DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

i've been reading up alot on DIY setups lately, and i'm about to jump in and buy some seas lotus drivers. but i have some tuning questions.

so basically, when you go active crossovers, how do you percisely set your cross over points?? I use a diamond D7 amp, and the crossover knob's are pretty broad, starting at like 60 hz all the way to 5khz. how do i tell if i tuned in the correct crossover frequency?

I have a nakamichi headunit that does not have crossover capabilities, so everything will have to be done externally. How does everyone else dial in there crossover points on an active setup?

Any insight would be great,
Thanks

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was refering more to hardware that change settings, not hardware used to check settings.

Like proccesors? or equalizers? what are the popular ones that people use?

·
Registered
250 Posts
The two main hardwares that people use to fine tune their systems are Equalizers and Active crossovers.

Equalizer should be the last thing that is added to your system. The more important things to worry about is leveling out the gain on the amp and choosing the right crossover points. There are plenty of systems out there that sounds awesome without any use of equalizers. I can't say how many systems sounds great (to my ears) without proper use of crossover, because there aren't any.

How are you wanting to run your speakers? Are you going to go full active (ie. tweeters and mids have their own channels)? If so, I'm not sure what the capabilities of that D7 amp, but I doubt you will be able to bandpass filter the mid (anyone confirm this?).

I dont use the amp's crossover because like you said, it is too broad. I can't tell if i'm actually at 200hz or 250hz. Which is why I bought the Alpine H701 to do all my processing. You can choose the crossover point and it will be displayed on the controller so you wont have to guess what freq your speakers are crossed at. EQs are very flexible and not to mention time alignment. It makes such a big difference to have a focused sound stage.

Be prepare to pay a hefty price though, but I think it's worth it if you're serious about audio.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'd say in order of importance:

1. Equalizer
2. Time alignment (for door mounted systems)
3. Active crossover

And I do say equalizers are the most important, especially for a car since ANY install will have some serious frequency response issues that need to be dealt with no matter what drivers are used, how much deadener is used, or where the drivers are located. It's also nice to be able to contour the sound to your preference with just a few buttons.

Or just pickup a Behringer dcx2496 that will do it all and more in the group buy for under $200 :) (or so I hear)

Also it doesn't matter if you're exactly on the point you think you are on, because you'll be tuning by ear just stop it when it sounds "right".

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so would a Clarion DRZ9255 solve all my problems?

I already have a nakamichi cd400, so getting an eclipse would be a bit pointless... might was well upgrade to the next level.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i wouldn't even know where to begin with the Behringer dcx2496 in my car...

i doesnt look like it belongs in a car.

npdang: my local mom'pop's audio shop has the eclipse cd8455, clarion drz9255, and nakamichi cd700II on display powered by an audison vrx 2 channel with class A modulator plugin on the Diamond D9 components. The nak cd700 utterly destroys the other 2 unit in terms of details and quality. But the nak cd700 is also the most featureless unit out of the 3. But in terms of just as a source unit, it kick ass.... not to mention it's alot more expensive though.

But i do agree with you, in the DIY world, the nak isn't that great unless your using all external processing and only using at as a source unit.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
I'm just really excited about the Behringer... it's so cheap, and the functionality is amazing. There's nothing really comparable to it in car audio. All you would need to do is add something like a Rane balance buddy and you're good to go.

As far as headunits, I can't say I've ever heard a difference in sound quality that couldn't be fixed with tone controls. Just my humble opinion, I know many feel differently. Also, the nak's I've owned just sucked... had huge problems reading discs, skipping, and overheating. This is with several of their cd45 units I believe it was.

·
Ignorance is Bliss
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yes, in the matter of fact the reason why i'm planning on replaceing my nak cd400 is because the track pickup is about to fail. the cheaper nak's are made with lesser parts, and this is a known issue that even my dealer told me.

So anyone intrested in a cheaper nakamichi head unit, you have been warned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.