DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am building enclosure's underneath my acura vigor, for the peerless xls 8's, that will need to withstand road debris and the such, what gauge and type metal should I use for this application?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
let's see if I understand this correct. You want to put the 8" xls on the floor and you'll cut a hole/s through the floor?

:shock:

this is one hell of a project

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yikes... If I'm thinking what you're saying... That's going to be a lot of work, and it may not even be worth it. What's wrong with standard kick panels?

Realize that by cutting the whole, you're going to be weaking the body of the car. That may not be safe, just my opinion.

David

·
Registered
16 Posts
not really an issue depending on location.....just stay away from where carriage bolts to body behind firewall, firewall itself and rockers(rockers "can" be done though)

18ga should be plenty but box it in completly..a little non hardening clay and your set....make a solid baffle out of 3/4 birch or mdf to mount speaker in...then for box i would tab the side walls about 1/2 to 3/4" and screw/glue the bottom to baffle....drop in hole and silicone underneath around new/old cut through..you'll have to be creative on finish to get it to blend to floor but this is basic visual...if you wanted, you could make whole box out of steel or aluminum...steel will give a bit more strength, but if your in floorpan it really isnt necessary

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
slickone- thank you, that was exactly the information I needed.
The acura vigor has no room for kickpanels, as it is I am having a hard time figuring out where I am going to locate the neopro 5i ribbons. I was thinking about mounting them centerfloorboard as close to the front firewall, without interfering my brake pedal, then putting a 22.5 to 30 degree verticle angle on them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well, I can't argue with that! Good luck with your install. I really hope it turns out well. If you're that dedicated to making it work. The finish product will definately be worth it. Please let us know the progress :) show pictures, and people here will give you advice as you progress through the project.

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I must admit I was very dissapointed when I finally picked up the Acura from my ex- for some reason I thought it had a larger footwell area-more like my old Accord- oh well I'll make the best of it for now.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yeah accord has a pretty large room for kicks.

But Vigor is a class above an accord :) so it probably sounds more quiet and sturdy. Heh at least that's a positive point!

David

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ya the kicks are just not worth doing.
I have interior completely removed- except for the seats and door skin on the drivers side. I do like the car, however, it needs some restoration. I think I am going to keep it simple with this one untill I get a hold of a different car or truck.
I really wanted to use some ATC midrange drivers with the ribbons and peerless 8's, there just isnt room in this car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
holy crap! someone else with a vigor

i'd definitely love to see whatever you've done so far to it!

and yeah, there really doesn't seem to be alot of room for kicks, especially with a clutch.

have you taken off the A pillar by chance? thats the one thing i really need to figure out how to do

·
Registered
265 Posts
Does your Vigor look like this?

If so... Kicks are doable. I had kicks in a 1990 camry, which had about as much room as the vigor pictured. It was a little hard to get used to (small feet room), but after a while you get used to it. But I didn't have a clutch, is your vigor an automatic or manual?

What year is your vigor...

Wow a 5 cyclinder car, that's probably the only one out there that has 5 cylinder (am I right?)

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep... thats how mine looks... I still don't think I could really handle kicks on the long term though... Its just such a huge habit to put my foot straight on the dead pedal between shifts, and during winter whatever speakers were down there would likely get destroyed anyway :(. But I dunno, if I ever try to go for a dedicated midbass, I'll probably mess around with kicks, but I also know nothing about glassing, and I'm too lazy/don't have enough time to learn.

There are actually a few other cars out there with an I5... Volvo's i know for sure (my dad's old 850 turbo for instance had one), the new Jetta, and I think some very old Audi's used to have them.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just looking at the Vigor door panel, i'm thinking... Why not put a CA18RNX in there (if it'll fit) and cut a hole for the LPG 25nfa? That would sound pretty good and look very clean. The nice thing is that you'll have the tweeters close to the mids (a PLUS!).

David

·
Registered
265 Posts
I'd say, don't worry to much about a dedicated midbass. Good midrange drivers can play fine 2.5khz down to 63hz. A good 2 way setup done right would sound exceptional!

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, at this point I just picked up a set of Monitor Car.5's that I'm running active, and I got a good deal on them... the only issue is the 5" only really play safely down to about 100hz with 18db/oct slope. If i can pickup a set of the 6's i definitely will, and give the 5's to my dad.

I'd be kind of timid to replace these, I really like them, and the only SEAS drivers i've heard are the Excels and the Millenium (both of which I absolutely loved), but I don't have the money to really experiment at this point unfortunately, thanks though!

Also, sorry for hijacking the thread :oops:

·
Registered
120 Posts
xDeLiRiOuSx said:
Wow a 5 cyclinder car, that's probably the only one out there that has 5 cylinder (am I right?)

David
the first gen TL had the same 5 cyl engine. also a ton of older audis had 5cyl engines as well. It was rumored that honda actually bought the 5cyls they used in the vigor from audi.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Woah, neat, Thank you everyone for sharing their knowledge about 5 cylinder engines with me. I used to think the Vigor was the only one!

David

·
Registered
6 Posts
vibrator said:
the first gen TL had the same 5 cyl engine. also a ton of older audis had 5cyl engines as well. It was rumored that honda actually bought the 5cyls they used in the vigor from audi.
bah, for all intents and purposes, the first gen TL is a vigor lol, just no available manual transmission. i always thought it was the dumbest thing ever for acura to get rid of the old names (especially the legend) and go for the alphanumeric naming scheme.

·
Registered
120 Posts
wavac387 said:
vibrator said:
bah, for all intents and purposes, the first gen TL is a vigor lol, just no available manual transmission. i always thought it was the dumbest thing ever for acura to get rid of the old names (especially the legend) and go for the alphanumeric naming scheme.
I agree. I hate the alphanumeric system they use now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts