DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What gauge speaker wire is needed for front stage? Will be throwing about 150x2. Also what Rca's are good to go with, not sure if these rockford fosgate rca's that cost me 16 bucks at best buy are "good enough" i've heard rca's make a differance in sound so i would like to hear some suggestions.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, i might have some 16 gauge monster cable ofc wire laying around. Thanks :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
12-16 awg should be fine. as far as the the $16 rca should be fine as well. For me, I can't tell the audible difference between $1/ft and $20/ft rca ..it's just cosmetic purpose.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll just use the OFC 16 gauge i have laying here. :) thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I use 14-16 gauge speaker cable for mids and tweeters. It really depends on the power you're providing to the speakers. I'm going to be upgrading the power to 250w/ch to my midbass so I'll use 12 gauge. For my sub I use 10 gauge.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What mids are taking that amount of power, that's a lot of power! Well, The components i'll be using are the HAT 6.5 Clarus so what ever power they can take they shall receive.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
16gauge for components and tweeters. Anything bigger would be something to laugh at. I use 10gauge for my subwoofers and I know thats an overkill but I do it because I have a spool of 10gauge & 8gauge wire left-overs.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I used bigger wire mostly because I had it and it fit. LOL
8 gauge to the sub, 12 gauge to the mid bass and midrange and 14 to the tweeters.

Why buy something smaller if you have that sitting there ya know ?

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
I have used 16G that's all fitted though my connector boot,, it was pain in the ass!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Well $1 and $20 is usually gonna be a difference in whether or not you hear random interference noise induced into the system, not a difference in how the sound will sound.

I use 12 gauge for speakers but that's just cause I got a ton of the stuff for a good price at some point in time :p

·
Registered
21 Posts
I used 12ga from the amp to the crossover box's. 12ga from crossover box's to mid speaker. Tweet came pre wired with 18ga or so...

10ga for sub.

I got connection by audison rca's, not cheap and not expensive, I have no induced noise anyway... As long as its twisted shielded you will be fine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just had a complete system install done by a local reputable car audio dealer. My concern is they used quality speaker wire ( at least 16 ga twisted wire) from amps to where the front speaker wires join in at harness. So they did not run the wire all the way to the speakers but used the stock wires after cutting them at the connector. My guess is the stock wires are 18 ga. Is this a big concern?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts