1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With these items i have.
Hood Automotive lighting Rectangle Automotive tire Bumper

Gadget Gas Electronic device Composite material Rectangle

2 sets of NOS never used a/d/s 300i plate speakers (Vintage 1985) and a Mcintosh 420 amp.
I don't want cd or tape, only flac files or higher. I called crutchfield and he sent me 6 decks and not one was available even lol. I don't care the cost it just has to be available.

·
Registered
635 Posts
OOOOOH Baby. So tasty. Yes, I remember those. I run the box versions in my dining room. ADS in the shop. There's something they just got....right.
Damn I miss the 80s

I've been through all of the DSPs that will be recommended.

Old school, keep it simple, with the new tech, this is my choice;
Checks all of your boxes.

I bought... probably one of the last nos P99s.

Buy this before I do.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
OOOOOH Baby. So tasty. Yes, I remember those. I run the box versions in my dining room. ADS in the shop. There's something they just got....right.
Damn I miss the 80s

Buy this before I do.
The guy at crutchfield never mentioned that.. what the heck? He sent me a list after a 30 min talk and when I opened it... LOL View attachment 333662
Damn I miss the 80s

Buy this before I do.
I don't see any manufacturer that makes anything near this deck, and you are right It checks all the boxes. Pretty sexy unit. I haven't listened to the 300i speakers since the mid 80's when I last used a pair in a 1982 Chevy truck but I remember the sound perfectly. They were magic. I shouldn't mention the fact I have a NOS pair of Infinity I car plates also...the emit tweeter was amazing in my 77' 280z back in the day. Now I'm glad life got in the way of installing them back in the day. Pretty exciting going back to relive the good old days.
Thanks for the info, I'll call on the deck tomorrow and order the sony.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
I wouldn’t use a hu unless I had to use cd and then it would be only a cd transport with digital output 🤷🏼‍♂️ Not for pure sq, you can have the best dac on a hu ever and you then convert it back to digital and most dsps lose quality at this point, then sort room acoustics and use the dsp dac so the dsp dac will be the limiting factor along with however the adc degraded the signal… so use a phone or dap… save cd as flac and send digital direct to the dsp, it preserves the signal as much as it can

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
If I felt like I could ditch the modern conveniences of Carplay, I agree with Rob, the P99 is beautiful, it mine hadn't been stolen I probably wouldn't have switched to a DD with Carplay.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
It's unfortunate that it's $$$ to go digital all the way to the amps... :poop::poop:

Edit: I guess I should ask, how much more is it for a Helix/Zapco w/ all digital outputs as opposed to analogs?
While digital is nice, and helps simplify the wiring, there's no reason that analog should have a negative impact on sound quality. In 2022 it would be great if everything had digital inputs and outputs, but it's mostly just a convienience issue, not a sound quality issue assuming good RCAs are used.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I haven't had the opportunity to any up to date comparisons, but I prefer analog over digital. From past experience, digital is very lacking in reproduction. Doesn't seem as lifelike, missing parts of the audio spectrum, not sure how to properly explain it. I'm sure digital has come a long ways since then though. I'd be curious to do some comparisons though

as for HU choice for the OP's question, I am not sure. I have been fine with my Kenwood XR. Not even sure if anyone makes anything too special. Or in the OP's case, maybe something old school

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Personally I would do a CD HU from the same era (like the DRX9255 in the classifieds or that Nak above, P9, etc) analog to a DSP and then use a Phone/DAP or other USB source to one of the digital inputs on the DSP.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Like INFRNL above I have a Kenwood XR screen and it is great. In my next car if I have to keep factory source I will be going with a DSP to integrate and a digital source standalone on another input.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Personally I would do a CD HU from the same era (like the DRX9255 in the classifieds or that Nak above, P9, etc) analog to a DSP and then use a Phone/DAP or other USB source to one of the digital inputs on the DSP.
My wife! Before anyone gets bent out of shape. My wife is as golden as golden is! She would laugh her a** off at my comment! She likes joking around, I love her for that , been together for 30+ years and married since 2003.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
With these items i have. View attachment 333658
View attachment 333657
2 sets of NOS never used a/d/s 300i plate speakers (Vintage 1985) and a Mcintosh 420 amp.
I don't want cd or tape, only flac files or higher. I called crutchfield and he sent me 6 decks and not one was available even lol. I don't care the cost it just has to be available.
I know that you said no CD or Tape, but a 1980's old school dual-shaft Concord AM/FM/Cassette head unit would be a nice match :p or that Nak posted above. Or the McIntosh MX-5000 with Digital Coaxial I/O. My preference would be an old school Sony ES CDX-C910 or CDX-C90 with the digital output if they were still available and reliable. I still use the CDX-C90 in one of my installs and even via its analog RCA outputs it holds its own against any other source I've used.

If you're going for pure SQ and want to play FLAC files exclusively, I would use a high end portable DAP, or an Android tablet or smartphone with the USB Audio Player Pro app, or the Onkyo HF player app on iPhone/iPad with a CCK3 via USB input to the DSP.

I use an iBasso DAP via its analog LO or digital coaxial into my DSPs and it's as good as anything I've heard. Michael Meyers ( @audiophile25 ) was using the Analog out from an iBasso DX-160 DAP in his Subaru Forester SQ system and has done well with it in competition.

If you want modern convenience features, a high end double-DIN or large floating screen head unit would be the way to go. Some of these use a single-DIN chassis and adjustable placement screens in order to fit in older vehicles with a single-DIN opening.

The new Alpine Halo iLX-F509/F511 or iLX-507 units are amazing (7" DD and larger 9" & 11" floating screens), as well as any of the Kenwood eXcelon Reference (XR) DD & floating screen units, or the Sony XAV-9500ES (which is the update to the RSX-GS9 and has a better DAC).

In one of the recent 5 Star Car Stereo livestream YouTube videos, Dean (installer) said that Paul (the shop owner) had just got in a large shipment of many of those hard to find DD and floating screen head units and was willing to ship them. The phone number was in the YouTube video, or look them up in Clearwater, FL.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
P99
The rca outputs can be used as full range? Or are they filtered high med and low?
Can the filter be defeated ?
I have the sony on the way but I'd like a couple other units to try. One being the 99 and a Japanese version of the 99 for collectibility. I don't see how to make the rca outputs full range output.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The rca outputs can be used as full range? Or are they filtered high med and low?
Can the filter be defeated ?
I have the sony on the way but I'd like a couple other units to try. One being the 99 and a Japanese version of the 99 for collectibility. I don't see how to make the rca outputs full range output.

Download the Installation and Owners Manuals at the bottom of the page...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Money no object?

I would get an iPad Pro maxed-out storage wise (I happen to be in the Apple camp) and an audio interface like this and get them integrated into the dash --- or if for some bizarre reason you were weird 😉 and preferred Android you could get a high-end Android head unit that already has digital out.

I would get an unlimited data plan for my device (iPad or HU) and stream new stuff in lossless mode; and load up the on-device library with the best FLACs I could get my hands on.

Then I would run the digital out to a proper DSP system, and go analog from there to your McIntosh.

And I'd hire a squad of ex-Marines to guard it so it didn't go AWOL on you...

*yeah, yeah - I know - once a Marine, always a Marine 🫡

1 - 20 of 24 Posts