1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Depends what frequency range you're going to run them at... Honestly, I don't think either of those speakers would handle 250 watts very well.
At 80Hz; 250 watts is going to consistently bottom-out both of them... but I susepct the Focal may last a bit longer, before the voice coil burns up.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
The Silver Flute in 6.5" was one of the worst speakers I ever put in a door. Install-equal, I replaced them (quickly) with Audio Development W600's and never looked back. This was back in 2014-15 or so.

Extremely low Qts means in an IB config, you're going to have a hard time controlling that cone. I had to get my crossover point uncomfortably high with them, and the midrange was "honking". I was using an MS-8 at that time so the damn things shouldn't have sounded too bad, but they did.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Loose suspension in a door = poor low frequency. If you don't mind crossing high and sometimes up to 120hz if pouring on the power (surely not 250!), then a quick snappy mid can work.

Man & Machine... Power Extreme!

·
Registered
11,968 Posts
The Silver Flute in 6.5" was one of the worst speakers I ever put in a door. Install-equal, I replaced them (quickly) with Audio Development W600's and never looked back. This was back in 2014-15 or so.

Extremely low Qts means in an IB config, you're going to have a hard time controlling that cone. I had to get my crossover point uncomfortably high with them, and the midrange was "honking". I was using an MS-8 at that time so the damn things shouldn't have sounded too bad, but they did.
I had the oposite experience. I had those in the door of my fiesta and they pounded. I crossed them at 75 with a JL 300/2 going to them and they never gave up. I did cross them at about 1500 where my HLCDs took over, so I cant speak to where that "honking" might have occured, I never heard it.

I have a pair of the 8" in my Taco now, and love them. good midbass and pretty solid up to about 2khz. wouldnt recommend them higher than that though.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Assuming the intended application is for your doors, then you are comparing two very different drivers based off their specs alone - not price.

Unless you plan on building a fully sealed or ported enclosure into your door, then the the silver flutes are a poor choice. With a Qts of .24 it's ideal enclosure is ported. The Focal has a Qts of .86 which means it's intended application is for a typical door install.

No matter how much deadening you do to a door, you will always have huge leak points. There are weep holes at the bottom of a door to allow rain water to drain out, the window gasket, door card attachment hole points, the gaping hole for the window mechanism, etc. In other words, doors should be treated as infinite baffle installs. The higher the Qts of a driver, the more it's geared for IB use.

In addition, the silver flutes use a paper based cone. Paper based cones are for home audio where it's more climate controlled. Car doors are high humidity locations when it rains. Paper cones absorb moisture which alters the drivers' performance since the Mms (weight of the cone) increases. Depending on where you live, ambient temperatures can be 20 degrees in the winter to over a 120 in the summer. The dramatic swing means you want a stable cone material. Paper cones just aren't suited for this environment.

I can keep pointing out issues, but suffice to say, the silver flutes aren't the best idea.

·
Registered
7,203 Posts
Weathering is one of the primary reasons I trust Audiofrog so much. I replaced a failed set of Image Dynamics X69 woofers with Audiofrog GS690s. The same set of G690's that had been in another vehicle of mine for 3+ years in the doors, and looked brand new still. The X69's didn't even last two years and the cones were warped, the magnets rusted, and the coils locked up.

DIY speakers for home use are not built to the same level as a speaker like the GS690, especially when it comes to its design specifically being made for automotive door installation. Its a gamble (or really just a matter of time till failure) with speakers lacking some level of design specifically made to survive the extremes of the automotive environment. Essentially, it must be an "outdoor" speaker.

The fact that a speaker like that has the "ideal" Qts for an in-door installation is a nice bonus. Sounds like the same thing for Focal, though I'd go Audiofrog before Focal just on SQ goals (laid back sound vs. in your face sound.... a personal decision.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts