DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just that. buddy has a gen1 solo baric 15 in a really nice sealed box. what is it worth in todays market? i'm not interested in it as much as to help him move it off his garage shelf. i can post a few pictures if need be.

NEUMAN

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not like it helps too much but when i bought the original L5 solo 10 inch back in the day it was like 130 i believe.....it matters def if its a L5 or L7 as well

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Are you talking about the new solobaric (L5 or L7) or the original round one's from the mid 90's (btw, the best sq subs kicker ever made, imo)?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i will say this slower for the younger crowd "1st generation" round 15 smooth cone. no L5 or L7. by the way the L5 came out after the L7 as a cheaper version of the "cool" square sub. sub is as pictured below. he has all the missing pieces from around the surround just need to glue them back on. or throw it in a nicely tuned band bass. i called kicker today and asked them the real reason they recommended sealed only and its do to a soft spider design. so a true ported or vented enclosure will just tear them apart.

NEUMAN

Attachments

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I still have three 10", I was thinking of selling them but probably they are not worth a lot, to be honest I don't want to sell them, if that gives you an idea on how good are they!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
My friend bought a S10c this past March Off of ebay for $75 shipped. I could see a S15a-d selling for around $125 in good condition.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
Believe it or not, the round ones are my favorite. The squares will never sound anywhere near as good as the round solo's. Also the round ones where made here in Oklahoma, USA.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Personally, I would expect to pay at least $100 + shipping for it. Realistically, it just depends on how bad somebody wants it.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Didn't the original say "solobaric" on the dust cap in gold or something and then it had the kicker logo "K" on the dust cap and then the "s", if my memory serves me correctly. I may be wrong, but I never thought there was much of a difference other than cosmetics though.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
My only concern with any of the older Solobaric subs would be the foam surrounds. If they were stored or installed in less than ideal circumstances, that foam won't last long.

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
My only concern with any of the older Solobaric subs would be the foam surrounds. If they were stored or installed in less than ideal circumstances, that foam won't last long.
So true. I was lucky to get a semi-new original Blues woofer with the surround in new condition. For something thats over 15years old it sure does look new.

But if speakers are stored outside (like in garages with no temperature control) then yes they rot right away.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
So true. I was lucky to get a semi-new original Blues woofer with the surround in new condition. For something thats over 15years old it sure does look new.

But if speakers are stored outside (like in garages with no temperature control) then yes they rot right away.
wow, blast from the past. I had a pair of BL10s for more than 10 years before they were stolen. (I was very sad) one of the best woofers that stillwater designs ever made IMHO.

*edit* holy crap, did you know they still make these?
Blues Car Audio

although they only make the BL10 now and they are $340 :eek: ( I bought mine 15 years ago for $89)

·
Registered
3,522 Posts
wow, blast from the past. I had a pair of BL10s for more than 10 years before they were stolen. (I was very sad) one of the best woofers that stillwater designs ever made IMHO.

*edit* holy crap, did you know they still make these?
Blues Car Audio

although they only make the BL10 now and they are $340 :eek: ( I bought mine 15 years ago for $89)
Yeah I've been knowing of the new Blues speakers. I've met Ray twice and went to Jeri's house where they where making the new Linear Power amps. It was neat to be right next to the new amps while being built.

·
Registered
53 Posts
The sub you pictured is NOT a first generation Solobaric. If my memory is correct it is fourth generation.

These are the original Solo's:

I had 2 of those back in the day in 12" but I thought it was a little slopy and muddy so I sold it ... that's was my thought for the kicker subs tho :blush:

·
Registered
1,017 Posts

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Are you talking about the new solobaric (L5 or L7) or the original round one's from the mid 90's (btw, the best sq subs kicker ever made, imo)?

^^

I have to agree, the round solobarics are the best sounding woofers that Kicker ever sold.

·
Inappropriate Thoughts
4,005 Posts
I replaced a pair of 10" Savard Hi-Q subs in a sealed enclosure with a single Solobaric 12 in 1997. I regained most of the trunk in my '96 Thunderbird and actually preferred the bass provided by the Solobaric. A buddy of mine is still running that Solobaric 12 with my circa 1989 pre-HD punch 150. He dropped by the house last month just to BS and showed me that he was still running the gear I sold him back in 2000.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts