DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new setup will remove what little rear fill I am using currently and will just use my rear speakers to plug the holes in the rear deck. In listening to Kings of Leon this morning, it occurred to me that their music makes use of the rear speakers significantly more than most of what I listen to. In fact, a good portion of their songs come in softly from the rear speakers and then escalate in volume while the music shifts to the front. The question then arose as to what would happen to the music played by my rear speakers once they're no longer connected? Will my fronts somehow pick up the slack?

I am installing the Kenwood KAC-X4R to go with my factory radio/navigation, and it does have a DSP, EQ, T/A, etc. Will the DSP somehow understand how to distribute that signal to my fronts? Currently my fronts are on an external Polk Audio amp while my rears are running on power from the head unit.

I know these questions probably show my ignorance here, but any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
4,428 Posts
it would use rear fill if your were running surround, but if running stereo it wont use rear fill.

Are you running surround sound?

It all depends on how loud you have your rear fill now, if its down enough you dont really hear it up front you wont notice much of a difference. No rear fill can help make your front stage imaging better

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
hold on.... was it a CD?

aren't CD's recorded in stereo????

maybe the reason you heard it in the rear only when it was soft was because the rear speakers were considerably louder....

unless it was a dvd there are only 2 channels on the media...

·
Registered
144 Posts
My new setup will remove what little rear fill I am using currently and will just use my rear speakers to plug the holes in the rear deck. In listening to Kings of Leon this morning, it occurred to me that their music makes use of the rear speakers significantly more than most of what I listen to. In fact, a good portion of their songs come in softly from the rear speakers and then escalate in volume while the music shifts to the front. The question then arose as to what would happen to the music played by my rear speakers once they're no longer connected? Will my fronts somehow pick up the slack?

I am installing the Kenwood KAC-X4R to go with my factory radio/navigation, and it does have a DSP, EQ, T/A, etc. Will the DSP somehow understand how to distribute that signal to my fronts? Currently my fronts are on an external Polk Audio amp while my rears are running on power from the head unit.

I know these questions probably show my ignorance here, but any help would be appreciated.
I recently added rear fill to my setup and at first I was very disappointed. I went and had my system tuned by a local shop and had them setup my time alignment and now it sounds 100x better than with no rear fill.

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
the end result of pulling and/or adding rear-fill seems axiomatically undeniable, there must always be a new thread in celebration of its arrival/departure.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
let me pose another question. when was the last time you went to a concert that had speakers behind you???

have you ever been at a concert and faced the back of the room???

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

I'd have to say the most obvious difference when the rear fill is ditched is that you notice (more glaringly) the poor off-axis response of door-mounted midbass/mid drivers. This change is what prompted me to move my comps to the kicks with an on-axis angle. Now it sounds like I am running a more enveloping sound, just like when I had rear fill. I don't miss rear fill now and found that the sound quality while sitting in the back seats is actualy damn good because the speakers' new angle gets the sound over the front seats from the kick location. It sounds better from any seat in the car compared to before. I almost can't wait to try dash/pillar mounting next. :D

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
If you look downward on your screen, you'll see several other instances where the magic or horror of rear-fill has been discussed.

If we are to have a conversation with information in it, lets discuss, first, the difference between rear-fill and rear speakers. IMHO, Tspence was speaking of the latter while I'll mention the former to be worthy of further research.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I appreciate what everyone is saying, and I'm not disagreeing that rear fill isn't necessary, but I don't think anyone is answering my question.

To answer some questions:

1) I'm not running surround.
2) It was a CD.
3) The rears are not louder, they're much quieter. They're getting whatever my stock headunit provides (5-10 watts?) and my fronts are getting maybe 35 watts from an aftermarket amp. My fader is set up to signficantly favor the fronts.
4) Maybe the "sound" does improve, but do you lose any "information?"

I'll try to restate this. Many of these songs sort of "enter from the rear." Maybe that's why someone asked about surround, but I don't have it. The rear speakers literally play music that is not audible in the fronts, but as the song progresses most of the music ends up in the front. I assumed the CD was mastered this way purposely. So my question is, when my rear speakers are gone, what will play these notes? I can't believe that my sound will improve when my system will literally not play certain notes that it currently does.

This isn't me trying to resist removing my rear fill, it's me trying to figure out where that portion of the music will go. That's why I asked about the DSP correcting this, because it has me thinking that this is some weird dynamic that the factory EQ'ing from the Honda headunit is doing. Maybe the notes I'm hearing from the rears are meant to be much softer, but the factory EQ settings are somehow magnifying the notes in that range?

·
Banned
2,071 Posts
I appreciate what everyone is saying, and I'm not disagreeing that rear fill isn't necessary, but I don't think anyone is answering my question.

To answer some questions:

1) I'm not running surround.
2) It was a CD.
3) The rears are not louder, they're much quieter. They're getting whatever my stock headunit provides (5-10 watts?) and my fronts are getting maybe 35 watts from an aftermarket amp. My fader is set up to signficantly favor the fronts.
4) Maybe the "sound" does improve, but do you lose any "information?"

I'll try to restate this. Many of these songs sort of "enter from the rear." Maybe that's why someone asked about surround, but I don't have it. The rear speakers literally play music that is not audible in the fronts, but as the song progresses most of the music ends up in the front. I assumed the CD was mastered this way purposely. So my question is, when my rear speakers are gone, what will play these notes? I can't believe that my sound will improve when my system will literally not play certain notes that it currently does.

This isn't me trying to resist removing my rear fill, it's me trying to figure out where that portion of the music will go. That's why I asked about the DSP correcting this, because it has me thinking that this is some weird dynamic that the factory EQ'ing from the Honda headunit is doing. Maybe the notes I'm hearing from the rears are meant to be much softer, but the factory EQ settings are somehow magnifying the notes in that range?
Stereo is left and right. There will be no information lost.

What is happening, IMHO (which will be pounced on) is that your rear drivers have a different response than your front drivers. It may seem like the music begins from the rear but those drivers may have a higher sensitivity in those frequencies. There is no information telling your rears to do something that will be lost.

·
Registered
365 Posts
If your front speakers aren't playing those opening notes, then you have an issue with your speakers, crossover, or setup. While I personally like rear fill, it can't magically add surround encoding and playback to a stereo CD.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
A CD literally is recorded with only 2 channels...

Left and Right....

explain to me then, where the "rear only" music is coming from???

·
Registered
343 Posts
Sounds to me your losing some frequencies going from the factory system to your external amp.

I know you posted a while back about adding a cleansweep or something similar. Did you end up doing that?

I'm local and can help out if ya need.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
Yeah sorry buddy, your rear speakers are getting the same information as your front speakers. I don't doubt that they sound different, you probably have a much different response in your front speakers from your rear speakers, but CD's are only recorded in 2 channels the front right and rear right speakers are getting the same information.

·
Registered
193 Posts
If your music seems to "enter from the rear" as YOU put it, then it is quite possible LEFT and RIGHT are opposite of LEFT and RIGHT channels up front. Honestly, you're not going to LOSE information/sound data. If you are into sound quality and stay in the hobby long enough, eventually you will ditch the rear fill and put your money into more amplifier power and the speakers of your dreams.

And... LEAVE the speaker holes open; particularly, if you have a sub in your trunk.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sounds to me your losing some frequencies going from the factory system to your external amp.

I know you posted a while back about adding a cleansweep or something similar. Did you end up doing that?

I'm local and can help out if ya need.
I got the Kenwood amp I mentioned above, which has a DSP, so with that and a Navone LOC I don't think I'll need the Cleansweep. I'm sending you a PM.

·
Banned
1,808 Posts

·
Registered
4,061 Posts
Do you happen to have your amp RCA for Front/Back instead of Left/Right which is stereo? Getting rid of the rear fill should not effect the stereo image in a negative way at all...only makes it better!!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts