DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Also, ABYC E-11 is as good as you're going to get to show why you use the amp draw instead of the wire capacity when determining fuse size, but since there's no SAE equivalent to ABYC E-11, one is better off saying, "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree"... Being the ..... that I am, seeing as it's National Safety Month, I'll point out that the "first rule" is to minimize risk as much as possible.

·
Registered
2010 HHR
1,596 Posts

·
Registered
5,598 Posts
I like solder in copper lugs. I wonder if there is a video comparing crimping vs solder
Here's an excellent thread on the subject:

For extra credit ...and entertainment value :cool::

·
Registered
210 Posts
I like solder in copper lugs. I wonder if there is a video comparing crimping vs solder
If you have some money, buy a hydraulic crimper, otherwise DIY hexagon by welding nuts together and cut it in half; proceed to crimp with vise.

Soldering vs crimping can not be distinguished with few words or by a thread on the forum.
This is something that is described by multiple IPC standards and certfications. It is very extensive literature and requires ton of trainings for aquiring each of single certification for it.

Very superficially said; soldering is used where conditions doesn't alow you for crimp (PCB,XT60,RCA).

I also in the past had soldered and taped connections. Even today i do shady things for emergency purposes. But i wouldn't recomend that to anyone, especialy when we talk about simple DC/AC systems like a car audio.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Also, ABYC E-11 is as good as you're going to get to show why you use the amp draw instead of the wire capacity when determining fuse size, but since there's no SAE equivalent to ABYC E-11, one is better off saying, "I guess we'll have to agree to disagree"... Being the ..... that I am, seeing as it's National Safety Month, I'll point out that the "first rule" is to minimize risk as much as possible.
What happens when the wire size is undersized and cannot pass the amount of current that the amplifier can safely take? That's why you fuse for the wire, not the amplifier.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,375 Posts
Now I have something to think about. My MMATS LSX4000.1 is on its way I may get it tonight. Only has 1 0 gauge input and i only have 1 run of 0 gauge to my current amp. The manual tells me to fuse at 400A my run from the rear lithium's is less that 3' I don't think my wire is rated for 400A. Will there be issues fusing 400A, should I fuse at 300A and possibly blow fuses if I Run 1ohm. Will that amp even pull 400A, it's a Full bridge.. 🤷🏽

·
Registered
2018 Honda Accord EXL 2.0 GB 3way doors GB40/10 centre Helix M4dsp/M6 Sundown salt MMats + more
1,375 Posts
ItsonlyaHONDA

Thanx, I know about dual inputs, I just didn't want to take it that far, just yet. I'm gonna test out just 1 for now and if need be I'll add a second wire. I'm just wondering why they only put 1 input and suggest to fuse at 400A.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
An other reason I got that amp was that it required only 1 0 gauge input on 4k. Defeats the purpose of getting it if I end up running 2 runs anyways.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts