DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After 20 years of fabricating I sometimes look back at the way I once used to do things and wonder how I ever arrived at the point that I am at now.

I haven't used fleece to form a fiberglass project even once in the last 6 years or so. I currently make most of my fiberglass projects by glassing the vehicle, adding expanding foam, glassing over the expanding foam, removing the foam and bonding the two layers of glass together. This gives me a three dimensional piece with a hallow center. I think that the final result is much nicer and blends with the vehicle much better because I am not limited to volcano looking contours.

Fleece is a great way to get started with fiberglass fabrication (I know it was quite the breakthrough for me), but it is cursed with structural problems that has put it on my list of last resorts. These days I have to be in a real time crunch with a serious budget limitation in order to even consider using fleece. Having said that, my criteria for making that decision is quite different than the average DIY'er. As a professional I have to be concerned with things like: how long this piece will last in the real world (because I warrant my work for the life time of the vehicle), will the final fit and finish of the project exceeded that of the original equipment, and so on.

Today I was fortunate enough to encounter an avid participant of this forum (in real life, not on the forum) who informed me that this site might be a good place to share my techniques. So here I am, and input and questions are welcome.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

That's a beautiful panel you built. There's a build thread section on here it'd be nice to see a walk through of one of your builds.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The grill ring is actually a dark metallic silver with a high gloss, so it looks real dark in the pics but metallic in person. The ring is made of MDF, primed with Evercoat Slick Sand, Painted, and clear coated.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My favorite part of this build is that there will be 8 Bad Ass focal mid bass drivers in total on a completely active system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Nice work. I like how you incorporated the pockets.

8 mid bass drivers all active. Whoah!! Should have some punch.

What are you using for processing and what is the other gear in the car?

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Bit one, 2 Audison AV Quattros, JL 1000/1, Kenwood Double DIN Nav, 2 JL Audio 12W6s, Three way Focal up front (Focal K2 Power 165 KRX3, doubled up on mid bass), Focal TN53K tweeters in the rear with the big three way mid bass doubled up as well. Two Kinetik power cells.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Bit one, 2 Audison AV Quattros, JL 1000/1, Kenwood Double DIN Nav, 2 JL Audio 12W6s, Three way Focal up front (Focal K2 Power 165 KRX3, doubled up on mid bass), Focal TN53K tweeters in the rear with the big three way mid bass doubled up as well. Two Kinetik power cells.
What is your opinion of the Kinetik batts, seeing as you give warranty?
Quick thoughts as I don't want taint this great thread.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Those door panels look amazing...
I'm in for a full build log on those 8 focal midbass drivers :eek:

·
Registered
316 Posts
A tutorial on this technique would be awesome!

Cheers!

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Great work, but did I miss where you've stated what type of car all of that gear will be installed into ?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts