, it is very worth it

· Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jl v6 subs do quite well in up into 120hz if needed. Eq will be your friend. Getting rid of the cars peak in that 55-60hz region and smoothing the bass response out a bit will make that "punch" more apparent. There may also be some phase issues between the sub and midbass making it fall short.
A mic will be your best friend, it is very worth it
Thank you very much. I will give eq a try. I have always read that lowpass should be set at 80hz or sometimes even 60hz for the sub. Never really hear anybody recommend setting the lowpass to 120hz. My CDT Chrome 6.5 midbass does give me a big dip starting at 100hz even though i set my highpass to 80hz. So I am thinking my 80hz to 100hz region is somewhat lacking.

· Registered
2017 Toyota 86. Focal Utopia M, Audiofrog GB, Mosconi Zero
1,122 Posts
Thank you very much. I will give eq a try. I have always read that lowpass should be set at 80hz or sometimes even 60hz for the sub. Never really hear anybody recommend setting the lowpass to 120hz. My CDT Chrome 6.5 midbass does give me a big dip starting at 100hz even though i set my highpass to 80hz. So I am thinking my 80hz to 100hz region is somewhat lacking.
My guess would be the TA/phase issues between the midbass and sub. I dont necessarily reccomend a 120hz crossover for the midbass to sub, but if you have 5in midranges that struggle at 100hz, it is possible. Sometimes the rear seats/ cabin gain will also mess with response, making a 80hz crossover point look like a 70hz crossover acoustically. So you may need to bump the electronic crossover up or down a bit depending what the response looks like.

At the end of the day, the electronic crossover point is almost pointless. It's It's acoustic crossover point that matters. Thats why I'm suggesting a mic and measurements to do the EQ work.

I used a 13v2 in IB for a while and was playing around with crossover points for fun. As long as the TA was properly set, and the response was smooth and matched, you couldn't tell it was the sub playing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.